SHARK WEEK! | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

SHARK WEEK!

Discussion in 'Televison & Movies' started by Maggie Darkmoon, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    I bet not a lot of people are as pumped for shark week as I am. I love, love, love, LOVE sharks. Specifically great white sharks. I know I had a past life as a great white however it didn't impact me enough to really be considered a kintype. They are still amazing creature. I can't wait to see what new discoveries they have found. By the way yes. I have always believed the Megladon is still alive somewhere, I felt that way since I was young and saw them in a book.

So how excited are you all? We can also discuss the shows here.

2. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,080.90
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I love Shark Week. It gave me the idea for a presentation altough some shows were misleading. Doesnt mean all were just some. But believing Megalodon itself is alive? I dont believe that. Doesnt mean a shark is out there with the size of that in the deep sea since we dont know much about our ocean but the species itself? No I dont believe that. I thought that was one of the shows on Shark Week? Anyway sharks are beautiful and really misunderstood.

3. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    I think there is a chance of a small amount of them still existing de
    ue to how vast the sea is. I know more then likely it's not true but it would be amazing. I don't know why I feel that way :winkytongue:. I know some of the shows where missleading, I agree. I think it would be awesome if submarine does exsist. I think there is a chance he/she does. A shark evolving mentally and such like that would be an interesting study.

They are very misunderstood and majestic beautiful creatures. I watched a huge series after shark week about these guys going out and tagging great whites with a new technology. It was amazing, let me see if I can find the name again. It says it's a movie? I swear there was more then a movie but it's expedition great white. Maybe they made a follow up series and I watched that too. Was a great watch.

4. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,080.90
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Yeah. Shark Week can be pretty educational. It was from that I drawed to give a presentations with arguments about shark attacks for my Dutch class. My Dutch teacher found it a pretty interesting presentation and it allowed me to finish with one of the best grades of the exam. Second highest of the class. So yeah it was Shark Week that gave me the inspiration to talk about this subject and why some things arent simply true.

5. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    I agree! I have known shark attacks are a case of mistaken identity for a while now. Minus the ones that litterally started going after specifically humans. There are a small amount of those in history. Other then that sharks bite to figure out what something is. Of course those bites are easily deviating to us.

I wonder if they will have new info on that huge hammer head. I think it was supposed to be like 14ft long?

6. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Sharks are certainly misunderstood. Shark bites are very rare (relatively speaking) and we can't expect them to know who means them harm and who doesn't. That said, I wouldn't exactly volunteer to swim with them.

I always liked the episodes of Mythbusters done for Shark Week; they covered some very interesting things. Sadly I haven't watched that show in a while.

7. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    uhm great white sharks don't really bite for self defense... I mainly only study great whites. If other breeds do then I don't know. Great whites bite to figure out what something is... this has been proven. They don't have hands or anything like that to touch something. So they use their mouthes. Most bites from great whites are from not fully developed great whites seeing if we are a viable food source. Which they rule no, that explains why they only bite once... generally. However bullsharks and lemon sharks are a different story. They are both vicious breeds. Hammer head attacks are beyond rare I believe?

I LOVE Mythbusters but I don't want to get off topic.

8. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ718.81
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I love sharks, nurse sharks are my favourite, but I don't really watch any shark week programmes. Mostly because I don't have pay tv, but also because the few times I did see shark week I was pretty disappointed by how many shows focused on how viscious sharks are. Maybe it's improved since then.

Even though the people here are scared of shark attacks, and we have whole warning systems around them, they actually dont have such a bad reputation. It's not uncommon to have a shark bite victim ask that the shark be relocated rather than killed, and the few times the government has called for a cull in response to a shark attack there were major protests.

On a related note, has anyone here watched Gordon Ramsay's doccumentary on the shark fin industry?

9. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @St Claire Yeah it's a lot more educational now. However they did still have some fantasy stuff last year. I did also see Sharkfest is going to be on national geographics at the same time as shark week is on. If shark week is showing something fantastical I'm not interested in I'll flip to that. Not sure which one I'll end up watching more.

