Thoughts on Windows 10? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Raijun, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I would like to hear everyones' thoughts on the new Windows 10 operating system. I personally have little experience with it. Actually, to be honest, 90% of my entire experience has been getting Win10 computers out of an infinite boot loop or repairing driver errors that came with an upgrade from 7 or 8.1. One person had a constantly flashing screen after they logged in. Apparently the fix for that was to stop the Windows Error Reporting service. How weird is that?

But then I hear a tale (albeit on a risque website) on Disclose.tv about how Microsoft might be forcing people to upgrade if they're able. I really hope it's not true, but regardless of the possibility, I did just acquire the fanmade (If that's even the word for it) tool to remove the GWX (Get Windows X(10)) process once and for all. Seems to be fine so far.

I just feel like 10 is very intrusive. I don't know enough about it to know how easy (or possible) it is to make the operating system yours like how Windows 7 is currently my metaphorical technological waifu, as it were, but if we might be forced to upgrade at some point, I'm going to do whatever I need to do to stick with 7.

Microsoft has made claims that 10 will be their "last" operating system. The only thing that will come afterwards are updates. 10 is being described as an ongoing "service" rather than a last step operating system. Sorry for the abundance of quotation marks, but that's how I roll.

2. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Windows 10 definitely isn't for everyone. But for a college student such as myself, it's pretty much the most organized you'd ever find yourself to be. I enjoy the Windows menu. Every app you'd need is right there, and if not, you can just add it. Sure, the first five days were a bit confusing-- especially trying to figure out why my touchpad wasn't responding (fixed with a driver update) and trying to find some of my downloaded games I had before upgrading.. But after some meddling, I got into the groove. (I think I'm the only person who really enjoys the "Search web and Windows" bar thing at the bottom left corner, super useful when I don't feel like digging for a specific app/document.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I was one of those poor sods made to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I must say, I'm not terribly impressed. I spent the first day reinstalling all of my drivers, despite them being the exact same drivers that were already on the computer. Windows 10 refuses to acknowledge that I have headphones plugged in, forcing me to manually switch the settings between "speakers" and TV (I use an HDTV as my monitor) any time I wish to share a video with my family. My brother continues to have issues with audio on my laptop that was also forced to switch, causing the audio to suddenly not work, only to come back abruptly after we'd tried everything, but with no clear reason as to why it came back. I don't have an XBone, so that link is useless. Cortana seems rather useless when I have Google at my fingertips. Worst of all, I have had some serious lag issues since the upgrade. I used to be able to run three high-end games at once with full graphics if that's what I chose to do, but now it chokes just loading YouTube or even a simple web page. That is especially unacceptable. Oh, and it's constantly closing programs randomly if I'm typing in them. Word, Chrome, doesn't matter. I'll be typing, then poof. All my work will have been for nothing. It was so bad that I had to stop and save my work after every sentence just to be safe. It hasn't done it as much anymore, but it does still happen, especially when I'm typing at length.

Edit: Oh! And it forced me to switch to using my Microsoft account to log in, which I hate. I hate my log in screen displaying my email, and I don't like using a password for my PC that anyone who cracks their way into my Microsoft account has access to.

My verdict: give me back my Windows 7.

4. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,048.73
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    My experience with windows 10 isn't horrible. While windows 10 isn't the best, I don't see it as any worse than windows 7. I had some issues with drivers after I upgraded, but I expected those, having worked with computers for years now. A few things I didn't expect, though, chrome stopped working completely and I had to switch to firefox. Not a big issue, since I like firefox anyways, but an issue nonetheless. A second thing being high memory and CPU usage by the system (literally, the process is just called 'System' in task manager. Creative). I tend to leave my computer on at all times, and after about a week of uptime, I'll be forced to restart because the 'System' resource usage slowly rises to nearly 100% throughout that week. Last thing I feel I should mention is stutter. I'll be using my computer like normal, and out of nowhere everything will stutter. Videos will lag, audio will get jittery, and I won't be able to do anything. It lasts about 5 seconds, then it's gone. I want to think it's a GPU issue, which it could be but I'm too lazy to diagnose it, but I'm fairly sure it's windows 10, since it began after my upgrade.
    Other than these few, minor issues, windows 10 has been treating me well. Cortana was lame and I had to disable that, changed a few privacy settings (as previous users have stated, it's quite intrusive), as well as remove Groove Music (terribly slow app), but that's about the worst of my experience. Then again, I have a $2,500 computer, I would hope it works well (never does though, I always lose the silicon lottery :mad:)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I really hated Windows 10. It was very intrusive, and also refused to let anything load for me. It refused to load any new webpages minus google.com, and would spent 10-40 minutes doing whatever it was doing with a website before letting it load. Or, it would load a new webpage, but lock scrolling to prevent me from looking through it. If I tried to upload something, a picture per say, it wouldn't let me upload anything until it properly assessed what I was doing; which could take ages. I downgraded back to 8 (I know, I know) as soon as I learned I could.

6. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I've had generally good experiences with it. I like the new Start menu, and it seems to integrate apps much better. It also is much more friendly with the Mac OS variants. However, with that said, I find that it's basically trying to do what OS X has been doing for a little while now. Having an iMac, Macbook, iPhone, and iPad, I find that everything syncs perfectly between them all, so it's a pretty seamless experience. After converting to Apple several years back, I just never wanted to go back to Windows. My Win10 machine is basically a massive gaming rig. Considering that it's possible to stream from it to my iMac, I see little reason to even use it directly, unless I just happen to be in that room at the time (iMac monitors are a wonderful and beauteous thing to behold).

So, bottom line: I find Windows 10 to be nice, as well as an improvement over previous versions, but it isn't innovative enough to lure me away from OS X.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Alistair

Alistair -Elf Noises-
    Elder VIP

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ10,735.22
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Since I went from a Windows XP operating system that I had been using for almost 4 years to Windows 8 (For barely a month before Windows 10 came out). It was very confusing for me to get. Windows 8 was a little bit easier for me to get since my family members had bought new laptops that had Windows 8 on it and since I'm the only one around that knows how to jack with computers enough to make it do the correct things, I had to get comfortable with it quickly. But ever since I've updated to Windows 10, it wasn't that bad. But the second I found out about them recording almost everything I did, I went into my settings and shut everything down. I'm already very uneasy with just using Location Services on my iPhone, just finding out about this new change and how they were pretty much tracking everything I did- made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

But after that, it hasn't been too bad. I have this error message that pops up every time I start my computer and it does not go away even after clicking "Ok" to try and get it to go away. It has been doing this ever since I got Windows 10.

Screenshot of it below.
    [​IMG]

8. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ358.37
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I've had the system for a while and I'm quite satisfied, there's never been any problems but it's ridiculous how many things you need to disable only to keep your privacy, I don't wish for my information to be sent anywhere, I want it to stay in my computer, had to watch a youtube video of how to disable it all.
    I like the design in general and I love the start meny but they shouldn't have put all the annoying square things on it, all the mini windows with stupid stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I currently have Windows 10 installed on one of my test machines, and from a usability perspective it is much friendlier than Windows 8. The interface is nice and clean, and I’ve honestly found myself enjoying using it, although I admit my use of any Windows operating system has been rather slim lately. It is NOT an improvement from Windows 7 and I would definitely recommend for Windows 7 users to hold out as long as they possibly can before upgrading because of the stability issues it can bring, especially on older computers. Windows 10 is really intrusive and anti-user. especially considering it forces Windows Updates and essentially gives Microsoft more control over your machine than it gives you, which I consider to “evil”. If you’re stuck on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and really hate the interface, upgrading to 10 may be worthwhile. In almost all other cases, it’s not. At all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    It's fine for me. I've never had any issues.

