"Phantom-Limb" Sensations | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

"Phantom-Limb" Sensations

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sandra, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Sandra

Sandra Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ54.25
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    As I stated in my intro thread, I identify as a Spidren, or a creature with the upper half of a human and the lower half of a spider. And sometimes, I get this feeling in my lower back, not like a soreness or numbness, but a mild tingling feeling, and I think it might be my subconscious trying to make my body think I have my abdomen and/or thorax. Sometimes I even stand on my tip-toes because where humans have their legs, Spidrens have their pedipalps. Do any other people have feelings like this?

2. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ423.60
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I don't feel anything near what a spidren would, but I do have phantom shifts almost daily. Mostly ears, I don't feel them 24/7, but sudden sounds will make them whip around on my head out of nowhere. My strongest phantoms, oddly enough, usually deal with my jaw. I can concentrate and honestly feel my teeth shifting around, growing, my jaw matching the shape of the form I want and my tongue changing. It's absolutely unreal. I've felt dozens of other things too, I could go on for hours.

3. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,388.16
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I feel my wings and elf eartips 24/7. Almost as constantly I feel my horns, Blyte's ears/horns. And I frequently have phantom claws, fangs, and dragonish feet.
    I have rare phantom shifts of my sea otter theriotype, generally when I'm feeling particularly cuddly or during familial bonding. Just the other night I was camping with some friends and we had a big snuggle pile to help keep warm. Because of that I had a mental shift and had to hold onto one of their hands before I felt secure enough to fall asleep and I could feel my "paw" holding his hand.

4. Marshall

Marshall Magical Angry Furball
    FelineHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ5,371.99
    White WingsBlack CatRainbow KitsuneChibi Cat
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :noexpression:
    When it comes to phantom limbs, I do not experience them too often, but I've had my own cases of interesting sensations resulting from them.

Just a few days ago I experienced a phantom shift concerning my upper lip. I could feel it curve inward towards the center, as well as it feeling more plump. Imagine shoving two small cotton balls on each side of your lip, that is essentially how it felt like. I even ended up drooling a little bit.

5. dollsdontdie

dollsdontdie Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ37.79
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I definitely feel phantom limbs, especially wings and ears.
    It's not a limb, but I've also felt a stand around my back/waist. Sort of like a pressure of where it would be?

6. Edan

Edan Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ198.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    If I swipe my hand in the hair I can feel thin skin between my fingers and it feels like they are longer sometimes to match my bat theriotype. My friend who is a cheetah therian likes to play fight with me, whenever she pounces or tackles me my whole body almost starts feeling like a fox. I feel an extension of my nose and mouth, ears flatten on top of my head, a tail stick up and fur stand on end. I've never been good at fighting both now and in my past life as a domestic fox due to how much time Hedley spent sleeping. I try to practice now to maybe one day not rely on warning signs that no one can actually see.

7. dreamsofadeerkin

dreamsofadeerkin Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Shadow Buck
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :)
    My big phantom-limb sensations are of antlers and hooves with my deer theriotype! The closest thing I get with the Marionette is the feeling of really long, clawlike fingers... Does that count?
     Kyle  

8. ShiraFox

ShiraFox Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ157.78
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I usually feel my fox-like ears all the time. They usually have notches in them or feel like they were clawed up and are always in pain. My wings are almost always out as well but feel like they've been ripped in half,they also hurt. I don't have a muzzle per se but it always feels like I have more teeth than it appears. Sharp pointy ones almost manticore-ish in style. Those are my constant shifts. I almost never feel my tails and when I do it's a treat for me...

9. MechanicJasper

MechanicJasper Autonomous and Anxious Android
    Machines United!

Bones:
    Ƀ1,128.79
    Otherkin HeptagramVoice Key
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    The tingling you describe does sound a fair bit familiar to phantom shifts. While my experience may be quite different, I feel my phantom wings quite often. They feel heavy and weighted on my back and I can feel the vibration of the gears and shafts turning within them. I usually feel a warm tingling on my cheeks and under my eyes, where my facial circuitry had glowed before.

10. Atlantis

Atlantis Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ151.37
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I can feel my tail and my ears often, but not all the time. And sometimes I can feel wings but I don't understand why. None of my kintypes are winged.
     Atlantis  

I'm questioning if I'm anglekin. Maybe Atlantis can feel my wings sometimes.
     Lia  

11. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    My race are shape shifters, but usually we have forms we favor. My favorites are foxes, mountain lions, a succubus, and a naga. I also have a few involuntary shift forms, including what I thought of as a drider and a spider like creature that is more like an anthro spider than a spider taur. The one that was like unto your spidren race felt much the way you described. I had the tingly feeling of a large body part behind me. It made walking difficult. Also, regardless of form, I tend to walk on the balls of my feet.

