Stress reducers | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Stress reducers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Amaris Matris, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Amaris Matris

100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ252.69
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Hello!

This thread is for people to share what they do when they are stressed or upset to help them relax or just a habit (like biting your fingernails).

Personally, I'm not usually someone to talk about my feelings to anyone except for my mother (who I confide almost everything in) because I don't like people to see me vulnerable so I try to sort things and my own emotions out by myself.

One way I deal with being upset is making a doll. They are usually made of four sticks (one for the spine one for the arms and two for the legs) with a chestnut for a head wrapped with string to hold it all together. I like to think that I put all of my bad emotions and all of my tears into the doll as I'm making it.

Then I build up a fire and destroy everything that is related to the thing that is making me upset. I burn all of the paper documents, I delete every email or message or I unfriendly people on various things, delete contact details and finally, I burn the doll. Then I put out the fire once everything is gone and the doll is only ashes.

That is what I do, what do you do? Do you have any specific thing or do you have a habit or something you do to relax?

2. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ358.37
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I drink a cup of tea, it's warm and relaxing. I try to do things to keep my mind occupied like playing a game, drawing, walking my dog.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MechanicJasper

MechanicJasper Autonomous and Anxious Android
    Machines United!

Otherkin HeptagramVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,128.59
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    Often I make some tea or coffee, or I get an energy drink since I have a bit of a caffeine addiction. I draw or write some sort of vent, though they're often quite intense. I've got certain songs I relate to calmness, which I often listen to when anxious on buses and while travelling to settle my nerves.
    This one may sound childish, but someone really important to me made me a plush dragon about two years ago. I relate it to her and it's nice and soft, so holding it when I'm stressed and alone is good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ190.57
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I dance, do art, go for walks in the woods, listen to music, cuddle with my husband and/or kitty, and watch my favourite TV shows. :)

5. TheJackedRose

Bones:
    Ƀ183.53
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I also have a stuffed animal that I like to hold for stress, surprisingly picked up that habit only as an adult.
    I often use scents as well - I have a vial of Dragon's Blood that is very strong and very soothing, and it can be dabbed onto things easily if I'm heading somewhere.
    I draw and/or color, depending on my mood and how into things I want to get. Coloring Furvilla bases or any of the line art of artist's I follow and be fun and stress reducing. I'll also switch over to sewing if I have a current project - I hand sew so it's very rhythmic and relaxing.

6. Amaris Matris

100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ252.69
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Cool! I have dogs as well and I find walking them is also great to relieve stress.
    --- Post updated ---
    That's interesting, what is the stuffed animal? I have one that I sleep with occasionally which I've had since I was two. He is a chocolate brown moose and his antlers are incredibly worn because I used to chew them.

7. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    I very nearly had a breakdown, but I started trying to stimulate my senses. I ended up sniffing a deodorant bar, not the best idea but it worked. Old spice odor blocker body wash is too powerful to let this depression set in. This was a rare occasion. In most cases, I write, drink tea, go for a walk, listen to music, or play video games.

8. The Observer

The Observer Hatchling
    SP Artist

Bones:
    Ƀ255.41
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Mood:
    I usually pace and think of scenarios that match what caused it to raise it. This is more of a method to burn myself out so the effects don't last as long as they normally would. I make sure I'm alone when I do it, so I don't get angry or emotion towards anybody. Since it also burns my energy, I take a nap afterwards. By the time I wake up, I'm completely fine. It's probably not the most healthy method, but it works better than anything. It's also the reason why I tend not to hold grudges; I get rid of it all at once.

9. MamaMath

MamaMath Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ198.10
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    It's a bit stupid bit... when I have panic attack, I read my Machinery Handbook, do mental math or try to analyse the structure of object near me.

Doing stuff that is rational truly help calming me down. I'm pretty sure that it's scientifically proven that you can't be in a state of panic while reading about metal density. It's just that boring.

