The Amazing Atheist? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

The Amazing Atheist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marz, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I'm not sure where this should go so I apologize if this isn't the correct spot.

I often go on tumblr just for silly little gifs and the like, but recently I have begun to just go through the 'otherkin' tag to have a peak. I get curious, it happens.

Recently the community has been freaking out about a video that The Amazing Athiest has made and have;
    1) sent him so many asks, trying to defend themselves, that he has had to close his inbox
    2) effectively gone into hiding and called him horribly ableist when it comes to the subject matter.
    :relievedface: have gotten mad countless times at otherkin, within the site, who point out to everyone why people make fun of the community and that they should not be mad that they have pretty much been called out.

Apparently the whole "think of the children" argument is being flung around, saying that older members MUST help the younger ones defend themselves if they are to be targeted so to speak.

Originally after the first otherkin related video this man has made there wasn't going to be much more about it, however with the way the community has recoiled on itself he has said there will definitely be a follow up.

I'm just wondering what everyone feels about this whole thing. I am still learning about this whole thing myself since literally just this morning is when I found out about the whole thing.

I apologize if this is a mish-mosh, but hopefully those who know about this can understand what I am referencing.

#1 Marz, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.82
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    In the original video he said that he would be doing a follow up where he made fun of specific blogs and specific people. He said that he would not be blocking out usernames, so it's basically him saying to all of his followers or whatever "You see these people? Go harass them". Even though I am not fond of the otherkin "community" on tumblr, harassing people is never okay.

Now the Amazing Atheist is, in my humble opinion, the scum of the earth. I can elaborate on that if need be, but I think that you can probably surmise anything you need to know from his youtube vids if you have the stomach to watch them. That said, I haven't gone out of my way to contact him and harass him, that would be stooping to his level. I have, however, taken the necessary precautions to make sure that I don't get tangled up in all of this. My tumblr blog is hidden, and anyone who tries to visit it is redirected to a "not found" page. I have also blocked him and several of the more pungent pawns who have latched on to this debacle as a godsend. (I have never seen so many Nazis since last time I watched a WW2 documentary).

Now do I think that this "follow up" vid is going to be an issue? No, he will probably only show the troll blogs.
    "Dragonkin eats diamond! What happens next will shock you!"
    "Obama was heard saying that stepping on grass was oppression of plantkin"
    And so on, so forth. It will be a pain in the tail to deal with, granted, and we will probably have this video popping up everywhere for eons. The harassment will hurt, but you can just block as much of it as you can, maybe change some of the html code of your tumblr blog so that you are safe from it.

I am not worried about it too much, although some of the younger users might have a rougher time with it.
    EDIT: I'm just going to leave this here, don't read it if you are unsettled by rape mentions or pedophilia.
    And now I have more reason to dislike him.

#2 Quxyun, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  3. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    The amazing atheist isn't worth the attention he gets, to be honest. He's just some guy with too much time on his hands who thinks his opinions matter.

If the tumblr community wants to tear themselves apart over it, let them. This may sound harsh or whatever, but they are all way too sensitive. If this affects them so much that they abandon their identity, then it either wasn't a real identity, or they are so pitifully thin skinned that I have no idea how they manage to leave their houses in the morning.

Personally, I think allowing the younger members of the community see some of the anti-kin stuff out there is a good thing. It gives them some perspective and teaches them not to take everything personally. If we coddle them the community will never be able to grow in a constructive way.

I also agree that when the community acts in such a horrid manner they are pretty much bringing this onto themselves. Not defending the amazing atheist in any way, but blowing up his inbox is not the way to manage this type of thing. In fact, it's probably giving him exactly what he wants. I haven't seen the video (and have no plans to watch it) so I can't comment on whether the content is ableist or not, but regardless the only way to combat this type of attention is to ignore it. But, the tumblr crowd are either too naive or too thick headed to comprehend. Even us speaking about it here is giving it too much attention than it's worth.

Pretty soon we'll start to see posts on tumblr addressing the people who were upset by the video, telling them to just ignore it or whatever. Even this is giving the video attention, albeit in an indirect way. Attention feeds attention feeds attention, until you're left with a whirlwind of crap.