I don't fear sharks but I do think avoiding contact is a good idea. I am glad that people try so heavily to protect them. The only time I think a shark needs to be put down is like the rare ones I mentioned before. The ones who specifically target humans. I'm just glad they are rare. I still feel bad when they are put down however.

10. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ528.02
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I am a shark therian myself, and I do enjoy Shark Week to a fair extent. How much I enjoy Shark Week every year tends to depend on what they show. Documentaries that show the leaping ability of White Sharks got old many years ago, and similarly some doctrinaires sometimes seem to have topics that have been done so many times. Also, I prefer information, over entertainment and so sometimes get bored with programs that are trying to go for a "awe" and "wow" factor with little substance in facts and information. So if the year has a lot of certain programs that really don't interest me much anymore, I am less interested in that year's Shark Week.

- Ocean Touched (bigender, frilled shark and blue glaucus)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,802.03
    Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    Shark therian here...not excited. Why? Because shark week primarily serves to scare people and really hilights human stupidity. I mean, last year, they were having sharks chew on and eat cameras....they lost millions of dollars in cameras because they weren't protected enough and were destroyed...just so people could see the "scare factor" of a shark's mouth. Sigh. Few things are truly educational.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    I am feeling let down by shark week so far. I'm just seeing reruns even at 8/7c. Disappointed... let's hope that changes.

I am hoping for educational. New facts and discoveries not scare crap.

13. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,376.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I watch very little of Shark Week every year, so even some of the reruns are new to me. I skipped a lot of last year specifically because the documentaries were almost all faked. The ones this year are interesting. A lot of focus on strange habits or sharks that are not well known.

14. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    Actually 90% of these I saw last year but I have it on all day so I'm seeing everything. Pretty much a home body. I would love to see the one about shark inversion putting them into a sleep like state again. That was fascinating!

• Like Like x 1
  15. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,376.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I liked that one too! Jungle Sharks is another favourite. The one where they follow juvenile bulls up the Amazon (?) River and figured out how they avoided the crocodiles.

16. The Observer

The Observer Hatchling
    SP Artist

Bones:
    Ƀ255.41
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Mood:
    :)
    I love shark week! The Mako Shark is my favorite. My dad made me change the channel, because "All sharks do is open their mouth, and eat stuff. Do we really have to watch that year after year?" But y'know, I like the science too. And, sharks eating stuff... But anyways, I'll post the same drawing I posted on my twitter:
    [​IMG]
    It's an older one, but it suits the topic well.

Update: Picture's not loading :( I'll just upload it to the media section

17. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @FaerieForged I vaguely remember that one but now that you mention it yeah. I remember it.

@The Observer Yeah, I love great white sharks they are my favorite. I also love whale sharks but they are barely covered, let alone seen. Hammer heads and tiger sharks are interesting too.
    Oh screw him lol, he can use a different TV.
    Post the link?

There is finally another new one on! It's research into why all of a sudden all species of sharks are showing up in shallows in mass world wide. Even great whites.

18. The Observer

The Observer Hatchling
    SP Artist

Bones:
    Ƀ255.41
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Mood:
    Yeah, I'm sure they'll cover that eventually. They've covered all kinds of sharks, so I'm sure once they know more about them, we'll see something on them.
    I just uploaded it to media, so here it is:
    I have more drawings on my twitter, but not a whole lot. I'm still getting it set up and everything. It's right here if you're interested: Chargie (@ChargeWar186) | Twitter a little different than how I am on here, but eh.
    Ooh, I saw some of that before my dad got home! I'll wait until he goes to bed so I can watch the rest of it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,376.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    That's a great drawing!

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Observer

The Observer Hatchling
    SP Artist

Bones:
    Ƀ255.41
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Mood:
    Thank you! It's a little faded since I haven't touched that sketch book in awhile, and the lead is rubbing off ;-; the shading wasn't as messy as it is now.