• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

What is a kin name for universes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
I've seen many fictionkin talking about their "canon", maybe that's what you mean? Fictionkin.com defines "canon" as follows (sic):

The source in which a fictional character or fictional species is from. A canon could be a movie, a book, a comic, or any other sort of media.
Also you could refer to the term "Multiverse", but that's something different. Wikipedia defines "Multiverse" as follows:

Hypothetical group of multiple universes including the universe in which we live

Addy-River

The only term I've ever heard is "multiverse" which includes all universes. But if you mean just a single universe, I don't think there is. If its a universe for a specific canon most people just say "(Canon) universe."

beanjamoose

If you're talking about fictionkin specifically, I've heard "canon" and "timeline" used pretty much interchangeably. The only difference I've seen is that a "canon" is typically used to describe kin that matches the source material closely, whereas a "timeline" can divert from the source material more. 

"Canon" has always been a fictionkin-exclusive term in my experience, as otherkin and therians have no source material, but "timeline" can be used by any kintypes. It's just most commonly used by fictionkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.