Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Time to tell your a therian

RowanWolf

A wolf in human's clothing
Staff member
Guardian
Crow
Non-Binary Pride
Bisexual Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherhearted
Genderfluid Pride
Otherkin
Therianthrope
They/Them
That's very dependent upon your situation. If you feel that they'll react okay, then I'd say whenever you feel sure that you're ready. Even if they take it well, they're probably going to ask a lot of questions. (Probably anything from "what's a therian" to "why do you think you're a [whatever kintypes you tell them about]?" They may also ask things like why you "decided" to do/be this or if they did something wrong to cause this.) I'd suggest waiting until you feel at least relatively confident answering those, even if the answer is "I'm still figuring it out." You know your family, so think about what they're likely to do or ask when presented with that information and make sure you feel prepared and confident enough (even if you're still nervous) to handle that.

You don't  have to tell them, either. I never told my family and have no intention of ever doing so. Granted, my case is a little different in that I was 18 and out of the house before I ever came across the concept of therianthropy. But if you feel that it poses a risk to your safety or your ability to just live your life, then I would caution against it. By the same token, if they're likely to be supportive or at least neutral about it, then I'd say go for it. Again, you know your family. Just make sure you aren't putting yourself at risk. If you feel like you  have to tell them, but are afraid it will go badly - like dangerous or detrimental bad - you always have the option of waiting until you're out of the house. I know that probably seems like it's forever away, but trust me, it's not. You'll be surprised, once you hit that point, how fast it went. But basically, I'd say wait until you're sure you're not putting your physical or mental well-being at risk and that you're confident enough to handle their potential questions and comments. If that's now, go for it. If that's not for another 4~5 years, that's fine. If that's never, that's okay, too. Do what's best for you.

Unpredictable_Day

VIP
Aromantic Pride
Conceptkin
Thief's Toolbox
Shark
Gay Pride
Barghest
Bisexual Pride
Shadow Dog
Other Pronouns (see sig)
I came out to my mother as fictionkin. Just know, you don't have to. I took a lot of time to write down her certain behaviors to determine whether or not she'd accept. I explained aspects of the otherkin community so she understands well and you have to make sure you explained everything very well.

YourLocalWolfAndFox

They/Them
That's very dependent upon your situation. If you feel that they'll react okay, then I'd say whenever you feel sure that you're ready. Even if they take it well, they're probably going to ask a lot of questions. (Probably anything from "what's a therian" to "why do you think you're a [whatever kintypes you tell them about]?" They may also ask things like why you "decided" to do/be this or if they did something wrong to cause this.) I'd suggest waiting until you feel at least relatively confident answering those, even if the answer is "I'm still figuring it out." You know your family, so think about what they're likely to do or ask when presented with that information and make sure you feel prepared and confident enough (even if you're still nervous) to handle that.

You don't  have to tell them, either. I never told my family and have no intention of ever doing so. Granted, my case is a little different in that I was 18 and out of the house before I ever came across the concept of therianthropy. But if you feel that it poses a risk to your safety or your ability to just live your life, then I would caution against it. By the same token, if they're likely to be supportive or at least neutral about it, then I'd say go for it. Again, you know your family. Just make sure you aren't putting yourself at risk. If you feel like you  have to tell them, but are afraid it will go badly - like dangerous or detrimental bad - you always have the option of waiting until you're out of the house. I know that probably seems like it's forever away, but trust me, it's not. You'll be surprised, once you hit that point, how fast it went. But basically, I'd say wait until you're sure you're not putting your physical or mental well-being at risk and that you're confident enough to handle their potential questions and comments. If that's now, go for it. If that's not for another 4~5 years, that's fine. If that's never, that's okay, too. Do what's best for you.
Thank you. My family isn't really accepting of new things. My mom even hates when I call myself a furry because of the stigma around the Fandom. My mom doesn't even know I'm a lesbian and non binary. She only knows that I am ace, and it's not just because of me not feeling that attraction. Its also because of trauma, plus and I don't feel like it is time yet. And like you said, I don't have to tell her I'm a therian. Again, thank you.
Post automatically merged:

