Implemented - Please Fix the Chat Beeping | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Implemented Please Fix the Chat Beeping

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by DeVout Numelran, Aug 15, 2015.

?

Which option would you prefer?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2015.
  1. The chat will beep when not viewing the chat window; multiple beeps may occur per msg.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. The chat will not beep, but the title of the window will change on new messages.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeVout Numelran

Bones:
    Ƀ20.24
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    As it currently is, the Beeping Sound the chat makes is Entirely Useless the way it functions.

It ONLY beeps when you are currently looking at the chat page. That is, when the Tab itself is highlighted and at the front of everything else.
    When you change tabs, the Chat becomes silent and all you get is a Tiny Message at the top tab that is easily missed.

As someone who does heavy amounts of multitasking, I highly suggest doing the exact opposite for the beeps.

Instead of how it is now, I suggest the beeps Are silent while the chat tab is at front and highlighted. When the chat is NOT the focus, beeps should be clear and actually sound off, to alert you that there is a message you are not seeing.

This would be EXTREMELY beneficial to ANYONE who multitasks.

please consider it? :) thanks!

EDIT: As suggested below. Also add an option To silence beeping, "tagged" beeping, and "every message" beeping.

#1 DeVout Numelran, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,048.68
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    As I said in chat, I like the idea. Though I personally think it would get annoying, so I would suggest making it an option. And if I may suggest an addition to the idea, adding an option for the chat to beep when you're tagged in a message? Either way, I'm down for the idea :D

• Like Like x 3
  3. DeVout Numelran

Bones:
    Ƀ20.24
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I suggest that the tagged option be a secondary feature. Let you choose between tagged beeps and "every message" beeps.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Hyphero

Hyphero Wisp of Mystery
    VIP Swamp Lurker

MegalixirGold Fae CoinBlue AngelBrimstone DemonBlue GriffinWill'o'wisp
    Bones:
    Ƀ19,573.62
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    I support tagged beeping as a secondary option too, maybe allow Gold VIP's to eventually use alert beeping, beeping only when tagged or a certain word appears from a list (and making alerted messages have a bluish background).

Great idea, DeVout Numelran.

5. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I highly agree with this. @Shiro?

6. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    There is already an ability to silence the sound in the options but I think it'd be nice to have some notification, either beeping or a more noticeable message popping up (in a tab or like a skype message like rabbit streaming does), so we know when a message is sent.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I can probably make the chat sound go off when the focus window is not selected if that is the preferred behavior, but it would result in multiple sounds being set off if you have multiple chat windows open.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DeVout Numelran

Bones:
    Ƀ20.24
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    What about a mini pop up that occurs every so often after a short time period as a reminder?

9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    This would not be easily implementable.

10. DeVout Numelran

Bones:
    Ƀ20.24
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Hmm.. predicament. I dont have another idea but something to replace the chat going silent would be appreciated.

11. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Unfortunately, after reviewing the solutions for this, this is the choice we are left with.
    1. I can have the chat beep even if you're not viewing the chat window. The downside to this is that if you have multiple chat instances open for any reason, you will receive multiple sound notifications per message. Unfortunately, there is no way to implement this 'cleanly'.
    2. We can keep the current system of only beeping when you're on the page. Our system will change your browser tab to indicate you've got a new message, though!

12. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I personally would prefer for option 1.

13. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    I will leave this up for a poll

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hyphero

Hyphero Wisp of Mystery
    VIP Swamp Lurker

MegalixirGold Fae CoinBlue AngelBrimstone DemonBlue GriffinWill'o'wisp
    Bones:
    Ƀ19,573.62
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    I'd prefer having both a beep option and the tab-change. The only reason I'd need multiple sessions is to be in multiple rooms (e.g. General Chat and The Club) at once.

If the experimental beep option would beep twice when a message is posted in either room (not in both rooms at once), no thanks.

15. Ardof

Ardof Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I know its not one of the options but I have seen a very useful system/program/thingie called C-Box...I think that was the official name, anyway it was a chat box that floated in the margin of all pages on the site, so peeps could surf and chat at the same time without having to flip back and forth at all...

16. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    It shouldn't do this. It should be room specific. :)

Our chat system is way more advanced and functional than C-Box, and it is tightly integrated with our site and its services. While I could have it work as a shoutbox and be present on every page, I feel this would detract from other features of the site and I've always found shoutboxes that load on every page to look tacky. We will continue to use our own chat system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.