Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an alterhuman community serving otherkin, the furry fandom, fictionkin, therians, vampires, coping links, plural systems, and the other-hearted. We provide our users with a wide variety of features, such as: forums, media center, articles library, user blogs, social groups, live chat, and more!

Curious? Come join us today!

What Am I?

Marc

Wiping the slate clean. Taking a step back to reevaluate how I feel.

I feel like I don't shift and I am in a constant state of just 'being' but different things can trigger my traits to be more exagerated.
I regularly feel massive claws and four limbs. I thrive in the cold and despise the heat. A strong draw to Alaska and even the Arctic.
I feel heavy but I don't know sizing? Very powerful teeth.

What species' come to mind?

Marc

Wiping the slate clean. Taking a step back to reevaluate how I feel.

I feel like I don't shift and I am in a constant state of just 'being' but different things can trigger my traits to be more exagerated.
I regularly feel massive claws and four limbs. I thrive in the cold and despise the heat. A strong draw to Alaska and even the Arctic.
I feel heavy but I don't know sizing? Very powerful teeth.

What species' come to mind?

See. Whenever I feel I am detaching from being a Vulture - I feel like this. I feel somewhat guilty because Turkey Vultures are such an integral part of me and I don't want to let them go.

Marc

"I'm definitely getting polar bear vibes from this, as they do live in Alaska, have huge claws and four legs. Their teeth are so powerful they can crush a seal's skull, so that checks that box as well." - SilverHeart on Therian Guide

That's true!
Looking into it as their snouts / teeth and build - I can somewhat connect with them.
I absolutely love swimming it is definitely very important to me. More than average. Protectiveness as well - to the extreme, if needed.

Last edited:

Marc

"My initial thought was polar bear, but also saber-toothed cat for the strong teeth shifts. However, just as a word of caution, don't put too much stock into the answers you get here as 1. they may be putting ideas into your head and 2. no one can tell you what you are. "
- Elinox on Therian Guide

Noted!
Thank You.

I've thought about Saber-toothed cat's as well but never really looked into the different types.
I wish I knew my size during shifts - it might make things easier. It's hard for me to scale since I am usually alone visualizing myself among miles of ice / snow and tree's.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
Seeing as there is a fairly obvious connection here, I can only really speak for signs that seems somewhat obvious among sabertooth cats.

The polar bear connection seems fairly solid to begin looking into, and failing that, that of the many various types of brown bear. The majority of us are extremely familiar to the grizzly bear yet there are several subspecies of it that lean one way or another, with the largest amount of them appearing in notoriously cold environments - boreal forests, taiga, and tundra. This should also be understood as although cold, most habitats are not continuously cold, seasons and variations do exist aside from the obvious in that the closer one comes to the Arctic Circle the less pronounced those are. Ursids in general are also relatively similar to one another, so this comes into my preceding statement at the start of the response.

Felids, notably, have highly dexterous, sheathed claws and the claws themselves are not nearly as comparatively large as that of an ursid's in relation to the rest of their mass. So this provides two clues, in that if one does not feel they can really control them, say, believe they can manipulate them by contracting their muscles - even just conceptually - or articulate them very well, there is inkling that this may not be a cat at all. Next is the level of control in each digit, not just the ability to utilize retractile claws, but to how much mobility exists in the joints. There is also a last detail that might sound strange yet is, in a way, exceedingly obvious; imagining and feeling the digits, note what arrangement they feel like they are in. If they feel as though they are similar to human ones with a "thumb", that is a sign toward feline nature, as cats have five front digits, the most inner of which is the analog to the thumb; ursids do not have this, all toes are effectively aligned side by side.

A further area of investigation is comparing what one feels in their human body of hands and feet to their quadrupedal one, notably if a difference exists in the hindfeet from the forefeet. Felids have near identical forepaws and hindpaws, again, bears differ with having more narrow forepaws, and most importantly, their hindfeet are actually plantigrade feet like a human. If the arch of the foot on to the heel feels elevated and elongated, rather than flat to the surface as with a human, it likely has little in common with a bear. A simple example would be to compare how one's limbs feel in proportion to that of various anatomies of animals that one suspects.

Now that we have covered the first half, the second half is a bit more simple yet easily just as detailed in its own respect. One of the most overt, telling traits of any sabertooth cat - or scimitar cat, just any Machairodontine cat - is of course the teeth, but the teeth have a distinctive shape and feel. They extend well beyond the gum line, which is a helpful detail to compare to, but moreover the telling part here is the sense of disproportionate scale. Reasonably the teeth will feel larger than they should for a human yet the real question is, do they feel too large for the animal one is experiencing as part of themselves? Exaggerated, almost comical? Another similar task to review is the level of jaw mobility on an axis. All sabertooth cats have extremely large jaw gapes, which allows their teeth to clear on down to prey, because without it, the teeth would be in the way, blocking the mouth. So a good experiment is to feel just how extreme the jaw gape can become, which goes as far as 128* degrees in gape in sabertooths at the most extreme, which is leagues removed from both bears and humans.

A similar important detail to try to focus in on is the dental arrangement and formula in cats versus ursids, comparing the differences in sabertooth cats - likely Smilodon members as those are the most plentiful and working backward - to bears. Felids have notably more cutting surface area to their teeth and the inability to actually chew food - carnassial teeth are shearing teeth, not grinding, and ursids have more flat carnassial teeth by comparison because of their obviously omnivorous diet.

So far as mass goes, a bear reasonably would be more lumbering, if at the very least because of the inverse rake of their body which features two distinct "humps"; the first at the shoulders, thanks to the sizable scapula, then at the hips due to the large flaring ilium of the pelvis. The other reason for this would be that the hind legs are plantigrade, like that of a human. All felids have a more distinct slope that begins from the first vertebra on down; which also leads into tail length, even sabertooth cats who have notoriously short tails have a longer tail than any extant species of bear.

Hopefully this information can help you in your review of trying to find who you are, @Marc.

Marc

Seeing as there is a fairly obvious connection here, I can only really speak for signs that seems somewhat obvious among sabertooth cats.

The polar bear connection seems fairly solid to begin looking into, and failing that, that of the many various types of brown bear. The majority of us are extremely familiar to the grizzly bear yet there are several subspecies of it that lean one way or another, with the largest amount of them appearing in notoriously cold environments - boreal forests, taiga, and tundra. This should also be understood as although cold, most habitats are not continuously cold, seasons and variations do exist aside from the obvious in that the closer one comes to the Arctic Circle the less pronounced those are. Ursids in general are also relatively similar to one another, so this comes into my preceding statement at the start of the response.

Felids, notably, have highly dexterous, sheathed claws and the claws themselves are not nearly as comparatively large as that of an ursid's in relation to the rest of their mass. So this provides two clues, in that if one does not feel they can really control them, say, believe they can manipulate them by contracting their muscles - even just conceptually - or articulate them very well, there is inkling that this may not be a cat at all. Next is the level of control in each digit, not just the ability to utilize retractile claws, but to how much mobility exists in the joints. There is also a last detail that might sound strange yet is, in a way, exceedingly obvious; imagining and feeling the digits, note what arrangement they feel like they are in. If they feel as though they are similar to human ones with a "thumb", that is a sign toward feline nature, as cats have five front digits, the most inner of which is the analog to the thumb; ursids do not have this, all toes are effectively aligned side by side.

A further area of investigation is comparing what one feels in their human body of hands and feet to their quadrupedal one, notably if a difference exists in the hindfeet from the forefeet. Felids have near identical forepaws and hindpaws, again, bears differ with having more narrow forepaws, and most importantly, their hindfeet are actually plantigrade feet like a human. If the arch of the foot on to the heel feels elevated and elongated, rather than flat to the surface as with a human, it likely has little in common with a bear. A simple example would be to compare how one's limbs feel in proportion to that of various anatomies of animals that one suspects.

Now that we have covered the first half, the second half is a bit more simple yet easily just as detailed in its own respect. One of the most overt, telling traits of any sabertooth cat - or scimitar cat, just any Machairodontine cat - is of course the teeth, but the teeth have a distinctive shape and feel. They extend well beyond the gum line, which is a helpful detail to compare to, but moreover the telling part here is the sense of disproportionate scale. Reasonably the teeth will feel larger than they should for a human yet the real question is, do they feel too large for the animal one is experiencing as part of themselves? Exaggerated, almost comical? Another similar task to review is the level of jaw mobility on an axis. All sabertooth cats have extremely large jaw gapes, which allows their teeth to clear on down to prey, because without it, the teeth would be in the way, blocking the mouth. So a good experiment is to feel just how extreme the jaw gape can become, which goes as far as 128* degrees in gape in sabertooths at the most extreme, which is leagues removed from both bears and humans.

