• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

...what should I do...?

FoxChi

so my mother asked me to go to the store to buy some food for tacos tonight.  I happily said yes, and she gave me 25 dollars to buy, a hygienic product, beef, taco shells, and salsa.  And that is what I bought, AND ONLY WHAT I BOUGHT! When I was moving all my items into my backpack, after I paid, I think I through away the resiet....  on accident.  So when I came home I gave her the change, and she asked me if I bought anything extra, and I said no.  So I went upstairs to do my homework.  Minutes later I went back down to tell her who I saw at the store, and she was peeved.  She said, "CLEO THIS DOESNT ADD UP!!  THE BEEF WAS NOT 15 DOLLARS!!" and started asking me where the reseat was, and I told what happened, and she got more upset, assuming that I bought something and was lying! guys I need some help, she is calling my father s he can go to the store and figure out what I bought. even tho I didn't buy anything.... what should I do?

(Ik I spelled reseat wrong, but I cant spell soooo idc)

M

MariaTheFictionkin

Unverified
I really don't know how to answer this. You told her what happened; you lost the receipt, unless you can find it by checking your bag. If not then you can't really do anything about it, in my opinion. If your mother cannot accept that then that's on her. Her getting worked up over this is not at all beneficial to either of you.

Last edited:

Shiranui

Unfortunately, there's not really much you can do in your situation without the receipt.

I'm not entirely sure why your mother is freaking out to the extent that she is; as an adult who routinely goes grocery shopping and keeps a very, very close eye on prices... beef is very expensive. Meat in general, but any kind of beef is inherently expensive. If she only gave you $25 for all of that, that's cutting it pretty close. It's possible you bought a brand, or type of beef that's more expensive than what she's used to (sometimes it's easy to grab something other than the store brand, for example, other times the store will have numerous packages with different prices per pound, etc.), you could've also bought more than she's used to buying. You could've gotten a more expensive brand of taco shell, etc. etc. It could've gone for anything in that list, you could have just purchased slightly more expensive things than she's used to getting. Or, you know, her mental math could just be off...

... as for her sending your father to the store to figure out what you bought, it's completely and totally pointless. As someone who has been a cashier in several different stores, many different times: the cashier, if they're still there, is not going to remember every single item you bought. They go through too many items, too many transactions, and too many customers a day to remember that. Second of all, grocery stores do not keep a record of transactions in the way that people think they do. Even if you used a point/rewards card, it doesn't keep track of transactions. I know there's nothing you can do to stop your father from going, but it's completely and totally pointless for him to go, and it's ridiculous that your mother even sent him in the first place. 

Unfortunately without that receipt, there's nothing you can do except continue to assert that you were honest and purchased what you were supposed to purchase, and that you accidentally misplaced the receipt. If you want, maybe ask her what brands/amounts of stuff she usually buys to see if you accidentally bought a more expensive brand, or purchased a higher quantity than she normally purchases, thus resulting in the higher cost. I'm sorry she's behaving so suspiciously of you, that's quite unreasonable. Either way, best of luck with this situation.

FoxChi

@Shiranui thank you so much, that really calmed my nerves 🙂  and my mother may have told him to look at the cameras, which is also pointless, and since it was Target, she looked everything up on the website, and so did I.  actually, its weird it doesn't add up... I think I may have scanned something twice on accident, bc I use a self checkout... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiranui

@Shiranui thank you so much, that really calmed my nerves 🙂  and my mother may have told him to look at the cameras, which is also pointless, and since it was Target, she looked everything up on the website, and so did I.  actually, its weird it doesn't add up... I think I may have scanned something twice on accident, bc I use a self checkout... 
I'm glad I was able to help in some way!  :foxheart:

Also, yeah... they're not gonna let him look at cameras. That's for management and asset protection (theft prevention) team members to look at. They don't just let random people look at that stuff. 

That's highly possible, those scanners are often pretty dodgy, and sometimes if you're not careful you can double scan, like if you're adjusting the contents of your bag and you move the item too close to the scanner while you're adjusting. I have had the opposite problem where I've heard a beep from someone else's self checkout scanner and thought it was mine and bagged something thinking that it got scanned when it didn't. There's definitely a human error component to it, so don't feel too bad. Down the road, if she asks you to do that again, definitely keep your receipt. Stuff it in your pocket or your wallet to make sure you still have it, just in case she decides to scrutinize like this again.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
Oof, your mother sounds like a piece of work, and my apologies.

You did nothing wrong and it’s on her to get over it. You didn’t go spending hundreds of her dollars, so it’s not a huge deal. She reminds me of someone who called in while I was still working at my last job. They had a $10 digital currency card they misplaced the receipt of, and initially said “it’s just $10, so it’s fine if you can’t help me” and then when I told them we had to have the receipt to help them out, blew up at my like they’d wasted $50.

Anyway, best of luck to you in dealing with her.

FoxChi

@Jethero  pffft its fine, if you asked @thatdorkybabycat  they'd tell you a whole bunch of things about her >u<  its funny... and she is definitely a piece of work...  like ik that every kid says ohhhh I hate my parents and crap like that, and I don't hate her, well okay that's not true, she just over reacts about everything I do "wrong"

Last edited by a moderator: