Reacting to Canon Events | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Reacting to Canon Events

A group for fictionkin, fictives, people questioning such, and so on to interact.

1. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I've noticed that lately I'm struggling to enjoy media from my kintype's setting and timelines, because I have some pretty visceral reactions to some canon events... particularly ones that deal with unpleasant times or memories, or other kinds of hardship and pain. Other times it's just really benign, like making a wrong choice in a game and thinking "No, that's not the way it happened!!" and becoming frustrated as the feeling of wrongness kind of hangs over me, haha.

Anyway, what sort of events or depictions from your setting do you react strongly to? What kind of reactions like this have you had? Have they helped you learn new stuff about yourself? About your setting? About your otherkinity? Have any thoughts or observations or experiences about this you'd like to talk about or ask questions about?

2. MechanicJasper

MechanicJasper Autonomous and Anxious Android
    Machines United!

Otherkin HeptagramVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,121.58
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    The entire death of Mettaton NEO is shameful to me in the game. I tried so much harder and fought so much better than the game displays, and I feel as though that should have been acknowledged. It's almost enough to make me want to give the Mettaton from that universe a stern talking to over how pathetic and not-glamorous his efforts turned out to be. He made me look like an absolute fool, a tin can who simply could not do any better than that. His failure has led people to think I was never a human-eradication robot at all, and some even suggest my battle form was only for show.

I'm sorry, darling. I get needlessly angry over that.

3. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,339.53
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I get very miffed with the depiction of my Pepper. The movie depiction is a lot colder and harder than my Pepper was. And it makes me confused and upset to see her the way they're directing her.
    My Pepper was stern often, I was an over grown child most of the time, but she was never cold. She thought my silly, romantic antics were endearing. She wasn't ok with my alcoholism, but she knew I had never been shown healthy ways to deal with all the crap I had stored inside, all my anxiety and depression and eventually the PTSD.
    They got a lot of her sarcasm right, but she never shut me out like she does in the movies.

4. portalcandies

portalcandies Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ414.31
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I have an awful lot to say about the original Final Fantasy 7, saying nothing of spinoffs and despite actually getting the game after too long in January. (I'd been meaning to play it for years, but my awakening was what finally pushed me to go ahead and get it.) See, the problem is, a very important detail in canon... never happened to me. I did manage to make it into SOLDIER and I couldn't believe that it wasn't the case in any canon material, period. There are some other comparatively minor issues I have, despite knowing that canon doesn't depict the details of my life in particular.

The only other major thing worth noting is I did actually grow up in Midgar so one of the really early scenes with Cloud and Tifa sitting at the well confused the heck out of me for awhile because I had no idea why she was there or what the point of the scene was...

5. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Ah thanks for all the replies everyone!

I actually meant for this to be less about where things vary, more about having strong emotional responses to things that you do remember, since we already have a thread on canon variance. But it's really interesting reading all of your stories.

6. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Contributing to this may be of value, although it is not the most pleasant remembrance from all that happens. So much so that at times my own emotion has locked up Mirath to the point where they can't move. He now knows to avoid that scene at all costs as much as possible. Even afterwards when it has ended, any thoughts on the matter do not go down well. Due to the nature of this, and the effect that emotional bleedthrough has on Mirath, it is easier to not discuss it openly.
     Kyoko  

7. dreamsofadeerkin

dreamsofadeerkin Hatchling

Shadow Buck
    Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :)
    As for my main kintype, Marionette's mostly characterized by the fandom, so I can't really say much on that. As for canon events and how I react to them... Some of the minigames in my main game I can't play because of the memories it brings up. I can play the main game, but I have to make someone play the specific minigames if I want to keep playing after the night guard gets killed.
     Kyle  

8. portalcandies

portalcandies Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ414.31
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    In that case? I actually had a memory of the meteor impact (shortly after starting my first playthrough, actually) that was eerily similar to the events in ending of the game. I'd never actually touched canon events once in my life, let alone spoiled the ending for myself. Granted, in-game the entire party is in the airship and I recall being in a bar in Kalm before losing consciousness. I was pretty shaken up the entire night afterwards, I hadn't been expecting something so similar to the memory I got while visiting the town early in Disk 1. That was... weird and it still weirds me out thinking about it.

There's also the scene where Aerith stops you outside the entrance to Wall Market... I had a memory of that years ago before I even realized I was fictionkin or even knew what otherkin was.

Two more that were not so much memories but a feelings were the "puppet" moments in the Temple of the Ancients and North Crater. They just made me feel strange but not really unsettled, I don't think? It's hard to describe, but I felt something intense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Despite the events that happened in New York, the heaviest/most violent reactions I've had seem to be centred around London and the Council. Ranging from the sigh of 'oh god not this again...' to the full-fledged hatred and bitterness and just wishing the place had been destroyed earlier than it was. It must link over, as even now I feel some sense of aversion/disgust towards London, more specifically the Houses of Parliament, which started months before I found out the canon events.

I can look back so many times at the game and just think 'I wish I'd done that differently', but then if I recall correctly Vivian never failed to remind me of their usefulness in that state... The outcome may not have been the best in my eyes, but the way we got to it was apparently necessary. Not to say I wouldn't go back and do what I feel driven to do...

• Like Like x 1