Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an alterhuman community serving otherkin, the furry fandom, fictionkin, therians, vampires, coping links, plural systems, and the other-hearted. We provide our users with a wide variety of features, such as: forums, media center, articles library, user blogs, social groups, live chat, and more!

Curious? Come join us today!

What are some odd things that you do, that other people probally do not?

FoxChi

What are some odd things that you do, that other people probally do not?  Like, if you are an adult, what is something you do that others probally do not? 

I'll start-

I always shut my closet door.  I know that there is nothing in there... It just makes me feel more secure at night...

Effervescent-Daydream

YES SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES THE DOOR THING OMG

I do really weird food things when I want a snack but don't feel like actually MAKING the snack. Like sometimes I make a "grilled cheese" by microwaving it. ...I have committed a crime against food I'm sorry- 

Charias

Wandering Wolf
Staff member
Guardian
I talk to practically everything. Especially insects and spiders... y'know that really annoying kind of "pet talk" people use with their dogs/cats? I also do that with bugs, aha.

B

bhiurd

Unverified
I have a weird habit of naming and "humanizing" just about anything, even if it's some random plain rock on the forest floor, as well as talking to everything casually like I would with a friend.

Effervescent-Daydream

I talk to practically everything. Especially insects and spiders... y'know that really annoying kind of "pet talk" people use with their dogs/cats? I also do that with bugs, aha.
OMG i'm not alone! Yessss I do this too! I can't count the number of times I've seen a moth or something and just been like "Hello there~" 

beanjamoose

Whenever I walk down the stairs in low light, the dark, or when I just can't see my feet cause I'm holding something, I tap my foot against the edge of the stair I'm on before taking a step.

I think I started doing this so I wouldn't fall down the stairs at night around when I first moved in, since they curve at the bottom and I wasn't used to it. But I still do it now, even though I've lived here almost a year and a half. It's just a habit now, I guess 😛 

FoxChi

Whenever I walk down the stairs in low light, the dark, or when I just can't see my feet cause I'm holding something, I tap my foot against the edge of the stair I'm on before taking a step.

I think I started doing this so I wouldn't fall down the stairs at night around when I first moved in, since they curve at the bottom and I wasn't used to it. But I still do it now, even though I've lived here almost a year and a half. It's just a habit now, I guess 😛 
I DO THAT TOO!!  I know know one that does that as well! XD

The amount of stims I have are probably too great for my memory to even keep track of them at this point. They're all automatic (because I'm forgetting the correct word for that right now..).  When I get excited and can't contain my energy I will do the 'fly' aka *rubs hands aggressively*. Then I am frequently asked "are you cold?" afterwards. 

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
My daughter and I like to make fun of the birds in the back yard. 

We'll make a wheezing coo noise while holding one arm up threateningly and then slap our hands against our sides, imitating the violent doves fighting over the bird seed.  Symbol of peace, my butt. 

This morning we were also sticking our noses high up in the air, "fluffing" our arms, and making high pitched scree noises. We saw a group of grackles having a fashion king contest yesterday and had to make fun of them too. 

The dog thought it looked like fun so he play attacked us.

Cottontail

i know im not the only one on the planet that has this or anything, but it seems pretty uncommon and no one can seem to figure out what it is. sometimes I have these... "neck fizzies". imagine the feeling of pop rocks or soda in your mouth. now imagine that same sparkling/popping feeling in the back of your neck. It's so weird. I also noticed it happens most often when im hungry so maybe thats part of it? 

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
@Cottontail: there is a skin sensation called "Paresthesia" which could be related to what you describe. It seems it's quite rare. I'm having it all my life, but for me it manifests like an electric surge feeling / prickling sensation, starting at the lower back and propagating along my spine. I can control it to a certain extent and make it reach my head or legs. It can be triggered by temperature differences or touches, but at times also appears when I only think about kin related things. I'm not concerned about it - it's a part of me, and it feels good. I speculate that it might be kin related and often use it in meditation as to support visualized energy flows.

Can you control your sensation somehow? Does it propagate or is it always limited to the back of your neck?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cottontail

@Cottontail: there is a skin sensation called "Paresthesia" which could be related to what you describe. It seems it's quite rare. I'm having it all my life, but for me it manifests like an electric surge feeling / prickling sensation, starting at the lower back and propagating along my spine. I can control it to a certain extent and make it reach my head or legs. It can be triggered by temperature differences or touches, but at times also appears when I only think about kin related things. I'm not concerned about it - it's a part of me, and it feels good. I speculate that it might be kin related and often use it in meditation as to support visualized energy flows.

Can you control your sensation somehow? Does it propagate or is it always limited to the back of your neck?
They may be similar... It's always the back of my neck tho 

LastSaveFile

I can make sounds and mimic other sounds quite well. I’m not talking the water droplet thing. I’m talking mimicking certain velociraptor calls from the Jurassic Park movies to peacock calls to zebras. I can growl eerily well both canine and feline. Dove calls, too. I also have a constant habit of clicking. No one I know can make sounds like I do. I add bonus points to myself for also taking bipedal animal stances