RPG Help! | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

RPG Help!

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by Gryff, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Bones:
    Ƀ487.73
    MegaphilterSparkling PhilterChibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :rolleyes:
    Hey everyone. I'm looking for a new RPG video game to play and I would like to ask for your help in finding one. All help would be appreciated! Below are the qualities I'm looking for in a game, but it doesn't have to fit all or even most of them:

• A JRPG is prefferred; I already know all of the Western ones
    • I prefer RPGs that let you play as a character that represents you, and ideally is customized or created by you.
    • I prefer action over turn based
    • The ability to play as a non-human character is of course preferred
    • I'm more likely to stick with newer games than older ones for some reason
    Again, any help would be appreciated. Thank you :evilsmile:

2. Ashan Lavellan

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ65.57
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    maybe you could list what western ones you've played? to give us an idea for what to recommend/not recommend if you've played them already? :v (although if you want rpgs BioWare makes some not-bad ones, i.e. Mass Effect and Dragon Age although you're limited to playing as a human in all of Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2.)

3. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ487.73
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    For whatever reason Mass Effect never really grabbed my interest. Here's a list of all of the RPGs I've played and enjoyed that come to mind:
    • All of the modern Elder Scrolls games
    • All of the modern Fallout games
    • Dragon Age 1 and 3
    • Persona 4
    • All of the Knights of the Old Republic games (including the MMORPG)
    • Final Fantasy X and XIV
    • Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates
    • Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X (though the gameplay is seriously frustrating)
    • All of the Fable games
    • Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    • Pokemon (all of it)
    • Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
    There are more but I imagine that should give you a good idea :evilsmile:

4. Ashan Lavellan

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ65.57
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    well there's always the plethora of kingdom hearts games--if you want to sit down and invest yourself in that convoluted mess. hmm there's one game, I guess it would be considered an "rpg" it's called Starbound (it's available on Steam) where you crash land on an unknown planet and you have to find resources and there's a lot of exploration options. You also get to make a character and they have a bunch of different species like bird people, robots, star people, are the first few that come to mind....
    Sunless Sea is another one, although I know less about it, but it's a marine-time based game where you control a boat and go exploring eldritch like horrors more or less.

5. MamaMath

MamaMath Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ198.10
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    You could try Fire Emblem: The sacred Stone. It's my favorite of this series. But it's insanely hard.

If you want something story-driven and from japan, try Earthbound. It's an insanely good game series. But it's super retro.

I know a few more really good game that aren't strictly rpg but are really good:

-Ico
    -Enslaved
    -Opoona
    -Deus Ex Human Revolution

6. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ487.73
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    Alas, a lot of those are old enough that I'm not sure I'll be able to get into them, but I'll give them a try. I've never even heard of Opoona.

The only Fire Emblem games I can play are three that don't have permadeath (the two 3DS ones and a DS one that only came out in Japan but has been translated by fans). Speaking of Fire Emblem, the JRPG I'm playing now is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

7. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ487.73
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    I'm reviving this thread because I once again find myself needing some input from others in terms of which game to approach. I'm deciding between 2, and any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated. These are the games:

1. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
    I've never been a Digimon fan at all, but from what I hear, this is a pretty good RPG in its own right. I've even heard it compared to Persona 4, one of my top 3 games of all time. I am looking for a good RPG with a good story. That said, as I've never played anything else in the series, I'm going in blind. Since the Vita version is digital only in the US (and I don't have a PS4), there's no way to rent or return it. On the flip side, it's something new, unlike the other game below, so that's a positive. Another thing; the player character in this game is the silent avatar type that you can name yourself. I get much more immersion out of a game's story when that's the case, so that's another plus. Another minus: it's turn based with random battles, and Persona 4 is the only game like that I've ever really gotten into.

2. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
    Thus one is also digital only in the US. While I was too late to get into the original Phoenix Wright trilogy, I really loved the last two games in the main series (Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies). It also looks like this one will feature a bigger role for my favorite character in the series, Apollo Justice, than Dual Destinies. On the flip side, it is mostly a visual novel, meaning there is a lot of reading, which means I can't really play it while also playing something else. But, it's pretty much a sure thing that I will like it enough to finish it, which is not the case for Digimon. On the other hand, the player character doesn't represent the player like it does in Digimon.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. The only thing for me to add is that I can't really afford to spend money on a game I don't end up liking and can't return. Thanks!

8. skellyheart

skellyheart Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ225.84
    Primary Identity:
    Cryptid
    I don't suppose something from TellTale Games would suit your interests? They've put out some good stuff, although I'm not sure if it's technically RPG. But The Wolf Among Us, for instance, is story-based and has QTEs and a mechanic for guiding events based on very small decisions (like replying to a question in a particular way).

I don't really play RPGs so I don't know what to look for in one, but if story's what you want, they're really good at it.

[Edit: Didn't see the last part, I an a big fan of Digimon, but have been disappointed with many of their games. I hear high praise for Phoenix Wright from close friends, on the other hand.]

#8 skellyheart, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ12,401.81
    Voice KeyBackground Key
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :1hearteyes:
    I own Cyber Sleuth, and I love it. I found the story fun to follow, and the soundtrack... well I own a physical copy of the soundtrack. Some of the lines were funny, and got quite challenging at times during gameplay. I'm on my second playthrough, so it must show something...

Anyone who knows me from earlier would also know that this is the game that Kyoko came over from, and sometimes comes back from time to time, though not as often as she was.

I've also just received a copy of Digimon World: Next Order, so I'm sure that'll be my weekend plan

10. odalibuc

odalibuc Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ173.38
    Primary Identity:
    Deity
    I always recommend Okami. It has a Legend of Zelda feel, without being Legend of Zelda and the "go into a dungeon, fight a miniboss, get the dungeon item, fight the boss" formula. You play as the wolf Okami Amaterasu, the sun goddess in wolf form. The game play is both unique and very well done, the soundtrack is my favorite one out of everything I've ever played, and the art style is absolutely gorgeous. It's available on PSN for both PS3 and PS4. Digital only unfortunately, but its well worth the download time. I'm on my 3rd or 4th playthrough right now.