Needlework | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Needlework

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by St Claire, Jul 30, 2015.

1. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Hello, just wondering if anyone here is interested in needlework?

I was introduced to cross stitch by my high school home ec. teacher. My Nana, who was an avid cross stitcher, taught me how to read the patterns, how best to start, how to prevent knots, etc. Unfortunately my Nana can't do cross stitch anymore as her hands shake too much, so I have inherited all of her threads, cloth, and frames.

My favourite patterns to make are nature and scenery, especially Australian scenery. I like to turn the patterns upside-down so the top-left becomes the bottom-right, and this is where I start from. I'm very good at starting a pattern and then not finishing it :p. I've often found that it can be therapeutic, the repetitive motions help me to calm down and relax, and it keeps my hands busy when I feel particularly fidgety.

If you do needlework, what type do you prefer? What type of patterns do you like to make? When/where did you first discover it?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kimber

Kimber Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.16
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Ohh cross stitch is one of my favourite pass times. I find it so relaxing.
    I first started cross stitching when I was around 10. My mom bought me my first simple little one, it was a happy sun flower, and she taught me how to do it and all her little tricks, a lot like you Nana from the sounds of it :)
    Like you I seem to have a problem finishing the patterns I start. I tend to get distracted and excited about new ones I find haha.
    My favourite patterns personally are animals, especially colourful ones such as parrots and underwater fish scenes.

That's really neat that you start from the bottom. I've always learned to start from the middle but ti's always cool to see how others do things.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.55
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I do a lot of cross stitching and sewing too. Usually what I'll do is find a picture I like or make one and upload it on bracelet books. It's a site dedicated to patterns for friendship bracelets but you can do your own pictures. It puts it in a pixel grid that I can use to make the pattern. I have a picture of one of the pieces I did using that way and there's also a site you can look up that gives you color thread closest to your picture's colors too though I don't remember what the link was.

One is koi fish swimming around each other with the harmony symbol in the center. The other is a wolf in front of a full moon.

~Jessie

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Wow! I'll definitely have to check out that site, and hopefully I'll be able to find the colour site too. Thanks!

5. BlackberryBunny

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Another cross stitcher here! I like to stitch one color at the time and move from left bottom-corner to right top-corner :3 I'll send a pic of the picture I'm currently working on when I'll get home. It has really nice shading in it!

6. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    I also do one colour at a time, I think I would get confused if I tried to do more than one haha. I can't wait to see your project!

7. BlackberryBunny

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Here what I've been working on :) It has been my biggest project so far and I have put like 40 hours or more into it :D stitching is just so relaxing

Attached Files:

8. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    It's beautiful, you'll have to show us when it's finished.