The interesting thing is, the wider tumblr community already knows that the amazing atheist is a pitiful joke of a man. As soon as they caught wind of him making a video about otherkin, they started joking about how he has way too much time on his hands. I don't know what it is about the otherkin on tumblr that puts them so out of sync with the other communities on there. Maybe it's just the amount of young people in the tumblr otherkin community compared to the ages of the people that I follow (the people I follow are generally between 18 and 30). They're too sheltered. I think a bit of interaction with the other communities on tumblr would do them a world of good.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Crowmonic

Crowmonic Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    I ain't scared of 'em

5. Enby Duck

Enby Duck Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    He's pathetic and I'm extremely paranoid as it is so I really hope so much that he'll only target troll blogs, honestly.
    If he starts targeting minors (which don't get me wrong-- it's bad enough when it happens to adults but us children/teens, we're very vulnerable and naive,) then I really don't know what to do. Seriously, if anything gets out of hand
    I will most certainly delete my blog. I experience enough paranoia without threats, let alone if someone threatens to
    hurt me I will have a breakdown like I have before. Nope. Not going there again.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Marz

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I try to avoid his videos and haven't watched the original myself actually. I've heard so many terrible things about him that I rather not personally watch his stuff... trying to save myself the head ache.

I guess I am worried about the younger members, I always worry about people, but do I feel those who say the older members MUST help them are in the right? Yes and no I guess.

Yes perhaps in the way of helping them figure out how to 'hide' themselves, for those who are less tech savvy.

No for coddling them from the big mean man, no one should be coddled to the extent that tumblr coddles. Life will never coddle you.

I have read the ranting of an 'older' member basically saying that trying to educate the younger members about the decades old community was trying to help them and people just chose not to listen or didn't really care about what the community actually is.
    You did this to us

I agree with this person when they say it isn't their job to protect people on the internet, as well as some other things. It is an open forum and if you make yourself public, receive criticism and can't handle it then you should just leave or take better precautions to hide yourself in the first place. A quick Google search could easily help you with the latter.

7. Quxyun

Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.82
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    Whelp, he did it. He made a follow up video.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Marz

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Oh dear lord. Do I dare watch it? Maybe when I have advil readily available.

• Like Like x 1
  9. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Don't torture yourself :p

(Seriously though, I'm giving it a miss)

10. Quxyun

Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.82
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    I'm taking one for the team. So far he has just gone over some of the hate mail that he has gotten, (which people really shouldn't have sent).
    He then went on to make fun of posts from some otherkin, he basically proved himself to be hypocritical and anthropocentric in his ideals. I dunno how you can be both atheist and that anthropocentric, but sure. He made fun of astral limbs and sensations.
    It was too mindnumbing, I think I may need to take a nap after that... How can one person be so narrow minded? Anywho, it was awful, and I am glad that my blog didn't get mentioned, but 3 of my friend's blogs did, so that's not very good.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Enby Duck

Enby Duck Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Oh dear no. Hope they won't suffer too much and hopefully this will go away as fast as possible. This is
    making me nauseated at it is oooh boy.

12. Marz

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I salute you for your sacrifice!

Isn't he always hypocritical though? Not much of a surprise. The reading of retaliation messages from tumblrkin isn't either...

Well I hope your friends can handle the backlash. Wishing them the best.

13. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Hope it didn't melt your brains too much. Sounds like complete trash, but thanks for introducing me to the word anthropocentric. It's a pretty useful word to know, I think.

Sorry to hear about your friends, hopefully they won't get any of his followers attacking them :(

14. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ52,093.86
    Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    Against my better judgement, I watched the video @Quxyun posted. For someone like me, who's been on the internet and gotten tons of hate already, it wasn't horrible. In fact, I found it laughable. Why? Sure, he may be hypocritical in the video, but that's not why. I think it's laughable because of the idiocy both sides are showing. It really doesn't surprise me, he disagrees with otherkin and will voice his opinions (some of which he treats as if it's the only view that's right), and all of the tumblrkin get angry and offended and voice their opinions (some of which they treat as the only view that's right) right back at him. Many of the tumblrkin are coming at him with hate, and he responds with hate. It's like an argument you would find happening between two elementary kids on the playground, it's that bad. I fully understand and agree why the greater otherkin community is getting angry about this guy, and I think it's downright horrible the things he's saying, but the same can be said for the tumblrkin attacking him back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bothered that the greater otherkin community is getting a bad rap because of this, but I also think it was bound to happen at some point, purely because of the way tumblrkin are. I understand all of the concern for the community and members of it being afraid of backlash and hate mail, but as long as you stay away from tumblr and tumblrkin blogs, you probably have nothing to worry about. My condolences to those who have been effected by the situation, but I also think it's been blown a bit out of proportion because of the way the tumblrkin community reacted to his video. In the end, I can't agree with any of what he's saying, but I also can't really agree with the way the community has reacted to his video. I'm probably gonna get some hate for saying all of that, but I don't really mind it. I felt the need to voice my opinion on the subject matter. What I wrote doesn't fully portray the way I feel about the problem either, because I'm bad with words and such, but it does a good enough job for me.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Is tumblrkin finally over? Are we finally free?

