Othercon - Virtual Convention

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Maryland
Bones
🦴4.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
(Side note: this is here instead of howls since the meet is online, not in-person)

What is Othercon?

Othercon is the first ever annual 3-day virtual convention for members of the Otherkin and Therian community.

The purpose of this convention is to provide a space where people within (and outside) the community can come together to socialize, educate, and entertain for a fun-filled weekend!

Details of the con

1. The "hub" of the con would be a discord server, and an invite would be obtained by registering for the con on the website (which is in the works)

2. Registration would be free, although I've been thinking about optional donations to an LGBT or BLM charity (don't yet know which one)

3. Panels/events would be held on Friday through Sunday at scheduled times (the exact dates are TBD).

4. Volunteer-run panels/events can be submitted for a chance to be added to the schedule. Due to timezones, priority would be taken to try and make sure there's a somewhat equal amount of events available for attendees in different parts of the world

5. Video call events will take place in the hub discord or through other video call apps like google duo. A chat will be available where applicable, so users who can't use a mic can still participate in the discussion. Livestream events are also a possibility. Note that not all panels will be livestream or video/voice based, it can also include moderated chat discussions

6. An artist alley is being considered, where artists can have streams at scheduled times, and an art gallery which can be viewed on the website.

7. Registration would be split into pre-reg and regular registration. Pre-reg would be to allow a certain number of users to register early to help gauge the expected amount of attendees. Regular reg would open up later.

8. Currently there is no GoH

9. While there aren't any definite events yet, I plan to allow things like lectures, video meetups, and other things like multiplayer game sessions

What is the state of this convention? When is it happening?

At the moment there is no set date for the convention. It's still in the planning stage and will be for some time so the event is not rushed.

What can I do to help?

There is currently a survey to help gauge how many attendees to expect, artists, panelists, etc. If you planned to join or were considering joining, it would help a lot to fill out this form: Othercon interest survey

You can also help by sharing information about Othercon to others, to help boost interest. You have full permission to share this info on other forums, social media, youtube, and in discord servers

At a later time, once pre-planning is complete, con staff applications will open up for volunteers that wish to be directly involved in the production of this convention. 

Eersian

Nov 21, 2018
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I'll see about it though I won't be able to participate in voice calls due to family not accepting me being kin

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Maryland
Bones
🦴4.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Update about the survey: please use a real email address! I've had some entries ask legitimate questions and then leave a fake email with no other contact info, so I can't actually answer them

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Maryland
Bones
🦴4.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
There are now official dates!

• Convention dates: August 14th - 16th
  • Volunteer staff registration: June 23rd - July 8th
  • Panelist & Artist registration: July 8th - July 19th
  • Attendee registration: July 19th - August 12th
The website has also been updated with a Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Maryland
Bones
🦴4.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
Panelist and artist registration opens next week! If you wanted to run a panel, now's a good time to start planning on what you wanted to do

Naia

*goes fast*
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 10, 2018
Bones
🦴5.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Hello,

I am potentially interested in speaking / hosting a panel; this seems like a cool idea. Kinmunity would also be willing to assist with infrastructure for future cons, virtual and physical, depending on how this goes.

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Dec 6, 2018
Bones
🦴5.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
hmmmmmm
So, Bendy and I were talking (yes things are going smoother now, for those who were wondering). And we would like to be representatives of sort, but we're not sure what! Any ideas for us?

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Maryland
Bones
🦴4.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
hmmmmmm
So, Bendy and I were talking (yes things are going smoother now, for those who were wondering). And we would like to be representatives of sort, but we're not sure what! Any ideas for us?
We have a list of panel ideas in a pdf for people who aren't sure what they'd want to present. I'll PM it to you!