Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

The Day You Heard About Otherkin...

Beepy Data Center

Pronouns
Other
I want to know...
The second you learned about what otherkin is, what was your initial thought/realization about your kin self?

If your awakening did not occur the second you heard about otherkin, what was your initial impression of otherkin, and what were your first thoughts on awakening (and what triggered the awakening)?

For me? Literally all my life I knew I wasn't supposed to be human. It was around when I was 10 or so I admitted to myself my soul wasn't human. And around when I was 12, I knew that I was technology in a human body. In 10th grade, my friend told me about what otherkin is, and I literally instantly knew I was tech kin. It has been a long, long, looooong ongoing journey to find my past lives... my awakening was in 2012, and I did not find a past life until the start of 2020, when I speculated I'm a data center, and then a few months later, speculated I'm also a synthesizer... and frankly? It took me an additional year and half to get any past life memories from my data center life, and I still have none from my Klaus Schulze synth life, so honestly, if you are sure of a kintype, but are like "I don't have any past life memories!" Give it time... it might take you 9 years of soul searching to find them.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
+Primal Member
VIP
Therianthrope
Golden Shield
Pronouns
Masculine
Whilst I have shared this in the past, my exposure to the term came well after my "awakening" - decades later at that - and before as well as after my "reawakening" of sorts. Before in that I knew of the greater community and its many facets and features, having been an adamant critic of it because I questioned myself and having done that, saw the flaws and lies of many, many, many of those who claimed rather really desired the nature of what we call therian or otherkin for themselves. Admittedly I spent near all my time just observing but I was thoroughly vicious in my philosophical reasoning against it when it came up, largely because it could not be scientifically validated - again, I made an egregious error in not knowing enough psychology and thinking of it in modern and post-modernist ways, and that I had rejected all senses of spirituality meaning any explanations there no matter how true were eschewed in my arrogance - and almost all of the individuals I encountered were little more than errant children or extremely dedicated roleplayers, few being legitimate in the end. This gave me an air and a head of confidence but I was of course humbled by the truth in the end, especially when I was cast out of my feigned comfort zone of which had been beaten into me, part of the efforts to condition myself to the expectations of others, having been made to be "normal".

Yet as I established, my experience was a reignition, a reunification with myself, where I broke the chains and bonds - the biting, iron-wrought shackles of humanity I had been cast into by the masses - because the absolute whole of my life was destroyed. I existed in the brink of total annihilation and ultimately, I suffered a death of the ego, rather more precisely the death of the Persona. I had no option but to kill the mask which I had donned and been domesticated into living under to be who and what the world expected to me. If I had not done this, I myself would have physically died, or at least been resigned to a life of complete apathy and disillusionment.

When I traveled down into the dark, down the winding path deeper and deeper still into the Self, I found myself still there. Who and what I always was, always had been, not the lie I had forced myself to live. I knew the life I had lead was a lie all along, that was never a doubt, but what I stared into in my own reflection was everything I had been taught to loathe, to contain, to hide, to bury, to forget. But I could never forget myself, always could I hear myself in the background, chastising me where I erred and where I faltered, so all too often, and how painfully and pathetically human I was. It caused great inner turmoil, always a turbulent psyche. But I had no option but to embrace myself and set myself free. Ages it felt like, a thing beyond ancient became me again, and an overwhelming sense of unity came back.

It had nothing to do with the community or the concept, in fact, it really only embittered "me" to the end, rather the Persona, that the reason I resented them so and was so spiteful is because it was so personal; that they made a mockery of me at my core. I never knew or admitted this, never once wished to accept the Shadow was not only me but my better, but I acted out in such a way that tells me now it is.

So when I at last came back, here of all places no less, it was just a matter of seeing it from this angle. I again do not adopt much, if not all, of the ideals and values of what the whole "otherkin" experience exalt, and I have no love of all the labels and specialized language for it. I am as I am, I can never be anything more than a sabertooth cat, but I know that I can be so much less; I needn't any special identifier beyond that to affirm this to me. My affirmations come from relentlessly pursuing myself and my role in the mystery of life and my nature.

My initial awakening is from youth but that is another story to repeat, perhaps greatly summarized yet again, for another time but there was never a single instance in it I doubted or failed to understand what I am. That only came later by exposure to the human world and its restrictive demands.

In the end, it is the case that I knew who and what I am, hid myself away from myself to appease others, then rediscovered myself when there was nothing left to survive.

Ninetails

Demisexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
This is where I cringe at myself...

I was younger when I found there was a such thing as otherkin. I had always known I was non human, yet, finding there was a community of people like me did not spark in me the way it would with most people.

My first reaction was to think the whole thing was stupid, and then make some new term for myself like "soul shifter" or something. I even went as far as to make jokes about it with my friends. In my defense, however, most of what I saw about otherkin online was from trolls.

Then, I'd suppress my feelings of being non-human. When those feelings finally re surfaced, I found the community again and actually did research on it. At that point I realized I was denying a part of myself, and that, despite my jokes of the subject, was otherkin myself.

