Sounds when entering sleep | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Sounds when entering sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dinocanid, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Basically when about to go to sleep, the moment I close my eyes, sometimes a few seconds after, I'll hear a sound. This happens rarely, but it's really weird when it does.
    Just last night I kept hearing a single high-pitched bark when I closed my eyes. It was really close, like it was next to me. I have dogs, but none that bark that high and they're kept outside. Once I fell asleep and had a dream that included a dog with the exact same bark; I realized that something in my subconscious that deals with dreams already probably had my dream "planned" and my brain may have been improperly registering that subconscious thought as actual sound; causing me to hear it when my mind started to slip into a sleeping state.
    I also remember a while back where the situation was similar, but instead it was a creaking gate. The thing is that I don't think I had a dream involving any gates, or if I did I forgot it instantly; which is possible.
    The sounds also doesn't repeat, it just happens once whenever I try to close my eyes that particular night it occurs. Of course it causes me to snap up every time it happens. So you can tell i have difficulty sleeping when it happens.

So, what's up? Have you experienced something similar or heard of something like it?

2. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    What you're experiencing is called hypnagogia. I have experienced this on many occasions, the most common being hypnopompic states (encountered upon waking, as opposed to drifting off to sleep). While it is a physiological and/or psychological phenomenon, one may wonder if what is encountered may, in fact, have significant meaning, or even be spiritual in nature. None of that can be proven, but it's something that people can consider when examining and reflecting on such experiences.

3. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Ha there is a word for it! For me, it's the constant sounds of my bedroom such as the fans change pitch or frequency and kind of merge at times into one constant sound. While other times when I close my eyes, I see dancing light as if I have been looking at a light for too long even though I haven't. They're usually in patterns too that either start large and get small or start small and get large. It's really weird. Other times it's just a circling light like I'm looking at a lighthouse from above.

~Jessie

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinocanid

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    It can be interpreted as spiritual in some situations, but I doubt that's the case with me since it doesn't bear(bare? Idk) any importance to anything, let alone have any relevancy. This does explain that one time I heard an unknown voice tell me to go to sleep though, so idk. It's something to think about.

5. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    The English teacher in me just has to step in and help here! Haha. x3

"Bear" means to hold, brandish, or produce something (e.g. the pithy "right to bear arms and arm bears," which is a good way to remember the correct spelling). "Bare" means to make visible, such as to "bare one's feelings" or having "bare feet."

I hope that helps for the future. n_n;

6. Dinocanid

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Heheh thanks ^_^;

• Like Like x 2
  7. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    This is awesome! We always have trouble with those two separate words and now we have a little guide!

But back on topic, did you ever experience it Zen? Is that why you know about it?
    ~Jessie

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Yep, quite often. I've seen and heard all sorts of things: Dead pets and family members, horrifying corpses, shadow and/or void creatures, little spirit people dancing on my bedside table, words written on walls and windows, insects, whispers, odd noises, being poked, experimented on, and electrocuted (the last one is actually extremely common; it's related to some physiological and/or neurological response).

9. Sudrolth

Sudrolth Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.01
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I think that sounds like exploding head syndrome.
    I have it sometimes when just as I'm falling asleep, I'll hallucinate incoherent speech, gunshots, cannons, or whatever. Sometimes it's SO loud it wakes me up, but then I realize it's nothing and just go back to sleep again.

10. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ916.95
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    I've had that once or twice, its so infrequent I've never let it worry me. Its weird when it happens though.

11. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.45
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I've had this before, most commonly I hear someone saying my name right as I'm about to fall asleep, and it's usually the voice of someone I know. Far more commonly I experience lucid dreams during the waking period, where I'm aware of my body laying in my bed, and may even know that I'm awake (or at least no longer fully asleep), but I still continue to dream. Sometimes when this happened I can even open my eyes and move around in the bed and as soon as I'm still with my eyes closed again the dream continues as if nothing happened.

12. DemonFox

DemonFox Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    With me the normal sounds in my room seem to get louder like the fish tank in my room for example, and i'll see spooky shadowy shapes in my hallway and occasionally in my room. I heard a voice call my name once as well.

13. PinkTitanium

PinkTitanium The Fallen Faerie
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    I have also experienced this but only with my name being heard, the voice has ranged my mother to unknown raspy male voice. It scares the crap out of me every time, and I always end up thinking "You just started dreaming and didn't realize it again" which also happens lol. However, the experiences are different, I just comfort myself by saying it's the same, because i'm a big scaredy cat lol.

14. Diamond Dogs

Diamond Dogs Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ0.05
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    I'm glad Zen'akufuni's here to save the day, for the life of me, I couldn't remember what it was called.

We experience this a lot. Our body isn't particularly great at sleeping, so we tend to uncomfortably straddle that line in between awake and asleep for prolonged periods of time. Usually what happens with us is that we'll start experiencing our current train of thought before our eyes and ears (we can hear/see it), but laid over top of reality. So, a thin layer of hallucinations laid over reality, kind of like a film that we can still see/hear our surroundings through. We also encounter sleep paralysis with some frequency, though, so I think our body and mind just really have a difficult time with sleep in general. (Should be noted that we don't have a sleep disorder. We've been tested on two separate occasions. Not a one.)

- JETSTREAM SAM

• Like Like x 4