A similar important detail to try to focus in on is the dental arrangement and formula in cats versus ursids, comparing the differences in sabertooth cats - likely Smilodon members as those are the most plentiful and working backward - to bears. Felids have notably more cutting surface area to their teeth and the inability to actually chew food - carnassial teeth are shearing teeth, not grinding, and ursids have more flat carnassial teeth by comparison because of their obviously omnivorous diet.

So far as mass goes, a bear reasonably would be more lumbering, if at the very least because of the inverse rake of their body which features two distinct "humps"; the first at the shoulders, thanks to the sizable scapula, then at the hips due to the large flaring ilium of the pelvis. The other reason for this would be that the hind legs are plantigrade, like that of a human. All felids have a more distinct slope that begins from the first vertebra on down; which also leads into tail length, even sabertooth cats who have notoriously short tails have a longer tail than any extant species of bear.

Hopefully this information can help you in your review of trying to find who you are, @Marc.
This reply was outstanding. Thank you so much for taking the time to type all of this.

This helped me realize that I do lift my back legs up since I do not like the sensation of being plantigrade. Also that I do have retractable claw sensations. I hadn't known before that a bears claws were not retractable and that is a huge part of my shifts because I do knead quite a lot. I feel as if I control them quite a lot and it comes as second nature for me.

I do prefer the cold but I am not connected with the ocean. I like the snow / ice but I also like forests so long as the temperature doesn't exceed a certain level of warmth.
Streams and Rivers are more my speed as I have never liked the ocean and tend to avoid it if I can.

It's hard for me to really picture my teeth. I just know my teeth are notably large and my claws as well. Feline claws seem to be far too small / short for me as well as their teeth. A saber is something I just started learning about last night - this made me realize that I don't have tail shifts either. This may be due to lack of length or something with the species I am looking for. Though - who knows?

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
I am happy that it helped alreay, @Marc.

With regard to rear legs in proportion to the body, bears remain very much quadrupeds despite being plantigrade. The best thing I can imagine trying to explore there is how the foot feels on a surface, what parts of it are stimulated or not. If it feels much more like a human foot in positioning in posture, not in relation to the rest of the body and only focusing on the foot, it is extremely unlikely to be digitigrade as with say, canines or felines.

Admittedly I have not heard of bears kneading, so that is another quality that is almost distinctly feline. Top of mind, I can name no large carnivore outside of extant and extinct cats which notably does so and has a tremendous range of articulation in digits as that. Bears have notably massive claws yet they are by no means all that articulate. So perhaps that offers some semblance of an important clue; I suggest, as do I with all of this, that it keeps being explored and really trying to describe the range of movement and details. Another one to think of is what shape the claws are, as felids have remarkably hook-shaped claws, the only real exception being the cheetah whose retractile claws are partially fixed and less pronounced - roughly equivalent to those seen in canines with just more stereotypical feline exaggeration in their shape.

Water tends to be a significant factor for bears and although that connection is tenuous, ursids generally congregate near sources of water in territory and range less variably than felids. Unfortunately, that would be hard to use as suggestion of what one might really be, because it unfortunately blurs into the area of being ambiguous with human interests or biases. It really would be more of how at ease and pulled toward water one is in that sense. As far as ambient environmental qualities, Pleistocene and Pliocene felids, of which most were sabertooth cats of some variety, lived in colder forests and grassland, reaching at most into boreal forest or taiga. Again, that offers very little of aid here, but it can still be used as very fringe suggestion once more core details are found out to help shape what exactly is being encountered.

