Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Therian/otherkin safe kibble ideas

Coy Boy

Pronouns
Masculine
In my process of shifting I find myself hungry for dog food (Especially shifting into a border collie). So here are some body safe kibble ideas so you can enjoy a snack while shifted:
- Dry cereal, This is easy on the stomach, sweet and sometimes healthy depending on the brand, shaped like bio animal food in some cases
- Sesame snaps, I used to eat these as a kid and they always reminded me of animal kibble, tastes savoury, crunchy, healthy
- small chopped up cooked meat, this is good for carnivorous therians who crave meat, small chopped up pieces of bacon, chicken, beef or fish could work well
- candy mixed with pudding, meant to simulate wet food, less healthy but a good treat, customise-able to your preference of flavors
- beef/bacon bits, crunchy snack, savoury meat treats, slightly healthy

These are just some suggestions, feel free to add on to this i'd love to hear some other ideas.
Also I'm super new so if you find these ideas inappropriate feel free to let me know and I'll remove it.

Uaeoh

Banned
Pronouns
Masculine
You can eat any dog food, it won't kill you. You just don't want to make a habit of because your human body can't live on such things. Personally go for the higher priced stuff to avoid ground up feathers and hooves. Wolves which are the ancestors of domestic dogs eat organ meats since nutrients are stored there. You should ideally consume organ meats while in your dog form. While human, you may want to eat more greens to avoid gout or limit your time as your kin self.

I have learned that pet food as a whole is made from less then wholesome parts that are called 'meat byproducts', which is meats and parts that aren't legal to feed to humans. Dog food I would avoid, I would visit Chinatown for the organ meats that the Alpha fights so hard to claim. There are benefits to eating these meats but do so with the fact you live in a human body that isn't designed to eat these meats daily and organ meats can cause gout. I had gout a couple times until I found out it was liver and onions that was causing it. Pork Heart is pretty good, though I don't know how to prepare it. I had it from a Philippino hot table restaurant.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Community Manager
VIP
Crow
Therianthrope
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
You can eat any dog food, it won't kill you. You just don't want to make a habit of because your human body can't live on such things. Personally go for the higher priced stuff to avoid ground up feathers and hooves. Wolves which are the ancestors of domestic dogs eat organ meats since nutrients are stored there. You should ideally consume organ meats while in your dog form. While human, you may want to eat more greens to avoid gout or limit your time as your kin self.

I have learned that pet food as a whole is made from less then wholesome parts that are called 'meat byproducts', which is meats and parts that aren't legal to feed to humans. Dog food I would avoid, I would visit Chinatown for the organ meats that the Alpha fights so hard to claim. There are benefits to eating these meats but do so with the fact you live in a human body that isn't designed to eat these meats daily and organ meats can cause gout. I had gout a couple times until I found out it was liver and onions that was causing it. Pork Heart is pretty good, though I don't know how to prepare it. I had it from a Philippino hot table restaurant.
I still wouldn't recommend eating dog food anyway.

syveti

Pronouns
Neutral
Immediately I thought of Scooby Snacks. A bit cliche, yeah, but safe for humans and also dog-treat shaped! Jerky also comes to mind- sort of like those fancy dog treats you can find in pet stores. I see no harm in gnawing on bones as long as they're properly cleaned? You'd probably have to watch out for tooth damage and accidentally creating, like, a bone shank though.

Also, I imagine that if you can find a dog treat or kibble shaped mold, you could do tons of stuff. There's lots of recipes for homemade dog treats online that are usually human safe, as they use household ingredients and are fairly simple to make.

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Genderfluid Pride
Pronouns
Kibble doesn't really do anything for me, although I did sample it as a kid. But corn nuts came to mind when thinking of this post. I also remember thinking that the crunchy shoestring potatoes in a can taste like dog food, not the same shape though.

Coy Boy

Pronouns
Masculine
I agree, by the sounds of it, it's not safe for your stomach at all. The point of this post in the first place was to create stomach safe alternatives, so yeah agreed; Don't eat bio dog food, it's meant for their stomachs which can digest things like rocks and glass without a problem.

starclaw

Pronouns
Feminine
Agreed,, just stick to alternatives made for the human stomach (the examples stated in this post are very good imo). You risk getting serious health problems otherwise. Dogs have very different stomachs to the human stomach.

Finna Alsvartr

Wolf-Mermaid-Demon Thing
Therianthrope
Plural
Pansexual Pride
Pronouns
Other
This is more for wild dog breeds and other canids, some humans feed their dogs raw meat. Now, don't go eating raw meat because that is very bad for your stomach, but a good juicy steak i've found is great for my wolf shifts.

Coy Boy

Pronouns
Masculine
This is more for wild dog breeds and other canids, some humans feed their dogs raw meat. Now, don't go eating raw meat because that is very bad for your stomach, but a good juicy steak i've found is great for my wolf shifts.
Yeah, steak or meat that requires some time to chew or yank at with your teeth is very satisfying and puts my mind into a good canid headspace pretty quickly. Beef jerky is really nice because it's portable and it can be preserved longer so you can keep it around for a snack if you're not somewhere where an oven is readily available.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Community Manager
VIP
Crow
Therianthrope
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
Yeah, steak or meat that requires some time to chew or yank at with your teeth is very satisfying and puts my mind into a good canid headspace pretty quickly. Beef jerky is really nice because it's portable and it can be preserved longer so you can keep it around for a snack if you're not somewhere where an oven is readily available.
If you hate chewing (or have a bad jaw that tires out quickly or hurts when chewing too much) but want something moderately chewy, turkey jerky is my go-to. Really good beef jerky isn't TOO bad, but turkey jerky is more often softer so you don't wind up chewing for five years.

