*goes fast*
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 10, 2018
Bones
🦴369.52BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Status Updates typically produce content of low quality, which are then artificially reacted to by users. They are isolated to user profiles and aren't typically advertised elsewhere. They're also typically buried as other content is created and reacted to. Going forward, status updates will be disabled. Please see our guidelines regarding the reaction system.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
Sep 27, 2018
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Why get rid of status updates entirely? Can't the reaction system be disabled on status updates as opposed to doing away with statuses themselves?
It’s more complicated than just disabling the reaction system on status updates unfortunately. This is the cleanest way to not have the issue of the reaction system on status updates, and especially since the status updates don’t add much to the site and wind up buried, it’s not a huge loss.

If there is overwhelming support for having status updates, we might be inclined to revisit this decision, but as it stands, I think this decision was fine, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Effervescent-Daydream

Mar 12, 2019
Bones
🦴11.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
It’s more complicated than just disabling the reaction system on status updates unfortunately. This is the cleanest way to not have the issue, and especially since the status updates don’t add much to the site and wind up buried, it’s not a huge loss.

If there is overwhelming support for having status updates, we might be inclined to revisit this decision, but as it stands, I think this decision was fine, personally.
Ok I suppose, but I thought they were a really nice place to post short (though still interesting) things that may not have warranted an entire blog or forum post. 

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
Sep 27, 2018
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Ok I suppose, but I thought they were a really nice place to post short (though still interesting) things that may not have warranted an entire blog or forum post. 
I totally understand, though I will add that you can always post those thoughts to the IRC or discord chat instead, if that helps with where those kinds of small thoughts can go instead.

LunastreDraconis

Celestial Draconian Queen 🌔
Jan 8, 2019
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I’m sure this decision was made to encourage others to use the discord or Kinmunity IRC, and to encourage more quality posts! It wasn’t made out of bad intent, it’s just there are other ways to express small thoughts here. The posts do get buried with time anyways! All will be well though I can assure myself and others ^.=.^

FoxChi

Apr 20, 2019
Bones
🦴0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
Do you think that we can make a new topic too post our Status in one place?  It is nice to say something that's short, and not really intended for replies, or whatever, and have a place to post it...  I am not too sure what was wrong with them, or what happened, but I do not think that it is a bad idea to make a new topic for it 😊

I say that with respect with the choice that has been made...  : )

Naia

*goes fast*
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 10, 2018
Bones
🦴369.52BN
Pronouns
Feminine
Based on feedback, we will be evaluating ways to bring back statuses (without reactions) in the near future.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
Sep 27, 2018
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I don’t think any of the staff inherently had an issue with statuses, we just want to have reactions used in the right places. I think the best thing we could do would be to 1) have the statuses be in a designated place on a profile (not mixed with the activity feed where they’re bound to get lost, and 2) not have reactions enabled.

Taking care of all that could take some time, so please be patient with us while we work out a fix for all that!

FoxChi

Apr 20, 2019
Bones
🦴0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
1) have the statuses be in a designated place on a profile (not mixed with the activity feed where they’re bound to get lost
That's a good idea.  Then we can look back at our status

*looking back at the status's* "Ahhh.... memories..."

jk, but still.  good idea!