TimelordVictorious ໒( ͡ᵔ ▾ ͡ᵔ )७
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    From what I now understand, daemons (as in daemonism daemons) are some kind of thoughtforms, so I thought I’d join this group and introduce my daemon and our experiences with daemonism, learn about other people's experiences with thoughtforms in general...

My daemon is Vale. I read Philip Pullman’s books in primary school. I was hooked on the idea of daemons, so I basically created one. Back then, my daemon was male, because I didn’t know I was transgender, and in the books, girls had boy daemons. When I came out as transgender, for about a year my daemon stayed male, and I eventually realized I was trying to get her to stay the same, but I had changed so much myself and it wasn’t fair to let her stuck in the past. So we found her a new name, she had to find a new voice and to get used to it, etc. I think we grew closer because of that. In a way we rediscovered each other. That’s about the time when we found the daemian community online. Didn’t stay long. Too much focus on being able to perfectly see/touch your daemon with details and everything, and some people were sad and guilty when they couldn’t do it. I don't really understand that. My daemon exists even when I’m not looking at her or when I’m not thinking about her. We don’t feel like we have to pay attention to each other 24/7. Vale also isn’t interested in settling and that’s a big part of the daemian community. I’m curious, and personally, I’d like to find her settled form, but she’s not and she doesn’t want to. She doesn’t like form finding in general. Still, I’m glad we found the daemian community. We learned about other people and how they see their daemons and about how daemons can work into our world, not only the fictional world of the books.

I can’t talk for daemians in general, but for me, I consider that Vale is a part of my psyche. Or my soul, but I’m not sure I believe in those. Let’s just say that if souls are a thing, then Vale’s a part of it. We’re the same person, but two different aspects of the same person, if that makes sense. We disagree on things, we don’t always see them the same way, we don’t feel the same way about things all the time… When I feel something but my daemon doesn’t feel the same way, or when I think something and she disagrees, you could say part of me feels or thinks differently. It’s just that I can talk to that part of me and it helps me know myself better and make better decisions. We feel what the other feels. I don’t need her to tell me when she’s happy or concerned, I just know it, and same with her. I think that’s why we disagree, but we never fight. For me, a daemon is someone who’ll always be by my side, who knows every single thing about me and loves me all the same, a guarantee that no matter what happens in this life, we are never truly alone because we have each other. Sappy, I know, but still.

For the moment Vale’s not gonna be talking here. I think it’s because of the books in a way, but we’re not comfortable with daemons in general just casually talking to other people. She’s kind of anti-social, too, but that might be because she doesn’t have much practice talking to people. Or maybe that says something about the way I’m mostly private about my personal life. Eventually we could try on a thread where our thoughtforms could talk to each other without us getting in the way, I guess? But for now, that’s gonna be all. If you have questions about or for Vale I’ll be glad to answer them or to give you her two cents on it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Welcome Timelord and Vale, what an interesting story that was. I wasn't aware that the daemian community also looked to seeing and feeling their daemons, so I learnt something new here.

3. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Yeah, we call it "projection". Because you project the image of your daemon from your mind. I remember when I was on the forums, people shared some tips for seeing their daemons better, or for touching them, smelling them, hearing them, etc. For me it's great to be able to see my daemon, pet her and all. I just don't think it's the end of the world if I can't see every detail of her. Some people also created a kind of headspace to meet with their daemons, like a visualization meditation. Eventually, projecting your daemon becomes natural, but it's not so easy at first for everyone. Hence the exercises.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ3,377.89
    Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Welcome, it's interesting to hear about your experiences. :)

Me and Tor have never been able to project the way many people describe doing with their daemons. We have our own way of doing it I suppose, but having aphantasia I can't visualise or imagine touch/sound/scent at all. We're also not interested in the personality typing/settling which seems so important in the community, which is likely why we keep drifting away from TDF as it seems such a big thing there.

5. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Yeah, I get you for the settling part. I think about 3/4 of the activity on TDF was about settling, analyses and RAs. If you don't mind, what's aphantasia and how do you communicate with Tor if you can't see or hear him? I'm just curious.

6. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ3,377.89
    Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Yeah, we drift back to TDF now and then but tend to get bored as there's not much general talk or discussions going on.

Aphantasia is likely a neurological condition that causes the inability to consciously visualise (and usually affects the other senses as well). There's not too much known about what causes it or how it works just yet, since even though it's been known about for a long time it's only been actively researched and named since last year.

Tor can send me thoughts, emotions and concepts. I kind of have a mindvoice but it's not really so much a voice as just words without a sound... I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. But basically I know what he says without hearing it in my head. Likely the same way I know what a tree looks like without visualising it in my head.
    In a study using a functional MRI scientists found that while areas of the brain used for visualising don't activate like normal, areas used for visual recall are normal. That matches up with my experiences; I somehow just know how things should look or sound without actually being able to see or hear them in my mind.

It means he can't have a 'voice' distinctive from my own thoughts but I generally know it's him because along with the words I get descriptions, actions, emotions and feelings and kind of a general sense of how he should sound.
    If you've ever done forum RP that's basically how we communicate. Taking turns to send a bunch of words that describe what we're doing, saying, feeling, etc. generally accompanied by some sense of emotion.

I'm sorry if that didn't make any sense.

#6 Velvet Wings, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    That made sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to give me such a detailed response.