Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Please Help me Understand Fictionkin

Jeb_CC

+Primal Member
Xenogender Pride
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Other
Hey all,
From my honest standpoint, I find Fictionkin a hard thing to understand. I'm very skeptical of the concept of identifying as a specific being and I'm hoping maybe someone can shed some light on my possible misunderstandings. I hope this does not offend any Fictionkin on the forum, I am asking in advance so I don't hurt someone in the future.

#1. The concept of Otherkin is to identify, usually as a species... but to identify as an individual sounds odd. How can one identify as another human being/character?
Let's say theoretically speaking - I identify as Jane Doe. We are both humans, human body, human traits. The only difference between me and Jane Doe is our personality and our history. So, Fictionkin are stating basically that they identify as their history and personality of that character? Or do they identify as that character's appearance features?

#2. Is Fictionkin exclusively non-spiritual then? As characters and fiction do not have spirits. They are just the embodiment of a story and personality.

#3. If you're a Fictionkin of Jane Doe and say for example, Jane Doe in the series suddenly has a drastic change of personality and history, would you still identify as Jane Doe? Is it a permanent sort of link?

Apologies if my questions don't make sense, I hope it does not offend anyone. I am trying to learn.

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Staff member
Guardian
Pronouns
Neutral
Hi! I'm technically fictionkin, its complicated, and my two mates here are from those universes. You can dm me, I'm happy to help! I'm glad you're trying to learn more.

But I can answer some of the basics here!

Some fictionkin are spiritual, like me. The common theory is multiverse theory, which basically means there's always an alternate universe, timeline, planet, ect, where something that is fiction here exists.
Lots of fictionkin, like myself, may not be from the exact version of a story told here, referred to as source material. The version they lived is called their Canon. So their may be many differences, in story or personality, ect.

Hope this helps!

Jeb_CC

+Primal Member
Xenogender Pride
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Other
Thank you Inky! I did not consider the multiverse theory, so that does shed a bit of light on it all.
As a Fictionkin, do you have mental shifts where you behave like said character? Would you take on their personality as well for a period of time?

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Staff member
Guardian
Pronouns
Neutral
Well, that probably depends on the fictionkin. For me, I'm the same as I've always been throughout my lives. Same being, many bodies.
Others might have more personality based shifts however

Drakmanka

Genderfluid Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherkin
Pronouns
Other
I am not fictionkin, but I'll share my $0.02 here as I have cultivated my own views on fictionkin.
One of the ways I explore my kintype and my dragon memories is through writing. I use my stories to tell a narrative, but also to explore this other world I remember. One of them is getting close to possibly being published as a novel, possibly the first of a series. In such a case, my species of dragon would technically be viewed as a fictional species... yet it is very real to me, as I remember living a very real and vivid life as one of them.
Would my publishing of my work make me fictionkin? Well, not technically as I don't plan on writing my dragon identity into the stories. So not directly. And I personally don't feel I would "become" fictionkin just because I've introduced others to my world through sharing my writing with the world.
So the question then becomes: how many times has this happened? A person, perhaps Otherkin but not awakened, or maybe like me and writing to sort out their feelings and memories, writes about a world and it becomes a book, movie, TV show, or whatever. And someone whose identity comes from that world too sees that movie, or reads that book, it might just resonate with them on a spiritual level.

2-D

Otherhearted
Plural
Fictionkin
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherkin
Transgender Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
The reasons why or how someone identifies as fictionkin are as diverse as the reasons people identify as otherkin.

The best way to understand is to read about our experiences. I have some of my own experiences with being fictionkin and otherkin on my profile, but you can also check out the multiverse section of the site.

Otherkin identify as beings that don't physically exist, but they usually don't identify as a particular being. That's when people get skeptical.

Plenty of otherkin identify as named beings, but people only seem to bring up the concept of identifying as a specific entity with fictionkin. They get questioned less in general, it seems.

#1. The concept of Otherkin is to identify, usually as a species... but to identify as an individual sounds odd. How can one identify as another human being/character?
Let's say theoretically speaking - I identify as Jane Doe. We are both humans, human body, human traits. The only difference between me and Jane Doe is our personality and our history. So, Fictionkin are stating basically that they identify as their history and personality of that character? Or do they identify as that character's appearance features?
I do identify as the personality of the character with the history, but that isn't just it. For some it may be. There are both spiritual and psychological fictionkin.

For me it is spiritual in origin, but it effects me psychologically. I believe that I have the soul of a fictional character. My personal belief is that I was in an alternate universe in a past life, but my soul reincarnated in a place where I could see myself in fiction to better understand myself in this life. I think most people's souls change in between incarnations, but this change didn't happen to me (as much?). I think this is what spiritual otherkin experience. I think the term soul imprinting can fit that concept.

I see this life as an extension of my last one, and I still have lessons and themes from it.

#2. Is Fictionkin exclusively non-spiritual then? As characters and fiction do not have spirits. They are just the embodiment of a story and personality.
Most fictionkind believe in the multiverse, but others believe that fictional characters and worlds exist as thought forms on the astral plane.

#3. If you're a Fictionkin of Jane Doe and say for example, Jane Doe in the series suddenly has a drastic change of personality and history, would you still identify as Jane Doe? Is it a permanent sort of link?
It depends on the individual's experience. Some may realize that they weren't Jane Doe but may still have had a life similar up until that point. Some may be her up until that point on a mental level only. Some may identify more strongly after the change, because they experienced that change/were this different version of Jane Doe all along (like how there are different versions of Sherlock Holmes and Spiderman)

I don't experience shifts because I am constantly shifted. I just always am... me. It gets stronger at some points, but never like something has shifted within me. I just feel more connected and in touch.

However, I do get an accent when I sing. This has gone on for longer than I have known I am fictionkin. I cannot consciously do a British accent, but the other day I realized I can do it intentionally when I don't think about it. Mostly it just slips out. For the past few years it has influenced my speaking voice a little, but no one notices but me. I notice the change.

Jeb_CC

+Primal Member
Xenogender Pride
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Other
I am not fictionkin, but I'll share my $0.02 here as I have cultivated my own views on fictionkin.
One of the ways I explore my kintype and my dragon memories is through writing. I use my stories to tell a narrative, but also to explore this other world I remember. One of them is getting close to possibly being published as a novel, possibly the first of a series. In such a case, my species of dragon would technically be viewed as a fictional species... yet it is very real to me, as I remember living a very real and vivid life as one of them.
Would my publishing of my work make me fictionkin? Well, not technically as I don't plan on writing my dragon identity into the stories. So not directly. And I personally don't feel I would "become" fictionkin just because I've introduced others to my world through sharing my writing with the world.
So the question then becomes: how many times has this happened? A person, perhaps Otherkin but not awakened, or maybe like me and writing to sort out their feelings and memories, writes about a world and it becomes a book, movie, TV show, or whatever. And someone whose identity comes from that world too sees that movie, or reads that book, it might just resonate with them on a spiritual level.
That's an interesting way of seeing it, thank you for your $0.02. I will add it to my piggy bank.

@2-D: Thank you, this is a very in depth reply and helps a lot! In essence, it's as complex as Otherkin themselves and opens up a lot of possible doors to say, multiverse and astral planes... I was trying to comprehend it too simply I think. Thank you!