• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Why do dragon kin like eating gems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catums

I've never heard of dragons doing this outside of Spike from mlp. It seems odd to me but I could understand eating regular rocks for dragons and how it may tie into fire powers, but gems just seem a little odd. Of course I know not all dragon kin do this but it struck me as pretty weird.

Edit: I get why people shouldn't eat them, but why did they eat them as dragons? What did dragons gain from eating these rare and sought out minerals (other than maybe a more close by place to host your gems)

Last edited by a moderator:

LunastreDraconis

Celestial Draconian Queen 🌔
As someone who is draconian, (dragonkin), I honestly don’t see why people do this. We all have human bodies, and it’s very obvious there is no nutritional value and gain for eating rocks and gems. One can hoard and like gems, but eating them doesn’t really serve any purpose. Especially rocks, some can be jagged and fragile, making sharp points that can cut the inside of your body and it’s just... not good. If anyone here has been thinking of doing such, I would suggest find a better and more edible option! For example, rock candy, pop rocks, or even making your own gem or rock like treats! Be sure to be safe friends! ^.=.^ 🐉💎🐉

Effervescent-Daydream

As someone who is draconian, (dragonkin), I honestly don’t see why people do this. We all have human bodies, and it’s very obvious there is no nutritional value and gain for eating rocks and gems. One can hoard and like gems, but eating them doesn’t really serve any purpose. Especially rocks, some can be jagged and fragile, making sharp points that can cut the inside of your body and it’s just... not good. If anyone here has been thinking of doing such, I would suggest find a better and more edible option! For example, rock candy, pop rocks, or even making your own gem or rock like treats! Be sure to be safe friends! ^.=.^ 🐉💎🐉
Adding onto this a little, I heard one dragonkin mention that pomegranates worked for them. I haven't had the pleasure of trying one myself but supposedly the seeds are crunchy? Maybe give them a try if you're into that  c :

As a dragon I collected gems and used their energy(and I still do now), but I did not(and do not) consume them by any other means. I don't think I've seen much explanation for other dragons who may have eaten gems, but one theory is something to do with it aiding in digestion, and for a dragon perhaps the shiniest stone is more tempting than your average rock.  Otherwise, I have no idea, and imagine it must vary from which dragons you ask why. 

CopperCoyote

I'm not a dragon, but to address the example you gave (Spike from My Little Pony), I'm pretty sure the reason the dragons in that show eat gemstones is because they taste like candy to them.  There's plenty of moments where Spike is shown mixing gemstones into icecream sundays, baking them into cupcakes, etc.

I guess the gems in Equestria are just supposed to be different somehow?  Idk.

B

bhiurd

Unverified
I've seen and met some dragons that crave gems but I never knew why and still don't. I'm guessing for their dragonkin it's for helping certain things like flight or digestion (some reptiles, fish, and birds eat rocks to do various things like weigh them down and grinding food) and gems just happened to work the best compared to rocks, or those gems are necessary to them doing things like breathing fire. Maybe it *did* give them some sort of nutritional value, was a key to their scale colors, or something else valuable like that as a dragon. Maybe it's also a way their kintype stores their best treasures?

Just some theories. Now I'm very curious, and would like to ask some of these dragons. I believe I know some but I don't think they're too active.

Status
Not open for further replies.