'Therian/Otherkin' cults and how to find them. | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

'Therian/Otherkin' cults and how to find them.

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Amaris Matris, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Amaris Matris

100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ252.69
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Hello to you, the person who is reading this!

I've heard of these sorts of cults that target Therians and Otherkin and that they are a problem when they become dangerous (forcing members to cut off communication with the outside world etc.). I'm not a very spiritual or religious person and I believe the things that I can see and are proven using the scientific method so these organisations would probably never target me.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask the people of Kinmunity for perhaps to start making a small list of identified dangerous cults. Possibly also include tips on how to recognise a dangerous cult.

By the way, I have a very broad definition of 'cults'. I believe a cult to be a group or organisation that reveres or worships their founding members or ancestors. Cults have a entrap doctrine or idea that they teach and try to instill in new members. There is almost always a tithes or payment that you need to do to continue being a part of this cult. I do realise that this means that most religions and political parties are classified as cults under my definition and I want to stress that I don't think that cults by themselves are bad things,they become bad when they become dangerous to their members.

A dangerous cult is a cult that starts to try and cut off communication between the cult members and the outside world, it becomes extremely hard to leave because of possible repurcussions (such as physical harm or social defamation). Anything to do with extortion is dangerous and things like that.

2. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,080.90
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Really those people who lead them are mostly really dangerous deluded. But I never come across a cult that comes here to well do cult things whatever their goal is. Also really to identify what member may be a member of a cult is difficult. They would know how to come across normal and not to act like they are in a cult in order to keep things silent. But I think a good sign is when they keep talking about something in a strange way. Or they reach out in PM to you and speak in a weird way that you would normally not expect from a average forum member. But in public it would be very hard to know who is a cult member. Cults make themselves for the large part not visible and stay in the shadows only communicating with fellow cult members.

Maybe a another sign would be that they would ask for something and in return would give you something like for example that they ensure you will reach a good place but in return you have to give money. But that is a bit less reliable since people who are not cult members can also claim that.

Point is as long they dont really target us I think there is no need to worry about them coming here. Fear is what dangerous cults seek in order to establish themselves as a powerful organization. But since they keep mostly to themselves it is hard to tell names or who maybe members or a cult since they would act as we do out in public. Unless someone was in a cult and knows how to reconize them it will be hard to know where to look. Unless they PM you and start to talk weird that isnt like a troll but more like a religious thing that would be a first indicator to report. They will keep it in private so others wont find out and alarm them.

3. Amaris Matris

100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ252.69
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Nm
    Thanks a lot for this! I have been wondering if a dangerous cult had even a small presence on this forum and, if what you say is true, then there probably isn't one.

I've been hearing things (quite vague things mind you) about something called the 'Therian Temple' as they are called. The things seem to indicate some adverse feelings towards the 'Therian Temple' as some people seem to think it is a dangerous cult.

I was wondering if I could get some insight into this thing and if I should research more into it because responses aren't so black and white.

4. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,080.90
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Yeah Therian Temple really describes Otherkin as a religious thing. But Otherkinity is not something religious or something. It is nothing more then a identity. I did came across their website once. I believe they also had a sort of book that they followed like a Bible is for Christians. While they are not really a cult well not dangerous they see otherkinity as a religious thing. I havent heard of any of their members really being dangerous and doing things what dangerous cult would do but they can be best avoided since they are not the best representation of what otherkin is. But indeed there are mixed feelings towards the site I do know.

I do not think they are a dangerous cult since they seem to keep mostly to themselves and not really forcing anyone to follow them or worship whoever started the site. Negativity can cause however rumors that most likely are not really true to paint them in a bad light as you see with artists today. Hate can do a lot of things so it is advised to not believe everything you see on the internet unless there is prove they are a dangerous cult.

Anywhere however can be cult members. Online and offline. Since site rules states preaching isnt allowed they would not do it public here if there are any here but as far I can see there are not. But if people suspect they are approached by a cult member it is best to report it to bring it to the attention of staff since we cant really look into PM's unless it is needed. Trying to recruit members to join their cult is something that goes against site rules.

#4 Oxalaia, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  5. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,807.13
    Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    The closest thing I've seen to a cult is the Therian Temple, which died out years ago. Aside from that, some "packs" can be very cultish. The only one that comes to mind is the Everwood Pack, but I'm sure there are others since a lot of human made "packs" are just a way to lord power over others.

6. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ88.42
    Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I haven't personally come across any otherkin-related cults myself yet (although there are numerous places I jokingly call cult-like). But I always have my eye out for suspicious activities or groups that raise my wariness. I'm relieved there hasn't been anything like that around, I can only imagine the drama that would ensue from such a group.

I will say I've met several individuals in my time in the community who I would class as spreading and promoting dangerous beliefs and ideas (especially people trying to lure impressionable newcomers to believe in physical shifting), but nothing to the level of a cult and the majority of the time people see sense before becoming involved with them.

7. MirceaKitsune

Bones:
    Ƀ36.21
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    I'm not personally a fan of the idea of cults in general. That said, if a cult centered around worshiping beautiful furries (in the species sense, not the community sense) existed, that would be something hard to say no to :)

8. Shezep

Shezep Hatchling
    VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ435.37
    Silver VIP - Six Month Subscription
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    I haven't run into any cults exactly, but there have been a few individuals who latch on to people with that old tale of knowing them in a past life, and then proceed to spin more and more webs to ensnare those who will listen to them. That's why this kincall thing they do on tumblr is a horribly bad idea. I've learned that if I see a group of otherkin whose UPG matches up a little too well, then it's a red flag. It may not always involve abusive relationships, but it often does. Even when it doesn't, that indicates to me that they're doing more groupthink than individual reflection.

9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.56
    Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I second Seraphyna. Therian Temple was the closest thing to an actual cult involving therianthropy. There are -tons- of packs that operate in a similar way to a destructive cult. Everwood Pack and the Crimson Blood Wolf Pack are two to avoid, although the latter may now be defunct.

10. xXUpRawrXx

xXUpRawrXx Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ189.33
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    According to the CPWB facebook page (which I looked at once because I find them entertaining), it's been defunct. for a while, although I know old friends of Wolfie Blackheart who say he (yes, he) is still alive but not around.
    My opinion has been said and elaborated on several times by other people and I see no point in repeating what has already been said. I came here just to offer a little bit of information.