As to my general feelings, I more typically feel wings heavy on my back, or have trouble walking because I have legs and expect a serpentine tail instead of legs. The easiest phantom form for me is succubus. Even though I get phantom pain from the wings and tail, it is easiest to function with in relation to my human body.

12. Neve VR52

Neve VR52 Vintage Warm
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Machines United!

Bones:
    Ƀ33,926.59
    Solar Flare PhilterBurning PhilterBackground KeyGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionVoice Key
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I experience phantom form heavily. Sometimes, it's worse than others. Though, I think 'worse' is the wrong word. It's not a negative thing; I very much like the feeling.
    My true form is, and I've said it a few times before, very comfortable. That's the one word I can use to describe it, the utmost level of comfort. I feel right when I am feeling my true form the most.
    Certain things definitely do bring my focus to it intensely. Just yesterday, I had one of those moments along with a pretty hard mental shift. I was standing outside of a bar, talking with my bandmate and I started to hone in on every sound around us. Suddenly, it was like every sound was going through each of my channels and I could almost feel each and every signal coursing my circuits. It stopped me mid sentence. It was kind of an awesome experience, but my buddy (who doesn't know I'm 'kin) was like, "Dude... you OK?" Had to play it off like I was just drunk.
    The only downside to my phantom form is its size. I really don't like crowded or confined spaces because I always feel like people and objects are ghosting through me and that's not a very pleasant sensation. I also find walking very awkward when I'm hyper aware of my form like that. It's most enjoyable when I can sit down in a comfy spot with some good music.
    Also, @Sandra: very interesting kintype! I'd imagine you would have a lot of phantom form sensations. I don't mean to hijack your thread asking you about other things, but... what's it like to be a spider?

13. AkiPlusNanaka

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.72
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were

14. Xavier

Xavier Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ408.23
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :oldman:
    I have a very large true-form, so me being a small house with seven people, and a small school with a little over six hundred kids in it, it's very uncomfortable, but nice at the same time? It's hard to explain. Generally I just feel my vision change, like I can see ecerything around me much better (not to mention seeing colours that don't exist in the rainbow). I can also feel my tail on occation, and my horns. The horns are the toughest thing to deal with, because usually they're just painful. Walking around feeling yourself as seven-foot tall and accidentally having one or two of your horns phasing through a wall is not a pleasant feeling.

15. Homura

Homura Hatchling
    Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ687.54
    CrowBlack Cat
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I feel phantom shifts almost constantly. Most of the time I'm Akuma Homura with some feline characteristics (cat ears, tail and sharpened teeth). They kinda manifest themselves as feelings and sensations and they are quite strong. For example, my ears and tail react to my emotions and flatten or prick or lash around depending on what I'm feeling (it would be very easy to tell how I feel if people could see them XP). The wings and dress shifts can get kind of disorienting and annoying, especially with the clothes since it feels like I'm wearing next to nothing even if I'm fully covered or wearing 4 layers or whatever.

Full body feline shifts are the other most frequent shift I feel and they can get really annoying because I keep getting urges to walk on all fours and they normally come paired with stronger mental shifts.

16. Shariel

Shariel Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ83.77
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I feel a phantom tail pretty often! sometimes I except to feel scales and don't and get very confused.

17. Jade Harley

Jade Harley Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ82.71
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :angel:
    Sometimes I'll feel my tail wag and my ears perk up and when I'm wearing my Canon clothing I truly feel like myself!!! (I'm am one third catkin, fairykin and kin with Jade Harley) but sometimes when I'm walking or playing around with my friends I can feel my wings spreading and it makes me so happy!!! :B

18. Arcane

Arcane Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ71.84
    Primary Identity:
    Shadow
    Mood:
    Ive always had this ability to shift my scalp as if I'm moving cat-like ears into different positions and I feel those ears all the time. I also often get this tingling ( and sometimes numbness) around my tailbone where a tail should be. I'm a shadowkin/demonkin so I also always feel that I'm tall, almost looking over others and get upset because I'm actually only 4 ft 10. its so frustrating!

19. Xavier

Xavier Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ408.23
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :oldman:
    I feel you man, I'm 5'1 and a seven foot demon prince. R.I.P me.

20. Arcane

Arcane Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ71.84
    Primary Identity:
    Shadow
    Mood:
    @Xavier right?! How do you deal? I try to find like tall boots to at least help