• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Music in the otherkin community

Hi! I am currently a music student and have been thinking a lot about how music functions in different communities and how people use it to connect with one another. I am kind of new to the otherkin community and have been wondering what role music plays in this group.

I have tried to find otherkin artists but haven't found too many. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or recommendations for places to look? Does anyone wish there were more artists who represented the otherkin community?

I've also been thinking a lot about music and the role it's played in my own identity. Does anyone else feel like music makes an impact on how they identify in the otherkin community? If anyone kins more than one identity, do you listen to music differently because of this?

In my opinion, music is an important means of connecting with one another. Had music helped anyone feel more connected in the otherkin community?

If anyone has thoughts or general comments they would like to share about any experiences they have had with music in the otherkin community, I would greatly appreciate it!

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
well, Hi there! Im Pearl, the local ink being. This question may be better suited for a thread in the zoology lab subforum, its dedicated to such studies!

I dont know of any more artists who are otherkin, but I know a few who put off that vibe. I am by no means claiming that they are, but I do listen to their songs because I feel in some way I cannot quite describe that they relate to my identity, the artists in question being Cosmo Sheldrake, and Lemon Demon.

However there are plenty of songs that I feel relate to my identity on some level even if I cannot describe how. If you would like a list of some, let me know!

well, Hi there! Im Pearl, the local ink being. This question may be better suited for a thread in the zoology lab subforum, its dedicated to such studies!

I dont know of any more artists who are otherkin, but I know a few who put off that vibe. I am by no means claiming that they are, but I do listen to their songs because I feel in some way I cannot quite describe that they relate to my identity, the artists in question being Cosmo Sheldrake, and Lemon Demon.

However there are plenty of songs that I feel relate to my identity on some level even if I cannot describe how. If you would like a list of some, let me know!
This is awesome! Yeah, if you have any songs you would be willing to share, that would be great!

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
i have a lot kinda

So, starting with the aforementioned artists
By Cosmo:
Come along
The moss

Lemon Demon:
Touch Tone Telephone
Aurora Borealis
Eigth wonder

for miscellaneous artists
Would you be impressed: streetlight manifesto
Handlebars: flobots
Alien Boy: Oliver Tree
American Trash: Innerpartysytem
Soldier, poet, king: The Oh Hellos
House of Wolves: MCR
Mama: Mcr
Proffesional Griefers: DeadMau5
Saint Bernard: Lincoln

just to name a few

i have a lot kinda

So, starting with the aforementioned artists
By Cosmo:
Come along
The moss

Lemon Demon:
Touch Tone Telephone
Aurora Borealis
Eigth wonder

for miscellaneous artists
Would you be impressed: streetlight manifesto
Handlebars: flobots
Alien Boy: Oliver Tree
American Trash: Innerpartysytem
Soldier, poet, king: The Oh Hellos
House of Wolves: MCR
Mama: Mcr
Proffesional Griefers: DeadMau5
Saint Bernard: Lincoln

just to name a few
Thank you! I'll definitely give these a listen!

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
If you're writing up a formal paper or making a study it should go in the Zoolology section with mod approval, but if you're just curious in general, it's fine to ask here.

There are several music threads within the forum you'll probably want to look at. Music is something that comes up repeatedly, but there is no specific genre that everyone enjoys.

I'm not sure what bands if any are truly otherkin, but I've seen a few that make me wonder. There's Mortiis, who perform in troll costume. And take a look at the video for "human" by The Killers, with its obvious animal themes. The lyrics "Are we human, or are we dancer?" resonates with the idea of otherkin quite well. "Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica is also pretty relevant, given the huge number of wolf therians around, although I'm pretty sure they would scoff at the idea of otherkin.

Most of the music you'll find in the lists are kintype specific and might not be as relevant to others. Puscifer's "Momma Sed" is quite relevant to my kintype, but might not mean anything to anyone else.

A major example is the composer Karlheinz Stockhausen (1928-2007), he was very open about identifying as an alien from Sirius since 1976, this caused all sorts of problems in terms of his work not being as respected after that point.

These 'starseeds' (or 'alienkin') mostly pre-dated the modern Otherkin community, originating from the late 1960's, but clearly there's not too much difference between them and the 1970's Elven groups, which are more directly related to what exists today. I think the starseeds should count.

I'd highly recommend this lecture by respected academic, historian of religion Dr. Wouter Hanegraaff, on the esoteric and spiritual aspects of Stockhausen's music, which had been there all along not just since 1976.

Such aspects are just beginning to be discussed, after decades of neglect in favor of more 'formalistic' innovation, which is a misreading of Stockhausen's intentions and work. This history of reception of Stockhausen's music is also discussed in the video.

Hope this helps!