11. Rock Light

Rock Light Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.15
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I remember I had used Windows XP for like,all my life using computers,and I had to switch to 8 when they stopped supporting it. For me at least,it was a pretty drastic change. I'll probably switch over to 10 when I'm able to though,just to see.

12. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ74.70
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    My experience downgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 wasn't good:
    • Boot time increased - at least - 30% on SSD, while doubled with HDD;
    • I got bugs related with DLLs, when my code worked just fine in Windows 7, 8.1, and XP;
    • It took me 14 hours to install it on my tablet (and see that Windows 8.1 was better);
    • CPU usage is higher than in Windows 8.1 while idle. Battery life decreased from 6 hours to 3 and a half hours;
    • Some old games I play did stop working - some partially (no sound), some completely;
    • I had to download drivers from unknown sources of the internet (manufacturer did not release a driver pack for Windows 10);
    • Overclocking tools stopped working. My processor is: i7-4790.
      • Then I did restore Windows 8.1 in all my computers.

13. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    It's posts like this that make me wish there was an empathy emoticon. Hits me right in the feels, it does. So sorry you had issues.

14. Obsydian

Obsydian Pallas Cat
    Feline

Chibi Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ31.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I haven't had any troubles with 10 and I upgraded my laptop from 7. You learn to use it and customize it pretty quick

15. Telegdrian

Telegdrian Alien Equitaur
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ5.35
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    I tried to upgrade my windows 8.1 hard drive to windows 10 and it failed. I put back my Ubuntu hard drive and everything works just fine. I just have windows on my old desktop machine for programs that need to be on windows.

16. Jaysa

Jaysa Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Well, I find it much better than 8. I hated the Start screen that popped up randomly.

17. deleted

deleted Guest

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Windows 10 isn't all that great, but it is still better than any other OS other than Linux. I had no problem installing, I just had to clear my drive and reinstall so it wouldn't be so slow. The only really great thing is DirectX 12, which allows more performance in games with the same settings on different cores. Only if you have certain GPUs though.

I like it because Cortana calls me The Dragon Overlord.

18. NabiHime

NabiHime Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.41
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    I switched from 7 to 10 a little while back now, and so far I haven't spotted any major issues, except some drivers problems regarding my tablet and cs6--I'm still waiting for an upgrade or something or the sort so it can be fixed; it was I had that same problems on 7 that I was able to fix at the time.

10 is much more lighter on my PC now, considering all the programs--oh, sorry, "Apps" now--that I use, and how I just haven't upgraded my PC hardware wise for years now, so that's something I really appreciate. I really like the interface (it's definitely easier to use than 8)...I just don't appreciate that programs--Apps, damn, keep forgetting-- tend to crash on me on a daily use. I hope they keep upgrading and fixing stuff. D:

19. snowy

snowy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.98
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Windows 10 was a turning point for me. I am very concerned by some of the paths that modern computing is taking. It seems that more and more companies are moving to the software as service model, and Windows 10 seems to take steps in that direction. User control is severely limited, you are no longer able to choose when you update, Cortana is essentially corporate spyware, everything said is sent and stored by Microsoft etc.

Windows 10 basically is a nerfed operating experience. Microsoft doesn't trust you to operate your own system, or make your own choices, and very slowly they are walling off the garden to the detriment of the user and to software innovation. I ended up abandoning Windows after looking at the security and agency nightmare of 10 and went to Linux Mint. I've been an off and on user of linux for 15 years but the rapidity in which the software world is changing encouraged me to adopt it fully.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    @snowy The update thing on Windows 10 is really annoying, I agree. It doesn't even warn you before it's like 'lol time to spontaneously turn off your computer'. It doesn't have to bring back the popup where you can keep putting it off a day or so, but the little 15-minute warning thing would be much more appreciated and makes so much more sense to have so people can, you know, actually save their work or bookmark important tabs in the middle of a research paper for school. (luckily, I had saved my word document before leaving for class, and all of my tabs were easily recovered with the restore last session button, but the momentary heart-attack of horror still remains.)

• Like Like x 2