Synesthesia | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Synesthesia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beinnisbog, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Beinnisbog

Beinnisbog Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ3.69
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    "Synesthesia is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway." (x)

Me, I've got regular ol' (grapheme > colour) and (weekday/month > colour) synesthesia, alongside the slightly more exotic (motion > sound). The letter A is the exact shade of gold of my kinself's scales, which is pretty great, and probably not a coincidence.
    Now, I'm sure that the other synesthetes out there are furiously shaking their heads and thinking 'A is red/green/purple, damn it!' - so come out and tell me about it! If you've got it, tell me what kinds and what your associations are!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Saoirse

Saoirse Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ14.33
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I don't personally have Synesthesia, but I find it very interesting! I hope that I'll be able to learn a bit more about it if people post more in this thread and I'm interested to see what some of the associations are. Very neat topic.

3. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    My only experience with synesthesia is involved in watching people try to debunk personal spiritual experience using it as a perfect explanation for everything. Ticks me off.

4. Hibiscus

Hibiscus Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ15.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I have synesthesia and it plays a part of a daily life. It's pretty...extreme, but definitely my own private experience. Some of my friends have experiences that align with mine but what's more important is it's consistency. Numbers/letters/weekdays all have colors of course but so does everything else. Actually everything has it's own 3 dimensional object in a space "seen" in my 3rd eye. It's very spacial.
    "A" is a marigold kind of yellow for me personally. Numbers and letters(fairly) consistently go from warm and light --> dark and cool.
    My biological sister has a more minor form of the same experiences that I have. So I'm of the opinion that it has some genetic basis.
    I also support the theory that synesthesia is something every human is born with but eventually grows out of, those with synesthesia as adults simply didn't outgrow it.

I'm sorry that individuals have trivialized your experiences using their own, however that doesn't reflect all synesthetes. All kinds of folk have synesthesia, the ones that use their skills to place themselves above others are foolish.
    My own experiences cannot be used to explain the experiences for others, only used to understand. That's how I go about it at least.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PerkyHedgewitch

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    Is it possible to have this, but grow out of it? I remember certain emotions being different colors when I was a young child, and associating different periods of my life with different colors based on an overarching emotional state. That doesn't seem to happen any more though.

6. Beinnisbog

Beinnisbog Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ3.69
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I'm pretty sure there have been a couple of papers suggesting that everyone is born a synesthete, but not enough for it to be generally accepted as fact. In my opinion it seems pretty likely, though!
    Emotions to colours is an interesting one. Care to share what was associated with what?

7. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    This thread peaked my curiousity, I spent all of today looking it up and learning about; in short I think it is amazing. I don't claim to have synesthesia, but I do associate certain tastes to certain colors; I also found that there is very little over the synesthesia that I am similar to.

This is a link to a report on one such case: http://users.uoa.gr/~aprotopapas/CV/pdf/Nikolinakos_etal_2013_NeuroCase.pdf. I thought you guys might like it, and I have to admit I'm envious of your extra special perception of the world. :D

• Like Like x 5
  8. Alieta

Alieta Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.10
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I don't know if I have it, but it seems very cool. I actually associate many of my inner energies or feelings with different colors. Like healing energy is green and Heat energy is red, Cold energy is blue, that sort of thing.

9. Calico

Calico The Shrink
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ18.60
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I actually have a question regarding synesthesia. I know many people with it associate things with colours, and while I don't know if I have it, I have always associated things (specifically people and places) with temperatures. Some people are 'hot' to me (not in the way that most people use hot, as it has nothing to do with their appearance. I feel them as being a literal hot tempertature) and I associate some places (such as the department store I regularly visit) as being 'cold' in temperature, though it has nothing to do with the actual temperature of the store. I'm not sure if this is synesthesia at all, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Cyano PhilterFrostfire PhilterBold PhilterStandard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.31
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I tend to associate objects with sounds. A particular objects is identified by the 'sound' I hear, rather than the object itself. I especially do this with facial expression, and textual emoticons.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hibiscus

Hibiscus Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ15.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Yes that is most definitely a form of synesthesia, the ability to discern temperature is definitely a sensation.

12. Invisus

Invisus Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ7.60
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    ;)
    I have temperature synesthesia, too. Mostly with visual and auditory stimuli. From what I know, it's one of the rarer forms which is why not many people know of it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I don't really know much about synesthesia, but I know myself and a couple of others agreed that certain colors have flavors. (ex. green)

14. Tabitha Driskell

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.47
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :)
    I can't see letters as colors. That I know of, I tend to not look at the color but the word in my mind, when I have words that is. My thoughts are more imagery.

