Spooky Games for Halloween | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Spooky Games for Halloween

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by Zen'akufuni, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Seeing that Halloween is approaching, and that October is the West's month of all things macabre, I thought it might be fun to share a list of some recommended creepy, spooky, and/or horror games which I have played. Please feel free to also post about your own! n_n

-Resident Evil (series): While not truly the very first survival horror game/series, RE is responsible for putting the genre on the "map." While it (initially) deals with familiar zombie trope, it puts a rather unique spin on it as the story unfolds. With the original games being ported and/or remade, now it a great time for slackers to finally pick it up. Platforms: Almost everything (but depends upon the entry in question)

-Silent Hill (series): Silent Hill is known for giving Resident Evil some real competition. However, instead of taking a purely visceral approach to horror, SH deals in using more subtle methods to inflict fright. The grotesque nature of the story and enemies, the sometimes grey morality, as well as the continuing mystery surrounding the titular town, make this series unforgettable. Shattered Memories, despite being an alternate universe story, takes survival to the extreme, making the player vulnerable and forcing them to flee, not fight. Platforms: PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, PS Vita, PC

-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem: A niche title, but one with a rabid fanbase, ED was an experiment in how far the genre could be taken. Psychological horror played a key role in this Lovecraftian-inspired story. Aside from the disturbing imagery, the characters' sanity is a key component and a resource which must be managed. As their sanity falls, they will become more difficult to control, and the game, itself, will begin playing all manner of tricks on the player, some which have gone down into gaming history as legendary. Multiple characters with intersecting stories, all of which span hundreds of years, keep things fresh and interesting. If you can get your hands on this, don't waste any time in snatching a copy. Platforms: GC, Wii (via backward compatibility)

-Parasite Eve (series): A lesser known series, PE is Square-Enix's take on the survival horror genre. Like most of their noteworthy games, it's an RPG, but the mechanics are quite unique. Though some aspects of the story may feel a little too familiar, the rest of it, as well as the battle mechanics and the game's version of NYC, made this a sleeper hit. Platforms: PS1 (physical); PS3, PSP/Vita (digital)

-Clock Tower (series): If you're a fan of some of the newer survival horror games, which are full-tilt survival with little to no combat, this one's for you. Tactics and puzzle-solving are at the heart of CT games; the player must avoid insane and monstrous stalkers, all while also trying to escape from their situation and/or solve a surrounding mystery. CT3 does involve some combat at the end of each chapter, as the heroine gains the power to fight back against her attacker (this is the game I recommend most). Platforms: PS1, PS2

-Haunting Grounds: A spin-off of CT, HG's best feature is that the heroine must work together with a white German Shepherd to escape a creepy castle in which she finds herself, with no memory of how she got there. The player is able to train the dog, Hewie, to respond to certain commands. Rewarding his obedience with praise and taking care of his health are necessary for positive results. It is only by gaining Hewie's trust that he will reliably respond and do as he is told. Like CT, puzzles must be solved to both progress the story and defeat bosses. How well the player bonds with Hewie will influence which of the multiple endings are achieved. Platform: PS2

-Alan Wake: A writer with severe writer's block seeks new inspiration by vacationing to a serene mountain town with his wife. Shortly after arriving, his wife disappears, and Alan finds himself having experienced a week of lost time. As darkness literally begins to descend upon him and the town, he must solve the mystery of his lost week and missing wife, all while dealing with the slow realization that this sleepy little burg isn't as idyllic as it first appeared. The residents will also do whatever it takes to keep their secrets out of the light. Platforms: Xbox 360, PC

-Amnesia (series): As the title suggests, these games are about characters who have no memory of whom, or where, they are, nor how they got there. The goal is to figure these mysteries out, while also avoiding the horrific enemies. The first game is much more Lovecraftian in tone, and it also has much more complicated puzzle mechanics. The second game, A Machine for Pigs (which is not a direct sequel), is more philosophical in nature, and ot has much more minimalist and user-friendly mechanics. This is the series which spawned the recent fad of run-or-die games. Platforms: PC, Mac

-Corpse Party (series): No one in the West is able to create horror quite like the Japanese. Both visceral and psychological horror combine to make a twisted and disturbing tale of violence and death. Multiple characters and endings, as well as alternate timelines/universes, allow for superb characterization that really made me care about and empathize with them (even the crazy ones). Survival and puzzle solving are at the heart of the mechanics, but the story is the real draw. Due to the extremely visceral nature of the game, this series is only recommended to adults with a strong constitution. Heed the rating on these. Platforms: PSP, PS Vita, iOS, PC (will require translation patches)

There are other games, but I've been working on this post for way too long. I may list some more later.

