Shapeshifting Woes | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Shapeshifting Woes

A group for demon resources, support and comparing experiences.

1. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    So as far as I can tell this is common but I'm curious to see for sure.

When trying to find myself I had serious problems because of my ability to shapeshift. As far as I can tell this is an extremely common trait to demonkin. I also believe it could be part of why we have such a low otherkin community presence. Unless we really are just that rare.

I fear demonkin just like polymorphs are grilled so hard for having doubts and many spiritual changes that they flee the community to never return.

I luckily had already stepped away from the community when my shapeshifting woes fiest started. I think the communities imput may of just made things harder to deal with.

Did you also have this problem?

2. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.10
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    YES.

I thought I was a kitsune, a succubus, part draconic at one point... so many things.

I was lucky in that I have a spirit family to talk to. The closest thing I can come up with that is a simple answer is demon, but I have a very specific view of myself now. Demon is just simple to say.

I found that the idea of a shapeshifting race was not well received when I first found the community. The fact that I had phantom shifts sometimes had people label me simply insane. It was very difficult to deal with... but I'm more secure in myself now, and much happier.

3. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Paidia Haidou I also thought I was a kitsune for a while. I was appalled by the idea of a polymorph however. I knew deep down I had a base form. I just could not find it. I had considered demon a few times however I had no idea they could shapeshift! So I crossed it off the list orginally.

They seriously marked you as insane?! Wow. You probably joined before I made my first appearance then because I didn't get that. Shesh that's harsh.

4. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.10
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    I joined the vampire community first. That was... almost ten years ago now. Some of them were very upsetting. There weren't a lot of otherkin forums back then. After that, the tumblr otherkin fad happened and it just got worse for a while. Now, though, I find people are more accepting, but I still get twitchy about mentioning I don't identify with my human body.

I understand that it's not healthy to identify with a body that doesn't exist in this dimension, but that's how I am. I tried to change it, and it just made me miserable.

If I'm going to be as healthy as possible, I've got to just learn to live with how I am as best I can. And that's what I think the kin community as a whole should be most concerned about. Not enabling bad habits, nor sugar coating things, but at the same time presenting things as they are and giving advice.

5. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Paidia Haidou I first discovered that unseen forces exsisted due to a friend loaning me their psychic vampire codex. Things just went from there. I never joined a vampyre support site however.

I never thought of it that way. That identifying with a body you don't have here could be harmful. Maybe it's because I identify my demon as my soul. Which is me. So the body doesn't come into play. I just see it as a vessel.

The community should be there for support on your journey and mental health. It seems like me however now all people have the issues with their bodies as much as you do.

6. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.10
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Yes, but seeing the body as a vessel is seen as harmful because it supposedly disconnects you from reality.

From a scientific viewpoint, that is harmful because it alienates you from society, which is seen as bad. Granted medical professionals are moving away from normalization now, that doesn't mean that the majority of society has caught up with the leading edge of psychology. :p So I just let it be "Yeah, it sucks. It makes problems. Now help me deal with it for goodness sake!"

7. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Paidia Haidou Then I don't seem to see it as a vessel in the same way? Maybe? It's my body yes, but it is just a shell for this life specifically.
    Oh I'm debating not having another physical life after this.

Alienated... bad? I personally think that view is wrong. I honestly prefer it this way. Crowds make me anxious. I disagree on many view points and can get in fights. I prefer to just be with my pack (we'rea group of friends who adopted one another into a family). I am not fond of the distorted outlooks society tends to have. Not all outlooks are bad but some are just rediculous. (I hope that didn't hit the same judgement cord I hit before in the other thread and was warned off of. @.@)

8. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.10
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Remember that the stuff I said above is aimed at a neurotypical (not-autistic) non-kin audience. I like the way I am. I just want tools to survive all the neurotypical non-kin people I have to deal with XD

9. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D