Weirdest Things in Space | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Weirdest Things in Space

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Silver Winter, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Silver Winter

Silver Winter Burned in Ice, Rises from the Ashes
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ173.81
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    So I'll start off by saying that I have never taken a class in astronomy or cosmology, and do not plan to enter the field. I simply have an out of control passion for space and the weirdest things that we know about it.

I thought it would be cool for all other space lovers to share and read about some of the unbelievable, mind blowing, and strangest things about the cosmos.

2. Paniczoure

Paniczoure The White-Furred Artist
    Staff Member Guardian

Bright PhilterTransparent PhilterVanishing PhilterSilver Otherkin HeptagramSilver Theta DeltaWuffy
    Bones:
    Ƀ131.19
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :)
    This is amazing!

3. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    There is this one galaxy that, at it's center, it tastes vaguely like raspberries and smells like rum. This article goes more in depth about it, but basically we have found Ethyl Formate at the center of Sagittarius B2. Ethyl Formate is the chemical responsible for the taste of raspberries, and it also happens to smell like rum. Don't ever think about eating it though, because they also found Propyl Cyanide, and as you can imagine that would not be good to ingest. Apparently the entire reason that we even have this information is because we are looking for amino acids, which are vital molecules for life, (or so we so far think. All life on earth follows this, but that may not apply to all life everywhere).

4. Silver Winter

Silver Winter Burned in Ice, Rises from the Ashes
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ173.81
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    Oh yeah, I've read about that! It's in Sagittarius I believe.

I also read about an area of space called the Bootes Void. It's a region of about 250 million lightyears containing about 60 galaxies, when there should be hundreds of thousands. No one knows why it's there, but many scientists speculate that it was created by a class 3 Kardashev civilization, meaning that this particular society has the ability to harness energy on a galactic scale, causing galaxies in the void to go dark and be impossible to see with out tools.

5. coffeebear

coffeebear Hatchling

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ0.17
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    What LIGO's Second Gravitational Wave Discovery Means For Science, finally confirmed. Essentially, it means that the distance between your eyeballs changes because the curvature of space-time ripples with the gravity waves, but they're so minuscule, you never notice it.

LIGO, mentioned in the article, detects the gravitational waves by measuring that change in distance with reflected laser beams over a distance of 2.44 miles x 2 (there and back again). Freaky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    @coffeebear
    Oh yeah! I heard about this! If I am correct, this technically allows for "time travel" to the future. Well, not really time travel, but rather being able to visit two events that occur simultaneously over large distances. It does this by basically "bending" space, or rather shortening the distance between two points. This was also one of the major parts of Einstein's General Relativity if I am not mistaken.