I can taste smells, feel sounds. I have seen the color orange twice. Once when a high pitched horn on a semi honcked next to me. I felt te sound, tasted metal and saw a pumpkin type big color right in my mind. What I call a third eye. It was awful.

The other time was when I was walking through a building and some smell 'attacked' me. I couldn't breathe, I saw orange and nobody else was affected by it!

I also can feel things around me and taste words, like strawberry and tobacco in the word cigarettes
    This also happens when people say a word too. Not all tastes are unpleasant. I used to taste a very sweet vanilla near a tree we used to live by. It was beautiful. :)

There may be more stuff but I can't tell the difference between normal senses and my own XD

15. anders

anders Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I have synesthesia, most of it is sound- and vision-related. I don't really get it with my other senses so much.
    It's part of the reason I love music so much, I think, that I tend to see quite complicated images.
    I also have the type where I see numbers and dates laid out in a specific kind of map.
    Sometimes I also get emotions from sounds that aren't normally associated with feelings in that way... It's kind of hard to explain that one.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    Honestly, my senses are so reliant and intertwined with eachother that it gets confusing. If I say "Hey, that's a pretty tasty beat", I mean it literally. Like, certain types of music have different tastes, smells, and numbers. I experience math as colors, certain numbers are prettier than others, Pi, Avagardo's number, e, i, etcetera. Also, very specific tastes are like physical experiences, I have described a nice strong cup of bitter tea as being like a nice dip in a warm lake.

I would also like to point out that tasting smells is an entirely normal thing. Most of your tasting capabilities are from smelling it, that's why when you are blindfolded and you pinch your nose, apples, raw potatoes, and raw onions all taste the same.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Glow in the Dark

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Oh hey, I have this. Not sure if it's related, but I also get synesthesia as a side effect VERY easily from drugs.

Anyway, I have two types of synesthesia; I have associative color synesthesia (basically, most concepts, sounds, music, people, etc. are "felt" as colors by me.) Sometimes the colors are very complex and it's almost like a painting. I basically think in colors a lot of the time instead of in pictures or words or just with a sense of "knowing" like most other people do. This trips me up when I talk sometimes - I'll try to talk about it but I think about it as a color so I have to kind of translate it from colors into words. Explaining plots or story ideas is so hard because there's so many different color associations for every part of it! I also see auras around people that correlate with their emotions and how I perceive their personality.

18. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ837.90
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Question for everyone: have you read the book A Mango-Shaped Space? How accurately does it portray synesthesia? I personally really liked the book, but then again I don't have synesthesia so I'm curious how people who do received it.

19. Nova

Nova Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Whoops, this is a really late reply, but actually, A Mango-Shaped Space was my first encounter with the word "synesthesia" which I had never before heard of, when I was 11 years old. I have grapheme-color and chromesthesia, so finding a book that described those experiences at all was really nice. In terms of actual accuracy, I find that the book is partially correct. Generally, it's not quite so, I don't know, literal, I suppose? It's pretty rare for people with grapheme-color or chromesthesia to actually literally see colors to the point where it actually can interfere with vision. It's more of a perception of colors than actually seeing colors in your field of vision for most people; the book made it sound like everyone with those kinds of synesthesia experiences it in the form of actually seeing colors in your field of vision, and after the initial "Holy crap!! That's me!!" wore off, little i me started wondering if I didn't really have synesthesia for a while.

That said, though, the book did a pretty stunningly accurate job depicting the less fun sides of synesthesia, most notably the sensory overloads that can happen. The way it discussed communities and meetings of people with synesthesia was pretty interesting, too (I've never actually found anything like that outside of old Yahoo groups). However, this is all based on my experiences with synesthesia, and since everyone's experiences are entirely unique, there could be people who do experience it more like the way the book describes.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Pinkdragon310

Warrior

Bones:
    Ƀ127.55
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I know this is an old thread, but I've always perceived numbers as having personality and gender (9 is a shy girly girl, or 5 is a sporty boy, etc.) but I never realized not everyone experiences that until I did research earlier this year, I've also always perceived certain months having specific colors too (May is red, July is yellow, etc.) and, as I said, I've mentioned the experience (at least the numbers with personalities one) to my mom once when I was really young, and I'm sure she thought I was just being creative.