Of Canon-Variance and Confusion | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Of Canon-Variance and Confusion

A group for fictionkin, fictives, people questioning such, and so on to interact.

1. MechanicJasper

MechanicJasper Autonomous and Anxious Android
    Machines United!

Otherkin HeptagramVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,108.78
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I'm still unsure if "canons" are much of an accepted thing around here. I just want to share some of my suspections and experience and get other's 2-cents on it. This is all based around a disconnect between the in-game canon that the character I'm questioning my identity as is from, and how a variance I saw made me unable to deny the possibility that I might indeed identify as Mettaton from Undertale.

So, Undertale spoilers below. If you plan on playing the game but haven't yet, I'd recommend not reading any further.

I'm basing this off of the multiverse theory that I've used to explain my androidkin identity. To me, seperate "canons" are universes parallel to the original canon shown in the media piece, which vary slightly from eachother. Undertale itself seems to have many different in-game canons, varying between pascifist runs, the many neutral runs, and the no-mercy run.

As I said, I'm questioning my identity as Mettaton from Undertale. Specifically, I feel comfortable and right in the body of Mettaton NEO, and feel as though that was the body I had died in. This told me I was from a universe in which the human character had done a no-mercy run. But the problem I had with this was that I felt the way in which Mettaton had been battled in this run was very different from how I had been battled in my universe. It was unsatisfying, playing the in-game canon felt like an insult. I was almost personally offended and at the time I couldn't figure out why as I had no idea fictionkin was even a thing. It felt like a slap in the face, seeing myself not fight back and being taken down in a single blow.

I was extremely unsatisfied by this, I felt cheated and angry. Now looking back on it, I realize I felt like it was a cheap, poorly summarized look at what had happened to me. I don't mean to demean the game-maker, he's a talented and wonderful soul, but come on. I tried a lot harder than that.

I browsed about a few different fan-made battles against Mettaton NEO, and each one I found got a little more like what had happened, but still never felt accurate to my experiences. That was until I stumbled upon a certain fan-animation of the fight.

Here is a link to the animation. Fair warning, it's pretty intense. It gets violent and borderline graphic, so proceed with caution.

When I watched that animation, it felt right. I had to ignore the sickness that came from literally watching myself die, but it explained so much to me that I could sit through it. It explained why I had that feeling like I had access to the Mettaton EX body, but the Mettaton NEO body was the subject of my phantom shifts and physical dysphoria, since the transformation went from EX to NEO. Watching it reminded me of how powerful I felt in a life of my past and of the aching urge to protect my race of monsters. It settled me too, reminding me of the sort of cathartic feeling I got from letting my life slip away just to delay the murderer for a little while longer.

I don't know if that animation is exactly the same as what happened in my universe - or canon - but it is close enough to have made me go "That's it!". Seeing a representati took away my main reason to try and repress my possible fictional kintype like I had done for a few years with my android kintype.

Has anyone else had this happen? A situation in which your in-media representation felt wrong to you, only to find a fan-representation that felt so right?

2. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,269.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Basically my entire canon in LotR is a variance lol. There are quite a few things that line up book wise, and a small hand full movie wise. But other than that there's quite a bit that doesn't line up with the cannon most know. There's no good fan representation, so I'm working on writing up my own.

I also have a variance in my memories if I am Tony Stark about Rhodey. Though I haven't found a fan representation that fits with my canon of the MCU... I also haven't really looked because I haven't really wanted to find out if this is a fictotype.
    Spoilers for Civil War ahead.

In the movie Rhodey is shot down by Vision on accident but survives the fall and gets cybernetic enhancements because he is paralysed.
    In my universe, Rhodey doesn't make it.
    What's interesting is I shouldn't have known what was going to happen, it was a pretty sudden set up and nothing in the trailers really spoiled where and when it would happen. But as soon as the fight scene between team Tony and team Cap started I got this bad gut feeling towards Rhodey. And when Vision shot at Sam to knock him out of the air I started crying because I kept thinking over and over "No, don't make me lose my best friend again! Don't let Rhodey die this time!"
    Thankfully this universe's Rhodey survived.
    But it was such a strong gut reaction that it really made me stop and think "Is this what I think it is?"

3. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    This happens to me time to time, partly because canon in Star Wars is inconsistent and gets retconned or changed or contradicted often. Prime example being that in the appearance of the planet one of my kintypes is from (which we have few canon appearances of, pretty much only one since-retconned short comic), the exteriors all matched my memories, but I had a strong gut reaction "no this is wrong" to the interiors. But then... planets are large, nowhere has only one style of architecture (though that's kind of a hallmark of SW worldbuilding - one biome/style for each planet). Retcon aside, maybe the area I'm familiar with is different.

I have had more events line up than not. But I think that some setting details, such as traditions, culture things, vary, and that made me question myself a lot... but then talking to other fictionkin I am learning that canon variance is a thing, that it doesn't make you invalid, so that is helping.

I can't really think of many examples off the top of my head, but I may have more later on, when I've thought about it more. :)

4. MechanicJasper

MechanicJasper Autonomous and Anxious Android
    Machines United!

Otherkin HeptagramVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,108.78
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I'm really sorry you had to experience that. But, it's good that you didn't have to completely relive that while watching the movie and all.

I'm really glad to hear that the variance doesn't cause invalidity. That helps a lot with my insecurities around the topic.

5. Obsydian

Obsydian Pallas Cat
    Feline

Chibi Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ31.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    There is a variation in our anatomy between the comic books and the TV show. In the TV show, little leg things are shown on the lower part of our bodies. In the comic, it's a snakelike body without those little legs. In my shifts, sometimes I'll feel both forms, but that may be because of my polymorphic abilities. The snakelike body is more correct in the way I perceive myself in this form.

6. portalcandies

portalcandies Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ412.26
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I've actually used "canon" to refer to the official source material since I got sort of confused about terminology awhile back, but I've also used "source", I think I used "alpha timeline" once or twice, or even just "in the game" or whatever else. I use "timeline" to refer to specific instances or alternate realities/universes, I stray away from "dimension" due to some negative associations with some people who used that term to refer to their timelines.

Regardless of terminology, I've absolutely found fanworks that match at least the feel of my timeline and experiences correctly. In fact, there's a (mostly retired?) fanfic/fanart duo that consistently capture the sense of cold strangeness me and one of my partners (who I share a timeline with) felt, especially in the labs and just... doing anything for Shinra, really. We've joked about them accidentally picking up on our timeline seeing as their descriptions of... a lot of things, actually, are really in line with our memories. Memories we had before reading the fics and sharing with each other, mind you...