My suggestion is to explore how the teeth feel and their shape, for one. There are many, many, many varieties of sabertooth cat throughout time - there are more Machairodonts throughout time than all other cat subfamilies - and tooth shape, length, and detail are very specific. If I knew more about that detail, I could try and better posit other questions there, @Marc. So far as tails go or lacking any experience of a specific type of shift, I would not worry about that too readily; not everyone has the same experiences. The lack of a tail being perceived could be as meaningless as simply it not being important or as groundbreaking as maybe confirming a sabertooth cat because the tail is such a subdued detail, so it is better to focus on what can be relayed. This in mind, perhaps look less at the claws conceptually and more paw size, as sabertooth cats tend to have slightly disproportionate, slightly larger paws than they should to other felids and the majority of this is related to the prey size they consumed.

Marc

I'd also like to add the reasons for why I connected with the kintypes I mentioned on this post. https://www.kinmunity.com/threads/suspicious.2251/#post-21981
I am starting to see a trend of things.

Dog |
Connected with Dog's I think just due to having a love for them as a child. I just wanted a Dog as a kid and as i've owned a few - I have realized in adulthood it was all just for bias.
I surrounded myself with Dog imagery as a kid because I lacked that security at home. I relied on my single mother for everything despite having a large family - I was always the outcast and never connected with them.

I connected with Rottweilers (even though I don't like them ha) due to their build as well as their natural ability to guard. I am a very easy going guy and I take great pride in defending others. That has been a trait of mine since I was very young and it's like second nature. I've lost my connection with Dog's almost entirely though. I love them but not as much as the average person.

Wolf |
Balto was a big reason. I connected with the character and it is not hard to find films dedicated to Wolves. Humans have always had an infatuation with Wolves.
I questioned this species due to the Wolf Therian around me. I would hear their experiences and relate but I would always find myself still not understanding them.

People associated me with Wolves but I have never liked Wolves. Sure they are amazing but I would say I connect with them far lesser than the average person, as well.

Lion |
My family name being 'Simba' literally meaning Lion. It is apart of my families military heritage and Lion imagery was always around me as a kid. My siblings and I were frequently depicted as Lion's as well as the adults. Lion King played a huge part in my childhood as well as others, I am sure.

My first Fursona was demon lion. He came natural to me and I didn't have to ask myself what species - I just drew. This was an important moment for me as I tend to overthink now.
I played online games with friends who would be Wolves but I always found myself as a Lion. Wolves were just too small and it bothered me haha.

Werewolf |
I was exposed to Werewolves in my early teenagers and was hooked. I could relate so deeply with the concept of being both man and another animal.
I naturally wanted to revolve my life around this imagery because it resonated with me so well.
* This got me into looking into other were-animals! I questioned Were-Cat due to my humanoid shifts as well as my deep connection with felines.

Equine |
I was born in Houston, Texas but was raised primarily in Virginia. I have always lived in the south. That influenced me.
Being a Sagittarius - I resonated with Equine due to their large sizing (usually) and their ability to run. I connected with breeds like the Akhal-Teke due to their height and build.
Though I don't look at horses as if I understand them because I really don't. I connect with their species but like any other human.

Avians |
I actually never connected with birds outside of my Vulture and Penguins. My connection with Vultures started in 2018 due to their symbolism. I think they are more of a Spirit Animal or Totem.
I have gotten shifts which only made it more confusing for me. I have even made a post about how they may be a Kithtype instead. I have ruled that they are a symbol for me but they are not 'me'.

I have never connected with flight, ever. Never, ever. I have always been an on my feet or swimming kind of guy. I thought about Vultures because they tend to be weak flies and use Thermals to keep them in the air effortlessly.

I'd also like to add the reasons for why I connected with the kintypes I mentioned on this post. https://www.kinmunity.com/threads/suspicious.2251/#post-21981
I am starting to see a trend of things.

Dog |
Connected with Dog's I think just due to having a love for them as a child. I just wanted a Dog as a kid and as i've owned a few - I have realized in adulthood it was all just for bias.
I surrounded myself with Dog imagery as a kid because I lacked that security at home. I relied on my single mother for everything despite having a large family - I was always the outcast and never connected with them.

I connected with Rottweilers (even though I don't like them ha) due to their build as well as their natural ability to guard. I am a very easy going guy and I take great pride in defending others. That has been a trait of mine since I was very young and it's like second nature. I've lost my connection with Dog's almost entirely though. I love them but not as much as the average person.

Wolf |
Balto was a big reason. I connected with the character and it is not hard to find films dedicated to Wolves. Humans have always had an infatuation with Wolves.
I questioned this species due to the Wolf Therian around me. I would hear their experiences and relate but I would always find myself still not understanding them.