I came out to my mother as fictionkin. Just know, you don't have to. I took a lot of time to write down her certain behaviors to determine whether or not she'd accept. I explained aspects of the otherkin community so she understands well and you have to make sure you explained everything very well.
Thank you so much.

snepnat

She/Her
I'm scared to tell my family that I am a therian, when is a good time to tell them?
I'm a bit late, but my perspective is you really don't have to tell anyone! However if you really want to, it'd be best to wait for a day when everyone is in a good mood and a topic similar to your therianthropy comes up. Example: you're watching a wolf documentary in the living room with family, once its over you ask how it was, and then slowly bring up your therianthropy.

Cartoon Cat

Bisexual Pride
Stream Key
Fictionkin
He/Him
Thank you. My family isn't really accepting of new things. My mom even hates when I call myself a furry because of the stigma around the Fandom. My mom doesn't even know I'm a lesbian and non binary. She only knows that I am ace, and it's not just because of me not feeling that attraction. Its also because of trauma, plus and I don't feel like it is time yet. And like you said, I don't have to tell her I'm a therian. Again, thank you.

Thank you so much.
Correct if I'm wrong but I thought the term lesbian applied to females. While everyone else uses the term gay to describe their sexuality
Edit: I mean this mostly as a question

Cartoon Cat

Bisexual Pride
Stream Key
Fictionkin
He/Him
Gotcha. Also my personal experience is a bit rocky. My parents thought this was, "weird thing of the week" for me. Admittedly I'm a weird guy but, they started thinking all otherkin we're bad because I trusted some bad people who were otherkin. Those bad people lied about me trying to ruin my life by making false allegations against me for disagreeing with the notion that "all men men are
rapey
"

I got falsely banned from that discord server because the mods just assumed this female individual (I refuse to call her a lady because, lady is the female equivalent of gentleman)was telling the truth. I still have screenshots of the whole convo

YourLocalWolfAndFox

They/Them
Gotcha. Also my personal experience is a bit rocky. My parents thought this was, "weird thing of the week" for me. Admittedly I'm a
Gotcha. Also my personal experience is a bit rocky. My parents thought this was, "weird thing of the week" for me. Admittedly I'm a weird guy but, they started thinking all otherkin we're bad because I trusted some bad people who were otherkin. Those bad people lied about me trying to ruin my life by making false allegations against me for disagreeing with the notion that "all men men are
rapey
"

I got falsely banned from that discord server because the mods just assumed this female individual (I refuse to call her a lady because, lady is the female equivalent of gentleman)was telling the truth. I still have screenshots of the whole convo
I feel really bad for you, people can be bad

I would not like to see the screenshots because I may get triggered.

Cartoon Cat

Bisexual Pride
Stream Key
Fictionkin
He/Him

I would not like to see the screenshots because I may get triggered.
I don't blame you. I don't want to look at them either. Because let's be honest this is what my experience with otherkin started as. I take screenshots of most of my online conversations should anyone else attempt to hurt me

YourLocalWolfAndFox

They/Them
I don't blame you. I don't want to look at them either. Because let's be honest this is what my experience with otherkin started as. I take screenshots of most of my online conversations should anyone else attempt to hurt me
Not everyone is bad, I learned that from my Nana. Your a good person and they are just horrible people from

Trigger

Hell. Crawled out of the pits of hell.

I'm sorry for saying that.

YourLocalWolfAndFox

They/Them
I'd tell those people to go back from whence they came but, that would be unfair to bendy
Yeah, Bendy is a great guy. Saw him yesterday!

And is it wierd, but I really want to do some ship art of us.

And is it wierd, but I really want to do some ship art of us.
Me and Bendy that it.

Cartoon Cat

Bisexual Pride
Stream Key
Fictionkin
He/Him
Oh! I didn't know, I'm sorry Bendy!
I'm sure he's fine.

I must confess 2 things tho: 1)I find blacklists on words to be a dumb concept. I mean if I can't say "lime" without getting banned I'm clearly in a nightmare of over offended nutjobs

2) while I respect them, I find trigger warnings stupid as there's been studies proving they don't help