• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Therian Bullying

Addy-River

I've never been bullied for being otherkin, but I'm not very open about that. A few people know, but I don't talk about it very much. I'm more open with my soulbonding and that has gotten me made fun of a lot in the past. I'm not really a therian cause I'm not a full animal, but I have animal traits. I'm a catgirl. No ones ever made fun of me for it, except maybe one guy who made fun of all otherkin by saying we were all people who believed we could turn into animals. I tried to set him straight, but he wasn't having any of it. Otherkin were ALL delusional and if you weren't delusional you should use the term totemic 

I haven't been bullied for my therianthropy (unless you count the backlash from my family -.- ). The people I've told have been supportive (granted, these were liberal public-school kids), but the kids at my christian school I can tell wouldn't be so fond of it. I've brought up the subject with a few friends and they say the idea makes them uncomfortable and my teacher said it was illogical, so I probably won't be telling anyone at my current school so that I won't get bullied >.<

ashen-forest

The only person I’ve told is my furry friend, and she accepted me. I was pushed around a bit during freshman year when I wore my tail to school, but I told off the main culprit and ended up in a fight. He lost, and I’ve been left alone since. He was the one that broke my tail later on as well. 

Fenris

I've never been bullied for it but I also don't really tell anyone because of the stigma and such attached to it. I'm an artist in the furry community though I feel I don't really fit in due to it as many furries feel that therianthropy is a step too far. I find it difficult to explain to people without it sounding really dumb so I tone it down a lot. The only people who really know are my partner and a handful of close friends. I don't really advertise it, though I used to wear a wolf tail in public when I was a teen. 

I'm hoping to become more open about it now, especially as I've been therian for 20 years I'd like to think that people appreciate that it's not just a phase, lol. 

I've never been bullied for it but I also don't really tell anyone because of the stigma and such attached to it. I'm an artist in the furry community though I feel I don't really fit in due to it as many furries feel that therianthropy is a step too far. I find it difficult to explain to people without it sounding really dumb so I tone it down a lot. The only people who really know are my partner and a handful of close friends. I don't really advertise it, though I used to wear a wolf tail in public when I was a teen. 

I'm hoping to become more open about it now, especially as I've been therian for 20 years I'd like to think that people appreciate that it's not just a phase, lol. 
I get bullied a lot. I have been in 2 fights since I have been there and because of mental shifting, I have bitten a Year 10 and accidentally scratching a Year 7 because I though he was on the bullies' side.

I have been bullied all my life. My barking and howling has been made fun of, I once wore my tail to school and it got stolen but I got it back, 2 fights have happened to me. 1 with an annoying girl called Tanya, and another with a girl called Olivia. With Olivia, I had mental shifted and scratched the left side of her face going down to her neck.

I hope it gets better soon. 

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
I’ve never been bullied for being a Therian, and I wasn’t actually sure if you meant that before clicking in here, or being bullied in the community. Cuz I definitely have, but also I’m not gonna air old history lol.

Igel

I've never been bullied for being therian or otherkin.  I've been bullied for almost everything else, though, and it all left me with a lovely case of social anxiety disorder.

Addy-River

I started being more open about being otherkin and a soulbonder, soulbonding more so than otherkin. Making my blog here public was one of the things I did to become more open about it. I'm terrified of being made fun of or being the target of trolls, but so far nothing bad has happened. I became open about it on the dating site I met my bf on, I'm semi open about it on Reddit. I don't go around announcing it, but I openly post in the plural subreddit and anyone can see my posts and comments.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
I have never been bullied per se for being what I am but that is because I have never announced it. I have, however, when I was much, much younger, been the subject of bullying because I simply could not realistically fake being normal. I tried relentlessly, as much as I could, to be like everyone else and just do what they do. That always failed and I would be attacked for failing that because they could tell it was not real. I fought a great amount with my bullies and was always blamed by the education system for defending myself when they would try to literally push me around. This was decades ago but I never forgot what a broken system it was that I could be punished for standing up to or just beating up the bullies, who thought because I was a failure like that wouldn't actually fight back or aim to hurt them. It worked wonders, I had a bully each grade or so, and they stopped once we had an actual fight.

But being what I am and professing my beliefs without ever stating outright that I fall into what people consider "otherkin", really therianism? Different kinds of bullying still exist, primarily from people who don't believe anything at all. They tend to be pretty disparaging in that I believe something and of course, on the internet, treat the idea of otherkin as a meme - despite my never saying anything about it - and try to use it as a weapon against me. I have been called all manner of things, many of which have been wildly inaccurate, and it is pretty clear it is just from those who have an issue with me personally and with anyone who believes anything at all. Which is sort of ironic when these are the same people who are really into intersectionality and believe in gender theory among other things.

Rune

I get a lot of grief from my mum, stepdad and brother for my therianthropy. If they're not making jokes about it, they tell me it's just creativity.

my mumma and my classmates treat me and my interests like a lame joke and it makes me sad
This can feel a tad worse sometimes, where even though the people around you at least aren't being outwardly antagonistic, you can tell from the way they treat you that not only do they not understand, but kind of just want you to 'knock it off.' And so they're just constantly uncomfortable to be around, as they occasionally stare or make passive-aggressive comments.

When I was younger I made myself a collar out of what was originally a headband, and wore it most days during high school. I'm actually surprised I didn't get bullied more for it, even after I strung a chain through it and had a dog tag hanging off the chain. I was basically 'the kid who wore a collar and made animal sounds sometimes.' And most people didn't mind. I had a pretty chill high school now that I think about it, I got really lucky. 

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
I was bullied quite a lot as a child, at the age of 9-12 maybe. That was before I realized I was a dragon - supposedly for behaving differently and being socially inadept. When I learned about my identity later, I shut my mouth and kept every related activity a close secret. I knew that people wouldn't accept. Today I feel I should've picked a fight with the bullies more often. I've lost a great deal of my initial shyness and would definitely pick more fights today.