• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Music that reminds you of your kintype?

kasdeya

So, I was thinking... There are a few songs that give me really strong succubus vibes, and sometimes I like to listen to them as a way of feeling closer to my kintype. It can be very comforting, in a way that I don't completely understand.

Do any of you have music like that? For example, something that you associate with your kintype? I'd be interested to hear it.

ylvathrall

I have a lengthy list of it - I'm a wolf, which makes it easier to find than a lot of kintypes. My favorite is the German song Wolfstraum by Subway to Sally, but others that I listen to include Beast Within by In This Moment, Howl by Florence and the Machine, Wolfen by E Nomine and Wolfsballade by Cultus Ferox (also in German), and Lupus Dei by Powerwolf. Oh, and if I want to cry, The Last Amazing Grays by Sonata Arctica does it every time.

There's also a ton of werewolf music, a lot of which also feels relevant sometimes. But that isn't as good for making me feel connected.

I have a lengthy list of it - I'm a wolf, which makes it easier to find than a lot of kintypes. My favorite is the German song Wolfstraum by Subway to Sally, but others that I listen to include Beast Within by In This Moment, Howl by Florence and the Machine, Wolfen by E Nomine and Wolfsballade by Cultus Ferox (also in German), and Lupus Dei by Powerwolf. Oh, and if I want to cry, The Last Amazing Grays by Sonata Arctica does it every time.

There's also a ton of werewolf music, a lot of which also feels relevant sometimes. But that isn't as good for making me feel connected.
Very good choices 🤩

In this moment is one I associate with my nonhuman part too! Big bad wolf mostly, never heard beast within, so going to give it a listen right away. Other than that, depends. Sometimes I have song I associate to my nonhuman side because I heard them as I grew up and today remind me of my nonhumanity due to it being more apparent in my past, as well as the imagery I imagine, like Aigle Noir by Barbara and L'eau Vive by Guy Béart. Other in french are Mutatis Mutandis by Juliette, kinda obviously because of the theme of shapeshifting, and In extremis by Cabrel just because birds I suppose? Sometimes I don't really have reason why they do that, just does. 

Then in english, roundtable rival by lindsey Stirling, fast pace just make me think of flight. A few vocaloid, like honey i'm home or circus monster also hit a spot. 

Snowshoe

Hozier's music in general gives me good vibes and makes me feel more catlike. No song in particular that I can think of at the moment, it is more his musical styling that speaks to me! Florence and the Machine has the same effect, and again I can't name a song in particular right now. 

Oakburr

Not really any one specific song but certainly specific kinds of music. Usually either sad songs or songs of defiance. 

Syr: The Winter King is perhaps the best band to really help me connect with Zykira. 

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Faze

Unverified
I actually have playlists of songs on this subject. If I had to choose one song from each, though?

Deinonychus - "Predator & Prey" by Inon Zur

Cybertronian - As a species - "Fin" by Terrortron

Cybertronian - As me specifically - "Fly For Your Life" by Gunship

velos

Oh man, over the years I’ve ended up making playlists for different moods I experience (experiences?) and connect it back. 

A lot of the music I connect back to my fictotype isn’t always about the lyrics, but rather how the song makes me feel.

Some I’ve been listening to lately are these:

I was Rodimus Prime, and I remember dealing with a lot of complicated feelings for as long as I had lived.

All of these songs encompass a complexity that isn’t easily labeled into a single emotion. There’s grief, love, hope, loss, secrecy, despair, self-criticism, yearning, etc. etc. I couldn’t name all the emotions that these songs make me feel even if I wanted to. 

They all mean a lot to me, and I find every single one gorgeous in its own right. 

uncanny

Occasionally fun dance music might put me in a bit of a raven-esque mood, but there's no music that really brings out any of my theriotypes. For my fictotypes, I have a lot of music that will make me shift. Most of it (like Cavetown, The Postal Service, or certain songs like Give Me Something by The Man Who or Summer Nights by Siames) is just a combination of "this music feels in line with this character's personality even if the lyrics don't" and "I was listening to this a lot while questioning the fictotype."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7fVGVV7lY

(Not sure how to get that to embed as a video.)

Other songs, though, the lyrics will really bring out a shift, like this one.

CopperCoyote

Anything from this or this album. 
Hey, I'm a huge fan of Twenty One Pilots too  :foxheart:

I wouldn't say their music really makes me feel all that shifty though.  Possibly a couple from Self-Titled but not all of them (Jonny Boy just gives me a headache.  Or should I say . . . a Migrain!?  Eh?  Eh?) and maybe Kitchen Sink and Forest from Regional at Best but that's about it.

EDIT:  I forgot about trees.  That really gets to me too . . . but only the Vessel version.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
Although this song I associate with a character of mine, she’s a jaguar shapeshifter, and the feelings are triggered by the song pretty consistently. Her losing control and transforming in a heat of (violent) passion. Jaguars aren’t inherently violent creatures, but having that much physical power is something that I definitely feel when I listen to this song.

Both of these songs have really great build-up too, go figure haha.