Tendinitis

Grey

Doodle Dragon
Administrator
So, I've been experiencing "tennis elbow" for several months now, and within the last 2 weeks I have started to experience tendinitis and possibly early signs of carpel tunnel syndrome in both of my wrists :( Tendinitis is like a tingly pain that can happen in the muscles of your limbs and digits from strain, overuse or other injury. I have started wearing double wrist and thumb braces and it has really helped, until I have to type a lot, such as when I am working on my undergrad research paper for art history. A lot of you know that drawing is my life's blood, and I depend on the health of my wrist and hands to do that.

I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with tendinitis or carpel tunnel and wanted to share their experiences here. I also kind of just wanted to make a thread to say hey, this is whats going on in my life right now (since I feel like my presence here has been pretty spare as of late)

Neve VR52

Vintage Warm
VIP
I have dealt with carpal tunnel most of my life. The braces help tremendously. I would recommend getting in to see a doctor, too. The surgery to correct carpal tunnel is a very easy, simple one that completely fixes the problem. I would have had it done years ago if I could afford it. My uncle did it, and his wrists function like he never had carpal tunnel.

Ibuprofen, or any anti-inflammatory, will greatly help, too. They bring down the inflammation and swelling that causes the tendons of the carpal tunnel to press on the nerves.

A little massage I use is I press into the thick muscle below my thumb on my palm. This gives me temporary relief of the pain and tingling.

Ice! Ice is your friend. Again, cold therapy helps reduce inflammation and swelling.

I hope this helps. My work requires use of my hands, too, and it gets very difficult sometimes. Get well, friend.

- Neve

F

FaerieForged

I have a similar problem with my knees. I have "Derangement Joint and Subluxation of the Patella" which is fancy speak for tendons that are too weak to hold my knees from dislocating; they pop and rub across my joints and get inflamed and painful all the time. So I went to the doctor and he told me about these special straps that are meant to keep that from happening as much (they will occasionally dislocate and still hurt if used for extended time. But it's helped tremendously.

There are the similar ones for Tennis Elbow Nike Pro Combat Tennis/Golf Elbow Band 2.0 Just google "elbow strap" and all kinds of results show up.

I also use heat and ice, and ibuprofen.

tendinitis does not feel good, and the medicine does not always work. what i have found though, is fresh aloe vera helps a lot, and you don't have to reapply every time you wash your hands. from personal experience, this is what i recommend,cut the aloe up put it in the fridge, apply as necessary, keep aloe in jar, if aloe is brown, and water is in bottom of the container, it has gone bad, and will not work as well if at all. good luck

Shezep

Holy Birb
VIP
I think I've figured out that what I thought was tendinitis or carpal tunnel ended up being thoracic outlet syndrome, which is a pinched nerve under the collar bone, often aggravated by slumping forward and being on the computer too much.

Tiger balm helps. Not sleeping on my side helps, but I hate sleeping on my back. I also do the

exercises to stretch out my tendons and shoulders.
Trigger point therapy also helps. It shows you where to massage to get at the referred pain because the part that hurts isn't always the part that's causing the problem.

Amare

Six Wings Of Fluff
VIP
After too many years of raiding in World o Warcraft, my left wrist developed CTS. Was waking up in the morning and being unable to feel my hand for 45 minutes. Had to stop raiding, get a funky curved keyboard, and got a wrist brace to wear at night to keep hand and wrist straight during sleep. That helped a lot. I still have to be careful about over use, and if I use a straight keyboard for more than a few minutes I can feel it becoming aggravated again. Or if I end up doing too much cut-n-paste on a document with a very repetitive ctrl-v usage (which is the left hand's, so meh).

There are some stretches you can do that seem to help somewhat - as for the surgery, it works well for some people but others have reported the problem coming back after a year or so and sometimes worse than before. So I haven't really explored that option.

Hand problems run in my family so I'm bound to get carpal tunnel & arthritis at some point in my life.

I have tendinitis in my shoulder & lately it's been flaring up due to my new work load. Also art projects like sewing really affect it. I just lay off the work for a week.

Grey

Doodle Dragon
Administrator
I'm debating whether or not it would be a good idea to get this checked out at the free clinic at my university. Though the wrist braces are helping a lot. The relief after putting them on when my wrist and hands start to get sore is almost instant, so I'm not sure what that means. My left hand seems like it might have a pinched nerve. I was feeling a little sore and when I attempted to massage it the pain in one particular area was quite sharp.

Vyktoria

Closet Wuff
Tendinitis sucks. When I was in college, I borrowed am gorgeous French Horn from the music department. Sadly, I am small and the horn was bigger than I was used to. TL;DR- I got tendinitis in both hands, and had to get a new instrument. I feel your pain.

Grey

Doodle Dragon
Administrator
Got a diagnosis for my left hand

De Quervain's tenosynovitis - Mayo Clinic

I have De Quervain's tenosynovitis. Quite a mouthful and I cant even pronounce it out loud. I feel like I have dodged a bullet by having it in my left hand only, otherwise it would seriously complicate things with my ability to draw. Still, I'm going to be more careful with my wrists and hands from now on.