New here, just discovered what I am.

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Hi! My name is Leaniz, or at least that's my online name. I recently discovered I am a polymorph, and it has helped explain a lot.
Usually I have these dreams where I am different beasts, and everytime the beast is different but the areas were the same and people would recognize me no matter my form. I did some research, and after a lot of thinking and a lot of naps, I'm proud to say I'm otherkin!
So, any help with learning the terms would be appreciated! And sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot and there's some thread out there just for this sort of stuff.

Witchkat

Jun 19, 2020
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
HI!! Nice to meet you! I think generally this would be considered an introduction, which other folks have been putting in the Forum "Scent Rolling", but unless someone asks to move it (who isn't me, and has more mod powers lmao) I'm sure its okay for now!

What are your Kintypes if you don't mind me asking?? I'm Jaguarkin :)

I hope you find the community welcoming!

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
I'm a polymorph I think, at least based on me looking at what other people were saying a brief look at the description of polymorphs.

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Hi! Maybe you can help explain a little more about me then! Also, are there any terms I need to know?

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
I was going through the settings, and what are the differences in the shifting experiences? Well, what are shifting experiences anyways?

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
Nov 8, 2018
Bones
🦴7.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
A shift is a change in state to feeling more or less like your kintype. This is just a very basic summery of the shifts listed in the profile options. We did have a library article covering all the different shifts but it seems our Library didn't make it in the site move. Hopefully Naia has the articles saved and we can get them back up soon.
Not every otherkin experiences shifts and the strength and duration of shifts can vary a lot person to person. It's also possible to shift to something which isn't a kintype, in which case it's called cameo shift.

Phantom Shift - Feeling as though you have a body part that's not physically there. For example feeling as though you have ears and a tail.
Mental Shift - Taking on the mindset of your kintype, a shift in your thought processes or instincts.
Dream Shift - Shifting within a dream.
Astral Shift - Shifting within the astral plane.
Aura Shift - Where your aura takes on the shape/energy of your kintype.
Sensory Shifting - Where it feels as though your senses become hightened. For example you rely more on your sense of smell and may pick up scents others miss.
Vacillant therian - A therian who experiences a constant state of animality with minor fluctuations in strength.
Contherian - A therian who experiences a constant state of animality which is consistent and unchanging.

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
Nov 8, 2018
Bones
🦴7.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I have no experience with either of those things personally I'm afraid.

This thread has some info on the astral plane: https://www.kinmunity.com/threads/astral-shifting-experiences.394/
Auras... some people say they can see or sense them. If you can't and don't know people who can then I guess you wouldn't know. Not everyone will believe in them either so if it's relevant to you or not is a personal thing.

Last edited:

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
Nov 8, 2018
Bones
🦴7.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Well, it's not really good or bad.
Everyone's experiences are different and there's no right or wrong when it comes to shifts. Some otherkin may experience a lot of shifts and some may not have any. We're all different and that's fine.

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Well, it's good to know that I'm not messing anything up then! Is there anything else I should know about polymorphs or otherkin in general?

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Feb 6, 2019
Bones
🦴17.02BN
Pronouns
Polymorph isn't really a species, it's an ability that some species have. So, you might want to look around at various shapeshifting types and see what sounds right to you. You could be a spirit-type that doesn't really have a body to begin with. Or there are those who are made of goo like Odo from Deep space Nine, or one of the living metal Terminators. Or there are those who transform using magic, which could be a number of different supernatural things. On a related note, some glamours can resemble shapeshifting by creating an illusion. So, there are still plenty of things to look into there.

There's usually some mental shifting involved when I take on a different form, usually in meditation. It's goes more in depth than just looking like the animal in question, I start to feel like it as well if the shift goes deep enough. These other shifts are not kintypes, they're just cameos. Some polymorphs have a hard time figuring out what their kintype is because of all the false positives.

Not enough shifting makes me feel stuck and stagnant. Shifting too much can lead to identity issues, or feeling unfocused or scattered. Obviously I can't shape shift in real life, so I meditate, enter a mindspace and try out different forms that way.

Although I technically could shift into just about any animal, and a few things that aren't animals, I do have favorite forms that I keep coming back to. I do notice phantom limbs every day, but they're not always the same. Sometimes I have back wings and sometimes arm wings. Sometimes a tail and sometimes not. Usually they're from one of my preferred shifts, but not always. I do mix and match different creatures together. And even when I shift human as part of the mix, it doesn't always look the same, and it often doesn't look like how I do normally. Human is just another shift.

Leaniz

Jun 28, 2020
Bones
🦴2.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Oh, I dreamshift a lot into certain things, and I guess when I daydream and I feel myself shift I guess that's like mental shifting, but I don't usually get phantom limbs unless I'm alone and I let my mind wander pretty far. Then it feels like my body is trying to shift into something more comfortable, like it's cramped in a tight position and it knows I can let loose a bit. But I haven't been feeling that as much as I used too, and I always thought it was just my imagination when it happened.