TheAmazingAtheist on Youtube posted his long-awaited video this morning, on "otherkin." What did you all think?

Here it is for those who didn't watch it:

My thoughts:

The entire first 2/3rds of the video is dedicated to the astounding "hate mail" that was sent to him. Which... first of all, how the hell did that happen? Like, where did the thought process, on the tumblrkin side of that, come from??? Seriously, what? I got about 1 1/2 messages into that before I got bored and just flipped through.

Later on, he starts addressing actual posts. The first one is a debate about abuse survivors in the wckin (Warrior Cats fictionkin) "community" - which is, first of all, a perfect example of tumblrkin. The post itself doesn't actually seem that bad? Like, come on TJ, I know you don't want to have your hands in this pit of filth any longer than you need to (trust us, we know...) but could you at least have picked something a little funnier? There's plenty out there.

Then I think later, the non-kin person who tried to speak up for otherkin (misinformed as they were, unfortunately) made it into the video? That just seemed kind of silly, but whatever. A few otherkin ****posts, "that otherkin feel when," etc etc. And then the person who made the "wolves don't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep" post, which I think was actually very well-said. The objective humor in the "what would you say if someone who was sheepkin came up to you" was amusing, but in the end he never really addressed the actual phrase. I'd count that as sort of a win, if there is any winning to be had here.

16. Catwan

Catwan Confused Vampiric Kitten
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ3.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I agreed with a major part of the video. Tumblrkin can be, for a lack of a better word, idiots.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Marshall

Marshall Magical Angry Furball
    FelineHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ5,371.99
    White WingsBlack CatRainbow KitsuneChibi Cat
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :noexpression:
    I agree with a lot of the material. Sometimes I can't take them very seriously, especially when it comes to subjects like "problematic kins".

• Like Like x 2
  18. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I didn't really see a lot to agree with - maybe it's because I missed the ranting and raving over the inbox messages. I just saw observations, which are mostly true (except the perception of tumblr as an otherkin community/THE otherkin community) and plain disbelief.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,081.05
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I have watched his first video on YouTube of him to see what this whole thing was about. In that video he had a opinion and while that is good if he doesn't really believe in this stuff he could at least delivered it in a better way then he did in that video. And his fanbase really make it worse. He said in that video he didn't know really much about the subject and yet he rambled about angelkin and dragonkin don't exist at all. He did also adressed someone that claimed godkin and while that was in some way funny since he don't believe in god and he had a good point on that and pointed that out. But in the end it is Tumblr so what do you expect? Reading the comments of his fanbase was really funny how some pointed out we are delusional and need to quit pretending we are special.

But on the other hand seeing both video's I think it will give some bad image too to the serious otherkin and therians out there. Yes he says that he dont want his fans to harass us and while it is a good thing it is the way he delivered his opinion he could at least did it better in a respectful way. I just get the feeling after this the serious otherkin will be taken less serious. I dont really see this as a winning against Tumblr since the hate mail are coming from there. At some points he is kinda right but he could say it in a different way instead of this way. Yes he doesn't believe this and that is okay but saying that this identity isn't real and spiritual believes are wrong is going to bit too far.

In the end at some points he is right about the Tumblr otherkin but it is also giving serious otherkin a bad image since most will think we are like that and he also bashes really on kintypes in otherkin that feels real to that person and has spiritual believes. He could delivered it in a different way but in the end this is just my opinion on this whole subject. I wouldn't really call it a win against the Tumblr otherkin and therians.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    (Just quoting the summarizing bit, but addressing all of it) Yeah, I definitely agree. It does give us a bad name, which I'm kind of upset about? But at the same time, @Autumn remarked to me, "Witchcraft is only legal because people don't think it exists." My hope is that, after the initial wave of "WOW OTHERKIN ARE STUPID," we're going to fade into obscurity again, we'll be left alone, and we'll be able to re-introduce people to it as a concept, with hopefully more acceptance.

I don't think it's a win in general cetainly, but I do think that because the last poster's comment still rang true even though it was "addressed" in the video, it's a little sparkle of hope, I guess. That was my intention anyway, I don't know if you were just commenting in general or commenting on my "win" comment. :'D