The Ground Effect. | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

The Ground Effect.

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Imber, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Imber

Imber Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ7.00
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Until today, I didn't know it had a name, so its strange to have seen it being talked about on TV.

The ground effect is a cussion of air that gets trapped between wings and the ground or more commonly water. I has no drag and sea birds use it to conserve energy.

Here is a link that has a article on the topic
    Ground Effect

I have mentioned on this site perhaps several times of my memories of flying low over an ocean, and I remembered moving faster closer to the water with my wings streached out sort of in a high speed horizontal glide.

I was wondering if any of you other flying kin remember ever using this effect to either enjoy a thrill or conserve energy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.82
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    This does make sense, and I remember something similar. It's simply about proximity to the surface though creating unique airflow, or at least that is what I got from my very quick read of the article. Very interesting.

3. Silver Winter

Silver Winter Burned in Ice, Rises from the Ashes
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ173.81
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    That is really interesting, I didn't know that even existed.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to take advantage of anything like this. My home was mostly mountains and uneven landscapes which would make it hard to fly close to the ground without crashing into things. Also, there were constant winter storms and wind blowing down that could potentially knock me off course if I wasn't constantly propelling myself forward.