The Endless Forest | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

The Endless Forest

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by Dark Lord Shine, May 6, 2016.

?

Have you played the Endless Forest?

1. Yes, I love it!

14.3%
  2. I tried, but it's not my thing.

21.4%
  3. I'm not interested/never heard of it.

35.7%
  4. I'd like to check it out.

28.6%
  1. Dark Lord Shine

Dark Lord Shine Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ53.36
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    :winkytongue:
    I'm curious; how many other Kinmunity users play The Endless Forest? If you do, what's your username, character name, and are you interested in playing with me?

The Endless Forest, for anyone who doesn't know, is an online, interactive virtual space for roleplaying. In it, you are a magical spirit deer in a beautiful forest full of other player-controlled spirit deer, and you can interact with these other players through body language, sounds, and magic.

It's not really a "game" in the typical sense of the word, since there are no goals or achievements -- unless you count the spells used to customize your character, which can only be cast on you by other players, thus making social interaction a necessary part of the experience -- and no enemies in sight. However, that doesn't stop it from being an immensely enjoyable program. It can even be set as your computer's screen saver so that it just kind of pops up in the background of your life and doesn't actually require much attention or commitment to enjoy!

Then there's the community forum, where most of the actual storytelling and character-building take place. Basically, the actual program is merely an environment in which to set up the roleplaying taking place in the forum. When you register, you get to make up your screen-name for the forum as well as select from randomly-generated pictogram symbols, which will be your character's "name" in-game. (Each symbol is unique and is shown floating above your deer's head in the forest so you can tell it apart from the rest.)

Anyway, this is a game/experience I highly recommend for anyone who loves fantasy, forests, or magic/fae-related stuff. It's super fun, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the Forest. o3o

Here are some of my screenshots
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 Dark Lord Shine, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ501.29
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    We have an account on The Endless Forest. Well, more accurately, Pantairin who is a cervine cladotherian has an account on there. We made it some years ago and occasionally she or a few others of us will get on there and wander around. We didn't know about the forum and the roleplaying story-line though. I'll have to tell Pantairin so she can look into that.

- Z (male, snowy owl)

3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ76.68
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    I've never had a chance to play this game for myself, but I donated a chunk of money to it once to help keep its servers running when the creators (who I adore and follow/buy pretty much everything they make) said they were facing problems with hosting. I loved the artistic statement behind the concept and the art design as well. And just love indie/art games in general.

I'm relieved to hear it's still running as intended? Is it still active? The forum you linked to looks kind of lonely, but then again, I'm not logged into it or anything, so maybe it's behind a registration wall.

Maybe it's time for me to finally try this out after reading about it nearly a decade ago.

4. Dark Lord Shine

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ53.36
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    I hope you do check it out and have fun roleplaying on the forum. Maybe we can chat on there and roleplay together?

1.) You're awesome; thank you so much for donating to such an awesome game. Tale Of Tales is an excellent company, and I really wish they were more well-known. The Endless Forest is the only one of their games I've actually played, but I've looked at some of their others and wished I had money to spend on them.

2.) It's actually still pretty active, but more so at certain times of the day. If you go into the actual game itself, most of the players you see will be sleeping, but a few are up running around, and I've even seen a few fawns, who I assume are new players, so that's comforting to know. The forum itself is active enough that my posts keep getting hidden by newer ones. lawl

5. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ76.68
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Sadly, Tale of Tales is going to be looking into less commercialized game production (or not bothering with games any longer at all?) from the sounds of it. They're rather vague about what their next step is going to be. This all came about due to their latest/last game, Sunset, not doing as well as they'd hoped. Which is a shame, but I hope they use this opportunity to really stay creative in whatever they do next, since they won't be beholden to a profit margin.

That being said, The Path is always an incredible experience. And I have Vanitas on my phone and use is as a meditation tool. Probably my two favourite out of everything they've produced, but the rest are always wonderful, artful experiences too. (Although I've admittedly never gotten the Full Experience of Bientôt l'été, since no one else ever is playing at the same time I am and probably never will be, whups.)

6. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Wow I never heard of this game before so it is like Second Life?

7. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I've tried this game on and off every now and again, but it never really clicked with me. I think just... because there isn't much to do in it from what I could see. But I really loved looking through the forums and seeing the creativity of the community! There's some beautiful art, poetry, and story-crafting that comes out of the Endless Forest commuity.

Tale of Tales is a company with a lot of imagination, so while it was sad to hear about their setbacks, I'm still excited to see what they come up with next. I'm sure it will be gorgeous and thought-provoking as their other games are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dark Lord Shine

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ53.36
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    No, Second Life is more like a virtual chatroom, I believe. I've never played it myself, but everyone I've talked to about it tells me it's like Whirled and IMVU, which are just all about chatting, and you can have different avatars customized how you want them. The Endless Forest has no chat or any human words at all in-game, and you don't get to customize your own character without the help of other players casting spells on you.

9. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    @Dark Lord Shine now that is clever, induces socialization to make change literal, impressive. I would like it if it wasn't for the faces, they remind me of Japanese Anime forest gods and they creep me out

10. Dark Lord Shine

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ53.36
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    XD Yeah, I think they were inspired by that. I personally like the human-face deer, but I get how it would be creepy to some people. In my opinion, the fawns in the game look creepier than the adults.