Coy Boy

Pronouns
Masculine
If you hate chewing (or have a bad jaw that tires out quickly or hurts when chewing too much) but want something moderately chewy, turkey jerky is my go-to. Really good beef jerky isn't TOO bad, but turkey jerky is more often softer so you don't wind up chewing for five years.
That's really good advice, it's probably easier on the stomach too since red meat is harder to digest.

unshod_dog

Pronouns
Masculine
Eating pet food won't do anything bad for human body since it still is, you know... food. maybe eating it every single day will make you feel worse but only because the diet is ballanced for the *pet species' name* body and not for your. But sometimes is pretty ok, so if you do it indoors it's not even a problem.
But for a public places, yeah, I agree.
If you allow me to make an addition, you can also give thin hunter sausages a look. They look like some of dogs' snaks people use in training or as simlpe treats.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Community Manager
VIP
Crow
Therianthrope
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
Okay guys, I’m gonna come in here and just say: please let’s not encourage people to eat food not fit for human consumption. CAN you eat pet food and not die? Yes. SHOULD you eat pet food though? Definitely not.

The original point of this thread was to find human-safe equivalents, so please keep it on-topic. I will be hiding posts if we can’t do that. Thank you.

moby

Otherkin
Pronouns
Neutral
as a catkin, there’s plenty of meaty equivalents to pet food in a human diet, and I especially like to replicate an actual-meat diet that’s slowly becoming more and more popular to cat owners.

usually, when I make these dishes for myself, I am safe to replicate it exactly (asides from cooking any meat because..yknow. humans can’t really eat raw meat.). I actually follow a lot of people on social media and also quite a few youtube channels that specialize in making these dishes, so I find that their recipes really help for species-affirming food. given that I’m not actually the size of a housecat, though, I usually increase the portion size and eat other, different meals just to make sure I’m still getting all the nutrients I need for a balanced diet. affirming my kintype is great, but staying healthy is important as well! you don’t need to sacrifice your health to affirm your kintype in every way - just do what you know you can handle and always know that your kintype is valid and real, no matter how much you’re able to show it.

another thing to keep in mind for any carnivorous kintypes is that sashimi is a great way to get the experience of eating raw meat without any of the risk. you just need to make sure it’s well-cured and sushi-grade meat and you’re fine.

that’s about it for me, though! hope this helps!

Kara

Shadow Dog
Pronouns
Neutral
I've tried dog food a few times as a kid, it's disgusting. Please don't eat dog food lol.

I swear there was some type of molasses cookie that looked just like kibble, my mom's friend made it for us once and it looked JUST like kibble, in little small ball shapes, and was just as crunchy and satisfying to eat! I wish I could remember the name, it was amazing. I think it was something you're traditionally supposed to put in coffee or hot chocolate? But of course I just ate it dry lol. No regrets. It's sweet but if you're looking for that cronch, that cookie is probably a good idea. If someone know what it's called, please remind me!

Puppy chow- the chex mix chocolate peanut butter thing covered in powdered sugar. I guess it's called different things in different places but I grew up calling it puppy chow. It's crunchy and delicious but mostly, I just like that I can tell people "I'm eating puppy chow" LOL

You can make any type of cookie in the shape of dog biscuits like bones or even shape them like kibble I think. You can actually make dog food yourself from scratch- healthier for your pet, and if it's made with the right ingredients, you might be able to eat it too! Though I'm not sure I'd recommend this because it probably wouldn't be very tasty lol. If you're making food for yourself, add a lot of seasoning!

This is more along the lines of wet canned food but- canned beans. There's something so nostalgic (I grew up with lots of dogs) and euphoric about opening a can of refried beans especially, though other beans can work too. The other day I opened a can to make burritos and dog brain instantly brrrrrr

Basically anything that comes in a can is pretty great. I used to eat vienna sausages as a kid, they could be kinda doglike, usually come in a can and almost have that dog food-ish smell. On a similar note; hotdogs/sausages in general I personally associate with dogs. They're not really good to feed to dogs often but if we ever had a dog who was nervous or sick or something, they'd usually eat sausages.

For vegans/vegetarians there are a lot of decent meat replacements. I try not to eat them too often (they're not much better for the environment than actual meat) but mine and Rou's fav is the hickory smoked flavor of Primal Spirit jerky. It nearly has the same chewy/stringy texture and tastes incredible. Best thing about jerky is that you can order a lot of jerky online!

Personally I like eating popcorn without my hands sometimes lol. Easy to pick up pieces with my tongue or just use my mouth. And I love the crunch.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Community Manager
VIP
Crow
Therianthrope
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
Puppy chow- the chex mix chocolate peanut butter thing covered in powdered sugar. I guess it's called different things in different places but I grew up calling it puppy chow. It's crunchy and delicious but mostly, I just like that I can tell people "I'm eating puppy chow" LOL
I've always wanted to try these but never had em LOL. Can't really make em right now though on my diet. But I'm used them being called muddy buddies.

Finna Alsvartr

Wolf-Mermaid-Demon Thing
Therianthrope
Plural
Pansexual Pride
Pronouns
Other
I swear there was some type of molasses cookie that looked just like kibble, my mom's friend made it for us once and it looked JUST like kibble, in little small ball shapes, and was just as crunchy and satisfying to eat! I wish I could remember the name, it was amazing. I think it was something you're traditionally supposed to put in coffee or hot chocolate? But of course I just ate it dry lol. No regrets. It's sweet but if you're looking for that cronch, that cookie is probably a good idea. If someone know what it's called, please remind me!
My uncle makes something that sounds similar and sends us a bag every Christmas. We literally call it "dog food." It's a spice cookie kind of thing, very heavy on the anise, and oh so good. My dad and I love the shit out of that stuff. Just found out that they're called Pfeffernusse (fef-fer-news-seh) cookies (Pfeffernusse Cookies).