10. Naresie

Naresie Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ74.13
    Primary Identity:
    Energy Being
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I have since my very early teens have had a bad habit of ripping small bits of skin off of certain parts of my body, usually my face though. Thankfully it has gotten much, MUCH better nowadays, but it sometimes surfaces when I am facing incredible amounts of stress. In the past it made my skin not look very pretty though.

11. Sonnentanz

Sonnentanz Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ57.73
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I'm a coffee and tea drinker like others, though I don't think the caffeine does much for relaxing me in the end. As someone who doesn't usually talk openly about my feelings (for better or for worse), I'm more likely to be listening to music, playing games, or working to take my mind off it, or just trying to work through it so that it stops eating up my mental energy. In many cases, what is is going to be and agonizing over it changes very little. I've also been prone to snacking but try not to keep too much junk laying around.

12. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,354.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Tea is definitely a go to for stress. I even have a special hidden pocket in my bag I keep with me at all times I call my "tea-mergency" pocket. It's filled with over two dozen teas.
    I also stretch/do yoga, write, draw, colour, listen to calming music.
    And sometimes if I'm particularly stressed I go to my baby blanket that I was given when I was born. I'll hold it over my nose with my index and middle finger and breathe it's scent, and with my free hand I'll rub the pipe fold (that's when material loosely folds over itself). Scent and touch are important senses for me.

13. Echo

Echo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ60.20
    Primary Identity:
    Nymph
    --- Post updated ---
    A tea-mergency pocket is a fantastic idea. I need one for chocolate

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kaliya

Kaliya Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ80.34
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Sugar, a scalding shower, a shot of vodka, and enough incense to think I was burning the magic bush beforehand. Being multiple, most stress is directly physically related... for whatever reason. Calm the body, the spirit within can exist in peace. If it's something from within though, I'm usually the go-to problem solving machine. I'll talk up and down about any issue anyone has until it makes sense.
     Malfael  

I generally do not experience stress, but when I do, I enjoy behaving more naturally as well as logically working through well-known information. Walking in grass with my bare feet, naming the flora and fauna I see is more than sufficient. Spending a good deal of time processing facts, learning new things, or doing simple mathematical or kinisthetic puzzles is also extremely soothing, almost meditative to me.
     Neguilla  

15. Kimber

Kimber Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.16
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    If I'm not at home, or away from my usually things, I have a stress ring that can spin that I find really helps with both anxiety and stress. Just having something to twiddle with my hands does a lot when there's nothing else. When I'm out, I also try to always have earphones at least with me, just in case the need comes up I can pop on a playlist to help me relax, or sometimes even if I don't have music playing in them, I think just having them to even slightly block things out helps a lot.

When I am at home though, I have certain music I generally listen to, usually along the lines of New Age or Orchestral music, and maybe some Country every now and then.
    I also pet my dog, or hold my snakes, and just having another being there seems to help at times.
    And if all else fails, I just go lay in bed for a while and listen to music/watch a documentary to distract myself.

16. Havoc

Havoc Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ45.02
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    I either lay in bed and listen to music or sleep

17. Svant Ixen

Svant Ixen Fire in the Sky
    VIP

Background KeyGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionSilver Dragon CoinGold Dragon CoinFerocious Green DragonChibi DragonFerocious Navy DragonBronze Otherkin HeptagramBronze Dragon CoinFerocious Red DragonVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ33,166.57
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    Music, sketching, reading, and sitting outside. Music and doodling seem to work best; music gets me out of a poor mindset, and doodling is a good refocus.

Running, sleeping, and music!
     Sonic  

18. kanyatalake

kanyatalake Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ145.51
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    Swimming/shower, nature, food, melatonin tablet, lavender essential oil

19. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I draw, listen to music, take pictures, play with my pets and watch an insane amount of Netflix. :)

20. Gryneos

Gryneos Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ484.50
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    Mood:
    Lately, it's been anything where I get to work with my hands: drawing, painting, macrame, baking, re-potting plants. I may or may not have on music, just as I may or may not use that MyNoise site I like to promote around here. Hopefully y'all will try it. I guess I should make a new thread for it, because I think it was lost in the site's mishap earlier this year. There are plenty of sounds on it that could be soothing to various kin :)