Social Acceptability | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Social Acceptability

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander Iris, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Alexander Iris

Jun 25, 2015
    Primary Identity:
    I was wondering what is and is not considered socially acceptable when considering any and all otherkin behaviour. For instance, I tend to sit around and walk around as my dog side would around the house, alone and around my close friends who know about and accept my identity. In the general public, I do nothing. I hide it completely because I have no idea what kind of reactions I'd get, if I'd get into legal trouble, etc. I was wondering how you all felt about it and what you do around the public eye? I'd be interested to know, and possibly inspired to try it myself.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Jun 5, 2015
    Primary Identity:
    Reading your text, I think I'm more reserved than you: I told nobody I know personally I'm therian (neither my parents) and I'm careful to don't let people suspect it. For those friends who ask me more details of myself to understand why I'm "different" (is what they say) I answer that I have unusual hobbies. But I want to change that: I don't want to omit information about me anymore. So, I think I'm in the same boat as you: we want to say, but we are afraid of the society reaction.
    Sorry if it didn't helped,
  3. AppyHeart

AppyHeart Equus Genus

Jan 2, 2015
    Primary Identity:
    We all feel this troubling social acceptance, it is indeed hard to get over. I myself have stopped myself many times from doing what I wished to do at the park such as "Gallop" in fear others would wonder about me and it made me feel weird in a sense.
    People say "Who cares what everyone else thinks," and it's easier said then done.
    What I like to do is be the best I can be while working in my state of mind. I am a Noble, helpful and willing person and when people realize I want and know what is best they never question my cantering or trotting or wide eyes with flaring nostrils, I try to make them see me as a wonderful person, a horse person. but a great one non-the less.

You'll be surprised to find many people will accept different silly behaviors we share in the open when we aren't even thinking about it.
    People tend to over look what is present and see what is within when the realize you are a good person.

As for doing things randomly and not working with a customer, lets say, going to a park and running around or stalking things for fun or just trotting about after birds etc.
    People will probably wonder and sure they may not even care or maybe they will, but ultimately that time doing what you want to do and being who you want to be is for YOU.
    Don't let anyone cause a bump in your personality because you feel awkward. Sure you may get attention if it's greatly wild like howling in a store or wearing obviously dog-wolf things, but even if someone DOES care and looks at you like a freak, remember there are just and much if not MORE people who will look at that and admire how brave you are an an individual to be the way you are in public and wish they had the courage to do what you are doing.

There are pros and cons to everything, but I live by my rule of never, EVER letting anyone tell me what I can or cannot be. I've been a horse before I knew what the creature even WAS and I am a proud and noble Therian. Be noble and show your true colors. good or bad, big or little, be who you are. It's more then most "people" can even accomplish in this life.
    #3 AppyHeart, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 7