Stephen Hawking launches a $100 million search for intelligent extraterrestrial life | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Stephen Hawking launches a $100 million search for intelligent extraterrestrial life

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Lost, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    'We must know': Hawking launches biggest-ever search for alien life
    Stephen Hawking launches $100m search for alien life beyond solar system
    Stephen Hawking Announces $100 Million Pledge To Search For Intelligent Extraterrestrial Life
    Stephen Hawking Helps Launch Massive Search for E.T.

holy jeez this is so exciting!! it's been my dream since i was a little kid that we'd find alien life - and now we actually might!
    and if we do, there's so many possibilities, like: we could learn things from them! we could start an intergalactic trade! maybe even make friends from light years away!!
    we might even be able to confirm or debunk alien sightings here on Earth!!
    i legit might cry this is so amazing

sorry for all the links i'm just so happy

• Like Like x 2
  2. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.02
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I've been following it, and I'm really excited for it! Maybe they'll find the species of some of our members here, would be awesome

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    yesssss @BlueDragon that's what i was thinking too!!!

4. BlueDragon

BlueDragon Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.02
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    @Lost I don't want to sound selfish in this one, but I hope they'll find my home planet one day

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    @BlueDragon i hope they do too!! that's not selfish at all :)

6. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I'm very curious as to what turns up, space has always been an interesting topic for me.

7. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I read this story yesterday and while I'm very excited, I'm also very sad because dammit I wish I could be in school for astrophysics instead of computer programming so I can be a part of this study!

8. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    @TheSolitaryGray oh gosh me too! but at the same time idk if i'd be cut out for astrophysics anyway. but dang if i don't still wanna be a part of the program!

9. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Oh, I've adored astrophysics for ages. I'm only going to school for computer programming so I can eventually afford the schooling for astrophysics. It just saddens me that it would be many years in the future until I was qualified and probably too late for this project.

10. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    aw, man, yeah school's so expensive. i wish you luck though! maybe the project will still be going when you're qualified!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. PerkyHedgewitch

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    Don't get too down and out! Who is going to program the satellites? Who is going to program allllllll of the software needed to organize all of the data they find? ^_^

This is super exciting. If they start branching out and looking for carbon based life forms on other habitable planets, the implications would be astounding for our society as a whole.

• Like Like x 5
  12. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    This is part of the reason I'm even bothering with computer programming at all. Having both under my belt would let me be a bit more hands-on on some projects down the road.

I should note that this particular project isn't just looking for life in general, such as microbial life, but will be scanning for radio transmissions and other evidence of specifically intelligent life. The search for life in general has been one of NASA's primary missions for a while now and they've already stated that finding microbial extraterrestrial life is inevitable within the next twenty years. This project is more along the lines of the SETI Institute's goal of finding advanced lifeforms capable of communication. I'm not saying the more general mission isn't important, because it's wildly important, just that this project has slightly different goals. :)

13. KeiraKinoverMar

KeiraKinoverMar Hatchling
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ700.88
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    This does bring some hope to me, that I could find my home, but at the same time I wonder if there is still a place to call home. I'd love to know, but yet I'm worried about the result.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shilo

Shilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    This is epic, I am quite excited.

15. Shoukei

Shoukei Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Hmmmm, personally I think if intelligent life exists we do not want to find it. Planets like ours are rare, we could be drained of resources, enslaved, destroyed, die of an alien disease, kill the aliens with our bacteria, start a war (hey we can barely get along with ourselves!)

Intelligent life that developed in a marine environment is unlikely to have had an industrial revolution as well.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hopper

Hopper Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.06
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    This is awesome!!! I hope they find something.

17. Vaerynn

Vaerynn Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.71
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    To me, it's not a question of if, it's when. Shame that at this point in history, if I were to tap someone on the shoulder and explain to them what I've learned over the years, the only thing that it would garner me is a nice padded cell.

18. Hopper

Hopper Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.06
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Well now you've got me curious Vaerynn, what have you learned? I agree that there has to be intelligent life out there, what I'm not so sure is if they will find it this time around. I mean, trying to find someone in a supermarket can be hard, let alone the universe.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Vaerynn

Vaerynn Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.71
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    True, the universe, let alone the galaxy, is vast and it is indeed a bit of a crap shoot. However, I remain confident that contact will me made, perhaps not in this particular lifetime, but I feel as though we're on the cusp of something massive. As for what I've learned, well, it's nothing more than educated guesses on my part, but I suppose if NASA or any other agency really wanted to have an idea as to what's out there, they could always talk to me. ;) But then I'd get the aforementioned padded room. :D

• Like Like x 2