"Playing" a movie. | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

"Playing" a movie.

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by Raijun, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Yes, this is the gaming forum. Yes, this topic has the word "movie" in it. Yes, I am going somewhere with this. Yes, I thank you for your patience in this matter. :p

See, most people say "Hey, let's play a movie." But what they actually mean is let's watch a movie. Some games let you play a movie. You're essentially placed head-first into a highly interactive movie!

I'm playing through Wing Commander III this week. It's Chris Roberts' love child of a space flight combat sim game. You're either flying in space, happily engaged in a vivid dogfight, or you're wandering the halls of the TCS Victory, engaging in various little fully rendered cutscenes. The protagonist, Col. Blair, is played by Mark Hamill. He's pretty darn good at it too. I definitely recommend playing it.

Any other "movies" you've played through?

2. Attaia

Attaia Space Glitter
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.50
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are games that would sort of classify as "movies", or "interactive movies" as it were. They feature puzzle-solving and you have to actively make decisions that influence the story, but most of it is for the sake of narrative. They're a pair of highly immersive, interactive "movies". :)

3. Raijun

VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Ahh yes, I've watched Tobuscus do a Let's Play of Two Souls. He stopped in the middle of the game, unfortunately, and I've been too lazy to find another Let's Play with the same progress. Eh. It's one of those games where a Let's Play is just as good as playing the game.

I did the same thing with The Stanley Parable. Saw the whole game in an hour and a half. :)

Also I just finished Wing Commander 3. I'm on to WC4 and 5 now.

4. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Indigo Prophecy (aka Farenheit) is a great one...or it would be, if the ending wasn't terrible. If you skip the ending and make up your own instead, then it's excellent.

5. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Jurassic park by telltale games is basically a movie with quick time events. You get to solve puzzles and select dialog, and some choices does affect the ending. It's separated into episodes and is like an interactive movie.

6. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. I adore the game to death, but it was kinda on rails. It was more about the story than the gameplay, but what a story it was. I think I would have preferred it in the form of a well-written novel or even a movie.

7. Raijun

VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Although there is a lot of action in the Warcraft series, the game has a MONUMENTALLY GARGANTUAN plotline behind it. Anyone who has played more than one of the games can attest to that as being fact. I honestly and truly cannot think of a game that even has a quarter of the sheer volume of lore that it boasts.

Warcraft 1 (and I suppose even 2) were mostly just dragging their heels, almost making stuff up on the spot, but Warcraft 3 really blossomed the plotline into something tangible and traceable. Then World of Warcraft brought the 2D into the 3D in a way that was truly immersive. Everyone seen in the game is pivotal to the plot, aside from random civilians. I can't even begin to describe how deep it goes...

8. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,048.68
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    The Last of Us.

You know how you watch a movie, and yell at the characters for making the wrong choices? Yeah, now you're playing the character you were yelling at. A good amount of gameplay, but the entire game is all about the storyline. One of my favorite games, despite it being a console (Playstation to be exact) exclusive

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I loved The Last Of Us. I have to admit, I never got to play it, but I did watch Markiplier play it and that has to be one of the best zombie stories I've ever seen. It would have made an amazing movie if it wasn't so long.

10. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,048.68
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    What's wrong with it being long? Besides, there are shortened versions out there. I found one of each :D
    Full Version (Story Cutscenes and All Gameplay) [About 6 hours]
    Shortened Version (Story Cutscenes and Story Gameplay) [About 3 1/2 hours]

I've watched them both, which is kinda sad, but they're amazing :p

Oh, and this isn't the remastered version. I can throw those in if you'd like as well

11. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    L.A. Noire was fantastic! The facial expressions are some of the most realistic I have ever seen in a game and play a very important part in the game mechanics.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a game being long. In fact, the longer the better with games, in my opinion. I just meant it's a shame they couldn't really make a movie out of it because it's so long. They'd have to cut out so much good stuff.

13. Shoukei

Shoukei Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    If you like more interactive stories than heavy gameplay skill checks have you tried out visual novels? Cinders is a great game, as is backstage pass, and the ace attorney series is also very popular (and amazing).

14. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    I'll second what Shoukei said. There are some great ones out there, especially if you like having some romance in your story. If you do, I can recommend one I just recently started (you can turn off suggestive content if you want, but it doesn't go beyond a PG-13 rating). If not, I would also recommend the Ace Attorney games.

15. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ82.11
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    For interactive 'movies', Until Dawn is great from what I've seen of it and the amount of choices and effects your decisions have on the story are amazing.
    I haven't seen all of it, but I'm currently watching Markiplier's and Cryaotic's Let's Plays (since sadly I don't have a PS4 to play it for myself) and so far so good.