Have you played any of these games? If so, how did you feel about them? Are there any other games you'd recommend for the Halloween season?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    F.E.A.R.- You play as a trained government agent that investigates and combats ghost and psychics, it has a great jump scare rating and the atmosphere keeps you on edge.

Fatal Frame- Each game in the series has different people and new stories, but the basic is you are trapped in a ghost town and are trying to find a way out while spirits chase you; your only weapon is a camera that deals damage to ghosts when you take pictures. These games are great at jump scares as some ghost can move there floors and walls freely to get you, or have the run of an entire floor.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Dead Space is a good sci-fy horror game. You're alone in an empty space vessel with nothing but yourself, your thoughts... and flesh eating aliens. :3

• Like Like x 4
  4. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    Among the Sleep - one of my personal favourite horror indies! You play as a young toddler searching for your mother with your talking teddy bear. It makes a lot of neat social commentary on abuse, and makes you really think while you play. The atmosphere is amazing, very fantastic and spooky even though the environment is made of every day objects. Sort of reminiscent of American McGee's Alice. It's short, playable in a sitting for sure. I highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Sekhmet

Sekhmet Hatchling
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Neverending Nightmares is a fantastic horror game. It's well-written and has a beautiful art style. There are times when it's quite disturbing and twisted, but it is done in a way that makes sense and fits the feel of the game.

6. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ52,093.86
    Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    SOMA. A recently released sci-fi horror game, that just completely screws with your mind. It's made by the same developers as Amneisa: The Dark Descent (not A Machine For Pigs, that was made by The Chinese Room. Didn't hold up to the name it was given, if you ask me), it's a beautiful looking game, and it's truly one of the better games out there (in my opinion)

Onto Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I bring this up, even though it was already mentioned. Amazing horror game on it's own, but I'm mentioning it for a different reason than the original game. There's a custom story called 'The Great Work,' it has new sounds, new textures, new monsters, and a metric ton of gameplay. It took me about 10 hours to complete, and I figured I would mention it because it's simply one of the best custom stories out there for the original Amnesia.

Final games I'm mentioning, the Penumbra series. Also made by the creators of the original Amnesia and SOMA, Frictional Games. A great series, but I feel it's somewhat underrated, shadowed by its successor series Amnesia. Hard to explain, especially since I haven't played the games in a very long while, but a good representation of the classic horror game.
    Ok I might be a bit of a Frictional fanboy... In my defense, they make some pretty good games. Except for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, that game did NOT deserve the title of Amnesia. Technically not made by them, but published by them, so I count it ;)

EDIT: Oh hey, and if anybody out there want's a game recommendation, I'm a huge gamer. I might be able to recommend something :D

7. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    It's worth noting that Fatal Frame 5 is now available for sale on the Wii U eShop, and there's a demo of Yokai Watch up on the 3DS eShop.

PSN also has started their "Sale of the Dead," which has massive sales on horror games (Plus members get even more of a discount). Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is my personal pick for this week. Week 1 ends today/tomorrow, with Week 2 beginning after tomorrow's update.

There's also Steam's Halloween sale, which is usually a two or three day deal around the 31. Some popular games/series that normally go up for that are: Penumbra, Amnesia, Five Nights at Freddy's, The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, Bioshock, Castlevania, Gone Home, Home, Left 4 Dead, Alan Wake, Darkness Within, among all manner of others. There's also a new single-player companion game to The Secret World (which may also be on sale) called The Park, which looks really intriguing. I'm not sure if it will be on sale so soon after launching, but it's cheap as is, so may be worth checking out.

8. Kitsu

Kitsu Kapptsune

Bones:
    Ƀ127.02
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    Off— a RPG maker game that is scary because of it's mysterious and disturbing lore.
    Mogeko Castle— A parody of the bloody JRPG games and 4chan. Not very scary, but the story is sorta interesting. Also, it's very... Sexually disturbing.
    P.T.— Sure, it's a teaser for a dead game. Sure, it's been removed from the Playstation store. However, it's one of my favorite horror games.
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent— This is the first horror game I decided to actually play... I've only played a minute of it and the excitement of meeting the monsters

9. Kitsu

Kitsu Kapptsune

Bones:
    Ƀ127.02
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    Off— a RPG maker game that is scary because of it's mysterious and disturbing lore.
    Mogeko Castle— A parody of the bloody JRPG games and 4chan. Not very scary, but the story is sorta interesting. Also, it's very... Sexually disturbing.
    P.T.— Sure, it's a teaser for a dead game. Sure, it's been removed from the Playstation store. However, it's one of my favorite horror games.
    Majora's Mask— Can a Zelda game count? Well, this one is at the very core a children's horror game.