Pronouns
Neutral
I've spent a lot of my life on the internet, so it was likely I would have seen it at some point or another. I've known about the term otherkin for a long time but never really understood what it meant until recently. Pretty much the extent of my knowledge was the "On all levels except physical, I am a wolf" quote. Recently I was curious about it, especially because the quote was resonating with me in a way, so I watched a documentary that interviewed the wonderful Naia Okami, which is what introduced me to this site! Which brings me to now, where I've learned a lot about it thanks to the site, and lead me to try and figure out my own identity.

Drakmanka

Genderfluid Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherkin
Pronouns
Other
I awakened long before I heard the term Otherkin or even knew there were other people like me. This led to a lot of self-doubt and fear that I was crazy, as well as feelings of being totally alone in an alien world where no one would ever believe me if I told them what I really am inside.
The first person I met who was also Otherkin was online, and at the time they also didn't know the term Otherkin. We had been friends through DeviantART for about a year(?) when they "came out" officially with a drawing of their other-self and called it their "dragon side". I had to ask the burning question: Is this dragon you? They answered yes. This led to a private discussion between us in which so many of my fears were laid to rest. I was not alone, there were others like me!
Eventually my exploration and search for fellow non-humans led to me meeting some Therians, who taught me about both the terms Therian and Otherkin. I latched onto Otherkin instantly. At last, I felt like I had found my people! At last, I knew I was not alone, not crazy, and wouldn't have to carry this secret inside myself as though it were something to be ashamed of. I could share my truest self with others who would understand. It was wonderful.

Chime

Pronouns
Feminine
I actually learned about otherkin through cringe compilations on YouTube. My little brother and I watch them for laughs. I have to admit that I did find the clips cringe, but I admire people who aren't afraid to show their colors. So, being the very curious person that I was, I wanted to learn exactly what are otherkin. I became interested in the community when I believed that I might have found some people who could understand me. I was hesitant at first to reach out, but curiosity was nagging at me and the possibility of learning more about myself was too strong to resist. At the end I am glad I did. Even though I do not consider myself self kin, but maybe another form of alterhumanity, I have found some peace of mind through this website.

archbun

Otherkin
Plural
Therianthrope
Pronouns
Other
I learned about otherkin through one of my research binges actually lol
Things started to connect after that, I knew I was a bunny as soon as I learned about the community, and through the community I have settled on my true identity and soul
I really am grateful for this website

Beepy Data Center

Pronouns
Other
I actually learned about otherkin through cringe compilations on YouTube. My little brother and I watch them for laughs. I have to admit that I did find the clips cringe, but I admire people who aren't afraid to show their colors. So, being the very curious person that I was, I wanted to learn exactly what are otherkin. I became interested in the community when I believed that I might have found some people who could understand me. I was hesitant at first to reach out, but curiosity was nagging at me and the possibility of learning more about myself was too strong to resist. At the end I am glad I did. Even though I do not consider myself self kin, but maybe another form of alterhumanity, I have found some peace of mind through this website.
I'm going to be honest, when I first saw Naia all dressed up in scene being like "on all levels but physical, I am a wolf" and acting like the human personification of OwO, I thought it was the cringiest attention seeking thing ever and that she probably had some sort of developmental disorder.

I got over that after I started exploring otherkin a second time and realized that it was a genuine expression, not an attention seeking thing... and after I met her, it turns out she's some sort of genius cybersecurity goddess and in no way is she developmentally delayed.

It only goes to show how the media loves portraying otherkin in the most embarassing, demeaning light. I've been denied interviews and I know it's because they know they can't take advantage of me because I'm too smart to be taken advantage of. But in my objectum sexual interviews, they still tried to imply I was autistic even though I specifically insisted that I was screened for autism and most definitely was not autistic. As if autism is a negative trait to begin with.

I've been asked to go on My Strange Addiction when I used to struggle with pica, since the majority of their episodes are about pica, but they're sensationalizing a mental illness without even trying to get the person help or try and stop them... all they do is take advantage of them...

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Golden Shield
Genderfluid Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
I've known that I was "probably not human in a past life" since I was twelve, which was long before I had access to the internet. I didn't come across the word "otherkin" until I was out of college.

I had a moment of "this sounds like me, but what kind am I?" --which lasted about five minutes because I already knew. I'd just been suppressing it for a few years by then.

Buckaruin

Pronouns
Neutral
Honestly, I think I probably learned about it like a solid 7 - 9 years ago. Followed someone on tumblr who was fictionkin. I remember thinking "oh that's pretty rad" and feeling low key jealous. In hindsight, that should've been my first real indicator that I was alterhuman lol.

FoxyAnimations

Shadow Dog
Pronouns
Other
If you want me to get more detailed into my story, I sadly found it through Quadrobics compilations from YouTube, these one's on TikTok. This caused me to "learn" a lot of false information on otherkinity and therianthropy but I was a tiny bit suspicious, decided to do plenty of research and there you go. Over time I gained more knowledge. I was like "oh, I can relate. This is a cool concept."