People associated me with Wolves but I have never liked Wolves. Sure they are amazing but I would say I connect with them far lesser than the average person, as well.

Lion |
My family name being 'Simba' literally meaning Lion. It is apart of my families military heritage and Lion imagery was always around me as a kid. My siblings and I were frequently depicted as Lion's as well as the adults. Lion King played a huge part in my childhood as well as others, I am sure.

My first Fursona was demon lion. He came natural to me and I didn't have to ask myself what species - I just drew. This was an important moment for me as I tend to overthink now.
I played online games with friends who would be Wolves but I always found myself as a Lion. Wolves were just too small and it bothered me haha.

Werewolf |
I was exposed to Werewolves in my early teenagers and was hooked. I could relate so deeply with the concept of being both man and another animal.
I naturally wanted to revolve my life around this imagery because it resonated with me so well.
* This got me into looking into other were-animals! I questioned Were-Cat due to my humanoid shifts as well as my deep connection with felines.

Equine |
I was born in Houston, Texas but was raised primarily in Virginia. I have always lived in the south. That influenced me.
Being a Sagittarius - I resonated with Equine due to their large sizing (usually) and their ability to run. I connected with breeds like the Akhal-Teke due to their height and build.
Though I don't look at horses as if I understand them because I really don't. I connect with their species but like any other human.

Avians |
I actually never connected with birds outside of my Vulture and Penguins. My connection with Vultures started in 2018 due to their symbolism. I think they are more of a Spirit Animal or Totem.
I have gotten shifts which only made it more confusing for me. I have even made a post about how they may be a Kithtype instead. I have ruled that they are a symbol for me but they are not 'me'.

I have never connected with flight, ever. Never, ever. I have always been an on my feet or swimming kind of guy. I thought about Vultures because they tend to be weak flies and use Thermals to keep them in the air effortlessly.
I questioned some aquatic animals but I have no connection with the Ocean. I tried to question 'out of the box' species but did not connect.
The animals species listed above are just species I have tried to Identify as. I have questioned a lot more but any other species didn't click enough for me to actually try.

+

I love the air but flight isn't something I connected with since I always associate that with wings. I know for a fact I don't have wings despite loving the feeling of the air.
I connected with Eastern Dragons (despite never liking Dragons) due to their teeth - heads - long claws. I threw out the idea due to not connecting with flight as well as not being able to feel an enlogated body or a tail. Though maybe I couldn't due to how much distance they usually cover? Probably not.

Marc

Forgot to add domestic Cattle. I had a year where I had horn shifts (Just feeling the weight of them). I originally just assumed they were cameo shifts but they stayed with me for a while. Starting to feel like I can relate with a lot of different parts of animals but not them as a whole? I’m starting to really question Eastern Dragon due to their traits being an amalgamation of all the Earthly species I have questioned.

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
You should probably start keeping all these questions in one thread rather than spreading them all over. It will be easier for you and everyone else to keep track.

Secondly, don't feel guilty about your uncertainty. You are taking time to question things rather than just jumping on something. It's obvious you are putting a lot of thought into this.

Maybe don't try so hard to put a label on your type just yet. Think about what shifts you get and how important each one seems. You might even be something that's undocumented, or something you haven't heard of before.

Hi! Um if you don't mind a newbie's two cents... The animal that came to mind instantly for me was a wolverine. They live up in the arctic, have strong claws and big teeth, and depending on where in the world we're talking about the people around them have described them as either small cats, small bears, or small wolves, even though they're really closest related to martins. Also they are quite awesome predators, able to take out animals much larger than them like caribou and moose.

Attachments

• Wolverine 3.jpg
    Wolverine 3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3

Marc

This is really awesome insight! I've questioned them numerous times but I don't really feel a 'click'. Even though I feel I have so much in common with them. But who knows?
I may just not be non-human even though I have identified with the term. Not even sure if I am an earthly being. So I kind of have given up on labels all together hah.

Not sure my judgement of myself is really valid anymore since I am not even sure what I am searching for. x)

I recently connected with something and have been content in my bond with it even if it really isn't 'me' -- but it's sort of a Japanese shapeshifter in a way.