Sleep help | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Sleep help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhiteWolfKR, Feb 3, 2015.

1. WhiteWolfKR

WhiteWolfKR Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ187.60
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I figured since I am going through one of my usual non-sleep periods. As I can never keep my sleep schedule right, I tend to have a couple days at a time where I just can't sleep.
    This usually rights itself within a day or two.

I thought I'd ask everyone what they do to help them sleep? @Spiritual Hunters suggested banana peel tea, which actually made me feel like I'd just downed a whole thing of neocitran. It made me drowzey enough to get in a couple hours, which was great. Although the prep for this tea was kind of pain, I would suggest it
    I also tend to drink warm almond milk with nutmeg and cinnamon. Or warm diluted Apple juice.

So what do you do when you can't sleep? :)

2. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ2,004.66
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I usually have no problem getting sleep, 6 hours being about a minimum for me. For starters, I make sure to go to bed 8-9 hours before I have to go to bed. I *try* to stay off of homework and computers at least an hour before bed, and I'll fill that hour with some relaxing activity (such as reading).

This is no-brainer stuff though. I've never suffered any abnormal sleeplessness of insomnia, so I don't know what to suggest there.

3. Anoki

Anoki Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.27
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I would agree with Grey about staying away from the computer (or television, phone, etc) for at least an hour before bed. These things stimulate brain activity which keeps us from feeling sleepy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ2,004.66
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Woops, meant to say 8-9 hours before I have to WAKE UP

Yep I've definitely found that staying on the computer/electronic devices before bed makes it harder to fall asleep. The light that is emitted from these devices actually tricks our brain into thinking that its sunlight, which makes it harder to go to sleep.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WhiteWolfKR

WhiteWolfKR Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ187.60
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I've heard having a tv in your bedroom is bad as well.
    Usually I am not around my electronics before bed as I tend to try and read a bit before dozing off. I try to keep my bedroom as a sleep zone and not bring in distractions.
    I mostly screw up my sleep patterns because I'm stubborn. I'll stay up to finish that essay, kill that fickle fiend that's been eluding me in game, or to help my dad work his night snow removal shifts.
    As a past night shift worker, I'm sort of use to being up at all hours. (///▽///)

@Grey
    Haha, I was gonna say you spend a lot of time in bed. XD

• Like Like x 3
  6. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I'm glad to hear the tea worked! I'll have to make a note of it somewhere.

Usually I do something similar to grey. I don't have bright lights in my bedroom. All the bulbs are low powered if I do have to turn one on, it's dim and gentle on the eyes. I don't have a problem with being on electronics before bed but if I drink any kind of caffeine about two hours before bed, even if it's low caffeine in green tea, I'm awake and can't go to sleep.

~Jessie

7. ShadowSong

ShadowSong Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ8.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    You could try dimming the lights and listening to some soft, relaxing music with your eyes closed. I know it works for me. Personally, I like to combine this with some meditation, and the smell of lavender oil I find very relaxing, also.

8. Morgana

Morgana Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Angelic
    I take Melatonin every night. I only have to take 3mg now. My other medications seem to be fine to put me to sleep, but without the melatonin I will not sleep. I also use Binurial Beats, Just random ones. There is a ten minute one for Migraines I use anyway that will make me incredibly sleepy and it works great.

9. Silas

Silas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ3.69
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I get set into a routine. If I'm off by even a few hours, my entire REM cycle gets messed up. Establishing routine is my surefire way.

10. Diamond Sky

Diamond Sky Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ247.80
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I would second this actually. In the sense that I learned to sleep through caffeine and anxiety. First by talking myself down into sleep and such as if I were a child, and then by accidentally having a sort of sleepy time ritual that, done enough times, made me ready for sleep by going through the motions.

I really think it also helps to have a made up bed that's ready when you are. That you can just bury or nest yourself in easily. Otherwise the thing just looks painful and personally I tend to want to avoid it.

Nowadays these things don't work for me, and I'm more likely to fall asleep wherever whenever, but there you go.

-Jessica

• Like Like x 2
  11. Silas

Silas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ3.69
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Also, weight. My room stays cold because I need to be at a lower temperature to function, it seems. Having heavy blankets keeps me warmer, but they help me fall asleep too, so I point a fan at myself at night, too. The weight feels like a hug which is really nice ^_^

12. Sandwaster

Sandwaster Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Try lots of Chamomile and Valerian Root, maybe a health foods store might have that, but you can get it on Amazon. Melatonin helps. I have a terrible case of anxiety and herbal stuff does not help me, I take Ambien, so you might want to talk to a doctor about that.