The Persona Series, and how it Relates to Otherkinship and Plurality | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

The Persona Series, and how it Relates to Otherkinship and Plurality

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by Zen'akufuni, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    For those who aren't aware of the Persona series, it's actually only one of several subseries of the Megami Tensei multiverse, also known as "Megaten." All of the Megaten games share two things in common: 1) an impending, occurring, or resulting apocalyptic event, and 2) mythological creatures, beings, and deities of various types (e.g. the Therian and Beast races). While most of the Megeten subseries are about summoning these "demons" (a catch-all term used by humans, the English translation of "yokai"), Persona is about drawing out the being(s) within. In the more recent installments, most characters who have "awakened" to their persona only have one, while the main protagonist (who the player controls the majority of the time) has the ability to draw out a countless variety of them (polymorph, anyone?). Persona 4 also deals heavily with shadow selves, an individual's worst traits made manifest as an independent entity.

Some examples of demons/personas include: Inugami, Makami, Pixie, Unicorn, Kirin, Chimera, Basilisk, Wyvern, Minotaur, Angel, Ose, Cerberus, Yatsufusa, Metatron, Hecate, Pazuzu, Anubis, Bastet, Titania, Loki, Nyarlathotep, Baphomet, and even Lucifer. There are countless others, of both the general creature variety and the specific beings and deities.

While the series isn't made to specifically mirror the otherkin/therian and/or plural experiences, I think it does a good job of portraying something similar, and doing it in such a way as to make it positive and relatable. I definitely recommend playing it.

Here are the trailers for the upcoming next installment in the series:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    That sounds interesting, its being added to my list. :p

• Like Like x 3
  3. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    It seems that the last preview video was deleted, possibly due to ATLUS being incredibly protective over the rights to broadcast them. Here is the official video. Sadly, it doesn't contain the English subtitles that the other one did, but it's better than nothing for those who have yet to see it.

Also, for anyone who is a fan of fighting games, you may like this:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Dammit. I keep hearing about the Persona series but every time I heard about it it was completely out of context, and all I got out of it was "There's a guy talking to people." I perpetually felt dumb until this very thread.

Zen'akufuni, you are once again my hero.

5. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    This really made the descision on whether or not I was going to play this game series as soon as I got a chance- and now I absolutely am. This is one of the few games I haven't actually played, mostly just out of being told if was awfully difficult and not looking too much into it.
    These themes are awesome, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy! Thank you so much for sharing your opinions. Now the real question is: Persona 3 or 4?

6. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Aww, shucks. T'weren't nothin'!

The more recent main entries (P3 onward) do involve social interaction as part of the mechanics, but there is also plenty of action and combat, too. It all comes together to create what I think is an amazing story and experience. I hope you'll feel the same way. :3

Hmm, that depends. The two are related, especially if you decide to play the "side" games (P4A/U and PQ, specifically), but it isn't necessary to play them in order.

I'd say that the choice really comes down to what platforms you have access to. If you want to play the definitive, canon versions, you will need a PS Vita. While it's possible to get away with P3FES on PS2/3, and that version does have an epilogue which is missing from P3P, the battle system in the original P3 and P3FES has a steep learning curve. You can only directly control the main protagonist in those, while issuing vague orders to the others, some of which have such poor AI that they become impossible to use (e.g. Mitsuru). They refined it for P4 and P3P, and the latter has an alternate universe/timeline to play, but it is missing the epilogue (which you can always watch on YT). Regarding P4, P4G added a whole lot of content which actually changes what certain things actually mean, so the original game is missing those aspects.

Basically, if you have a PSP or a Vita, I recommend starting with P3P, then FES for just The Answer (if you even want to; watching a LP is honestly faster, as it's kind of a grindfest). Then I'd play P4/G. However, if you only have access to a PS2/3, then I'd recommend P4, unless you really want a challenge. If so, starting with P3FES would be okay.

I do recommend using a guide from the get-go, unless you don't mind playing a second cycle. It's extremely difficult to do and see everything without one, pretty much impossible on a first playthrough. This is true of both games, so keep that in mind. Even with this issue, it is still so worth playing them. The stories are phenomenal and just plain fun to experience.

• Like Like x 2