Weird beliefs you used to have

Kerguelen

There's one I wanted to share, but thought it would make a nice thread. I don't believe in this stuff anymore, not really. That's the point of the thread.

A lot of the people in my family who died did so in February. So of course, when I found out about this when I was about 6 years old, I thought there was something supernatural about February. Specifically, I believed that February was a month of punishment and judgement.

Stars were holes in the sky through which your deceased family members watched you. Not watch over you, just watch you.

If you wished hard enough for something, it would happen, but not in the way you wanted it to.

Most people could actually read each other's minds to a limited extent. Except you. Because you suck.

If you did not treat inanimate objects with a certain level of respect and care, they would curse you. If you kept treating them badly, you would become the object that you had treated the worst, except you still want to move and do all of the things you would normally do, but now you can't because you're an object.

Items in your house had to be arranged a certain way. Don't ask me why, they had to.

If you share an interest with someone, don't tell them. It's an insult to them and their interest.

I still have thew hole "If you wished hard enough for something, it would happen, but not in the way you wanted it to" belief.

I can't remember any weird beliefs off the top of my head that I no longer believe. There are still several that I know logically are ridiculous, but still believe them on a certain level:

The world ends at night and may - or may not be - born again in the morning.

Going to sleep is temporary death and you may - or may not - be given life again.

Everything in my life is a dream. There is no real.

I am currently living in a flashback before terrible tragedy took away everything I love. (This is a new one as of two months ago).

The Universe is intentionally out to get me. If something good happens, it does that just to make it all more painful when it rips things away again.

There are a lot more, but I feel that's depressing enough. XD

Hatch

Well dang, Im at the right thread.

I always had this belief that I had a twin taken away from me at birth, and that once I turned 15 we'd find eachother (because twins are magic) and we'd be happy forever

I used to think that I was the only true person in the world and other people only existed when I looked at them. Like, if I looked away from someone, they ceased to exist but when I saw them again they were real again.

Neve VR52

Vintage Warm
VIP
As a kid, I had some pretty strange beliefs.

I believed that the human heart was shaped like a standard Valentine's-Day-heart, and that when someone told me that "Jesus lives in your heart," that there was an actual little dude that lived in that heart shape in my chest.

I believed that dust bunnies were little benevolent spirits that lived under the couch and in the TV wires. I was genuinely sad when my mom cleaned them up. Thank you, My Neighbor, Totoro.

I believed that the Milky Way was this place where magic space cows lounged around and drank milk all day. If I recall correctly, this started with a cartoon I saw with that very premise.

Yes, I did once believe the moon was actually made of cheese.

I had a tendency to believe everything I saw in cartoons could have been real.

I once believed that I had Wittgenstein from "The Brave Little Toaster To the Rescue" as a kintype.

When I was little I thought the toaster was full of little people and a dragon. The little people would poke the dragon with sticks to get it angry and then it would toast the bread. When it was done, the little people would use pogo sticks to push the bread up

Kavitar

Well, when I was a little kid, I used to believe that I was the only person who could actually think. I believed that everyone else just did things because it was somewhat programed into their DNA or something, and that I was the only one who actually had my own mind.

gingin

I did not realize thinking was a real thing and thought i was going crazy because "there are voices in my head" (turns out i was just thinking)

I seriously love this thread.

So one that I still struggle with is the idea that someone is watching me from my bathroom mirrors. Not in a creepy way or a scary way. More like they're evaluating me for something, and I keep acting ridiculous and getting embarrassed.

When I was younger, I used to freak out much like gingin that what if I was the only person that was actually sentient? Suppose everyone else just did things and I was the only self-aware human? Still an interesting theory. :p

I used to have a Tulpa as a kid (before I knew the term) named Jessica. In fact, I had a whole planet of Tulpas, about the size of a basketball, that followed me around about six inches away from the small of my back. I was an imaginative kid.

Let's see... I thought that a "budget" was a kind of weird soup with okra in it. I believed that I could talk to spiders and that they liked me even though I was terrified of them. I thought my grandma's cat was actually a human who was watching and judging me severely, and I thought that my toy horses came to live at night possessed by demons. I think those are most of 'em.

[PLURALSYS=color_hue=38;Pi]You forgot about aggressively gendering cars.[/PLURALSYS]

Oh, yeah. Big cars (minivans and the like) were girl cars, and smaller cars were boy cars. Probably because moms drove the first and dads drove the latter to work. But it infuriated me as a kid because I wanted to ship cars (before I knew what shipping was) but it was ridiculous to think that a girl could be bigger than her boy! *insert much sarcasm* Oh well. I grew out of it.

