Publishing Poems | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Publishing Poems

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adaire, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Adaire

Adaire Forest Faery
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ40.57
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    For years, I've wanted to publish my poetry. However, I've always had that fear that my poems are not that good enough or people won't take my poetry to heart. But, finally, I'm going to attempt to publish my poems into a book. My step-grandmother knows publishers and she agreed to look at my poems and help if they're good enough, send them to publishers. Honestly, I'm really freaked out, but I'm excited at the same time to finally be able to take one step forward towards my dreams. I really don't know for sure if my poems will be published, but surely I just took a chance that no teenager commonly gets. I was planning to make my alias (because I don't want people to know who wrote it) Dahlia Mason if I need to. Haha, I'm thinking a little too far aren't I? Anyways, if the poems are published, I'd feel greatly appreciated if you guys would be willing to read it (even if it comes out in a couple of years XD). If you haven't read my poems, but want to, I post poetry all the time on my blog. Thank you for reading and wish me luck!

• Like Like x 5
  2. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.45
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Good luck!

Can I give you a bit of advice? Don't get discouraged if you can't get them published into a book, and definitely don't give up! If you can't get them published into a book, start submitting them to literary journals, and keep an eye out for anthologies or contests that are looking for submissions. These are all great ways to make a name for yourself, get noticed, and increase your chances of publication in future.

Also, if you don't mind speaking in public, you could look around for poetry clubs/cafes that have open nights and do a short reading.

So, once again, good luck, and I look forward to reading your poetry!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Catwan

Catwan Confused Vampiric Kitten
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ3.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I just wanted to say that personally I think your poems are phenomenal.

4. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,329.23
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Good luck!
    @St Claire gave some good advice and if you do get them published I think it would still be a good idea to try some of those things to help get your name out there.

5. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I was just about to suggest this! Getting poems or short stories published seems more difficult than a classic novel in my opinion, so keep trying all resources even if it doesn't pan out.

6. Adaire

Adaire Forest Faery
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ40.57
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Thank you for all the positive feedback! I honestly was scared since I know people don't enjoy poetry as much as a regular novel. I'm glad you guys are supporting me and thank you for the suggestions! I'm gonna keep those in mind and I am sure there are a bunch of poetry clubs in Memphis!

• Like Like x 3