Should I introduce my friend to Otherkin? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Should I introduce my friend to Otherkin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Trilo, May 26, 2016.

1. Trilo

Trilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ140.83
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    So, one of my closest friends seems to already experience phantom shifts, and probably others too. She seems to already know what she is (As far as I'm aware she's some kind of feline, I can't remember which one she said). She would love this community in all honesty. Problem is that she'd end up telling my more conservative friends about this. I'm mostly new to all of this so if she had any questions I doubt I'd be able to answer them for her. Should I introduce her to this now, or should I wait until I learn more about Otherkin?

2. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Maybe, unless you're worried your friend will ask the sort of questions that can't be answered by anyone here, or she turns to you solely for her questions.

If you want to wait learn more yourself, then that's fine, it's your call.

If you want to introduce her to the community, than I'm sure people around here would be more than happy to answer her questions

3. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    You could both learn more together if you introduce her now, no harm in that. :) As Mirath said, the community is happy to answer questions too, just be sure to find good resources.
    Perhaps there's a way you can tell her not to share your identity with your friends, also? She should respect that, as your friend.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ289.50
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    It can always be a difficult thing, I certainly understand wanting to control who knows the real you. But if they are really your friends they will not be against you exploring something that appeals to you. In either case, you should not be afraid to be the real you, you don't have to tell them what it is, they just have to accept the real you.
    As Magic said, perhaps this could be a journey of discovery that you could both undertake together. I hope whatever you decide goes well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Trilo

Trilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ140.83
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    I'm supposed to be going to her house today at 2pm EST. I prepared by reading most of the library articles, and if she has any questions that I can't answer I'll post them on this site so we both can learn! For the identity thing, I'll tell her to keep it among ourselves.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    How did it go? :)

7. Trilo

Trilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ140.83
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    They really didn't pay attention to me (I was constantly interrupted), though when I brought it up they were a bit distracted with whatever conversation that they were talking about. I mentioned past life, and one of my friends went on a rant of her past life. She was apparently a science experiment for a reason I forgot. (I'm pretty sure that she was a human in that life) I don't know if that's exactly kin or not, or what kintype it would be if it was.

Planning on going back on Tuesday, maybe even Monday. No idea how I'd bring it up again though.

8. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ64.65
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    Something you can do is recommend this site, denying that you use the site while not telling your username. This is equivalent to you introducing her to this community, but she wouldn't be able to say you're certainly otherkin until she sees this thread or you tell her.

9. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    I personally think you should. If your worried about your other friends jusging you ask her to keep it between just the two of you. Just be prepared because she may reject it even if she is truely experincing these things.

I am very greatful to the person who introduced me to otherkin.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trilo

Trilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ140.83
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    That's actually a pretty decent idea. I'll show her this site on my phone (not logged in of course) when I go back to her house.

(Technically it's three people, I completely forgot when I wrote this) I'm not that worried of them telling everyone in all honesty, I really only have to worry about them telling the friend that I suspect is anti-otherkin.
    As for them rejecting it, I highly doubt that. They have more of an open mind when it comes to things; plus they already are into the whole magic aspect of life so that might help.

11. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Trilo anti-otherkin? Is that really a thing? They might more likely be anti-paranormal/religous. Believing everything is explainable by science and if it can't be, it's fake. Kinda attitude. Well it seems like you've kinda convinced yourself.

12. DownwardSpiral

K9 Unit

Bones:
    Ƀ130.25
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Anti-otherkin is generally taken to mean that the person doesn't believe in otherkin or believes there's something wrong or bad about being otherkin, so yeah, pretty much that kind of attitude.

As for answering the thread question, Trilo, it seems like you've answered the question for yourself, but it was solely your call to begin with. Generally, when you decide to tell people about stuff like this, it's a good idea to go off of what you know about them and how receptive they are to new ideas, which seems like what you did. Good on you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    Gez times have changed. I'm still used to when people didn't know what the *insert beep noise* I was talking about. Which it seems people back then where a lot more receptive to the idea of otherkin when introduced. Now it just seems impossible, we are known about but I wouldn't call it common knowledge yet.