[QUOTE="Neve VR52]As a kid, I had some pretty strange beliefs.
I believed that the human heart was shaped like a standard Valentine's-Day-heart, and that when someone told me that "Jesus lives in your heart," that there was an actual little dude that lived in that heart shape in my chest.

I believed that dust bunnies were little benevolent spirits that lived under the couch and in the TV wires. I was genuinely sad when my mom cleaned them up. Thank you, My Neighbor, Totoro.

I believed that the Milky Way was this place where magic space cows lounged around and drank milk all day. If I recall correctly, this started with a cartoon I saw with that very premise.

Yes, I did once believe the moon was actually made of cheese.

I had a tendency to believe everything I saw in cartoons could have been real.

I once believed that I had Wittgenstein from "The Brave Little Toaster To the Rescue" as a kintype.
[/QUOTE]i thought that too! that the heart was a heart shape!

Kerguelen

Not so much a belief in the sense I originally meant it, but I used to think the word "dalliance" was "alliance with a d." Pronounced just like alliance, but with a d sound. And had the exact same meaning as alliance, but this one has a d for some reason.

when i was 2-6 my dad always would point to my shoulder blades and say " that's where you're angel wings were when you were in heaven. now you're here with us"

for a long time i believed i had wings and it made me sad that they were gone. i would look in the mirror and look at my back for hours thinking about them.

ironically its not heaven i'm from but down stairs.. LOL

I'll jump on the heart being heart-shaped

Also I used to think that there was someone in my bathtub, like a murderer or a creep, whenever I went to use the bathroom, so I would pull back the shower curtains and check every time

Megalov8nia said:
I used to think that I was the only true person in the world and other people only existed when I looked at them. Like, if I looked away from someone, they ceased to exist but when I saw them again they were real again.
What. Me too. Except my version was that Everyone Else was controlled by an outside entity, while I was the only other one to exist, like some epic anime-style duality.

There's some cool philosophy behind the idea. Like, how do you really know that there is anything outside of self? I ended up growing into the whole 'Everything is one thing, the one thing is all' so I don't worry about the squishy logistics of existence anymore.

Too many "wish gone wrong" movies have convinced me that if I throw a coin in a fountain or wish on a star but wish for something for myself, I'll end up being taught a lesson about being selfish, so... I just wish for happiness for other people.

I believed that I could train my dog to come to me whenever I sang a princessy tune, but I have yet to make that a reality. XP

When I was little some other jerk of a kid told me cacti could shoot their needles at people. And I lived in Arizona so they were EVERYWHERE. So that was interesting.

I didn't have many but thankfully, I didn't have internet from 2007 up until 2010. Here's why:

1. I legitimately thought I was a werecat and could shapeshift if I tried hard enough. I have this written in an old journal. I thought this because my friend claimed to be a werewolf/vampire hybrid and bit me and somehow, I ended up a werecat which makes no sense.
  2. I thought I had an invisible vampire boyfriend during that time (he "broke up with me" when I finally got internet; I had essentially made a tulpa and killed him at that moment).

i thought old people wanted to drain me of my youth or switch bodies and i'd end up shriveled up and they'd have either my youth or body altogether

i'd have to scratch it off or scrub the area i bumped with hot water and soap asap

It is so funny, I love this post so much and always think about it in my daily life. So while I have already commented long ago, I NEED to share another one I so constantly think of.

I used to believe for SOME REASON that when you fill up a car you HAD to keep the doors closed because the gas ran through the car through the very inside of the exterior. So, if one where to open the door, the gas being pumped in would rush out and more certainly explode or leak! I was so convinced of this I had a panic attack one day when my dad came in prematurely to get something inside of the car and it wasn't until then that I realized I had been so wrong about it. Boy did that nearly give me a heart attack at the time lol

Kerguelen

I used to be terrified of vacuums, drains, and blow dryers because I thought they could and would suck me in.

I also was terrified of gas stations because I thought "one static shock and this whole station goes up in flames"

(no one is hurt it's okay)

puppyresidue

A Small Doggo
VIP
I used to think Krumm from the show "Aaahh! Real Monsters" was real, and that the sound of my pulse in my ear when I rested my head against my pillow every night was him coming down the hallway to get me.