Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Will you or have you ever told anyone in real life you where otherkin and how did it go?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56966
  • Start date
I think your friends are awesome!

My mom sorta guessed after the long years of the casual tiger-related knick-knacks, accessories and accidental growls. I feel I should wait for her to ask me more about it, than the other way around.

My closest friends are all either otherkin or furry, so there's that (though early on I wasn't even aware that therianthropy was a thing, and felt too weird to share that to them!)

I told two ex-coworkers at a warehouse job,
.. one shared they worked at a computer repair club with another man that designed fursuits in the back! (wow, cool!) the person was a dolphin therian.
.. the other, kinda like an older brother to me, mentioned that he and his partner loved to create masks and costumes .. how could I not show my own tiger costume at that point? it fostered more trust.

The more public acquaintances .. they maybe entertain roleplay a little with me, or get weirded out, I try not to scare them away ⚠️

CrowLove

Transgender Pride
Otherhearted
Non-Binary Pride
Plural
Otherkin
Crow
They/Them
We told some friends who are otherkin too or who turned out to be otherkin. And we told a friend of us who is a wicca.
Beside that, Crows sister knows it but she don't know what to do with that information. She took it as it is but she doesn't feel comfortable with this subject, so I keep imitade Crow when talking to her and we pretty much never talked about it again.
And we have one online friend in an autism forum. We were talking about some paranormal stuff and somehow we ended by non humans. It wasn't planned but he was very curious about it and accepting.

Anon Vibes

Fictionkin
Polyamorous Pride
Asexual Pride
Plural
Genderflux Pride
Otherkin
Therianthrope
custom pronouns
I told a few of my friends
The first friend I told was very accepting.
The second friend was a little confused at first but once I explained she understood. Somehow her brother found out and he was a little a$$ about it and would make fun of me for it by barking at me or saying things like fetch doggy.

Dante

Gold Donor
I've told my partner and she tolerates it. Unfortunately, I think that she does not understand it, there is too little interest in conversations.

CoolishBean

other pronouns
I only told my sister about it and she just said “okay” with a very confused tone. I don’t really know how she reacted but yeah. It just happened

The Boys

Crow
Therianthrope
Gay Pride
Plural
Fictionkin
Otherkin
Transgender Pride
Murdoc: No.

And I don't think I will.

But when we open up about being multiple, I'll have to give a name for myself. My plan is simple: I say that I relate to the character a lot, which is why I chose this name. That is not a complete lie, but it is not the truth. I can't bring myself to lie and call myself a fictive. It just isn't true, and I would have to lie about not being around during childhood. Well, I think that information is important to understanding why I am even here.

I wish I could say it, but I would only say it in person if I could be guaranteed that I would be believed. What is the point otherwise? It's hard to come back from that.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
+Primal Member
VIP
Therianthrope
Golden Shield
He/Him
For one reason and if at the very least, I have never adopted - almost certainly never will - the title of "therian" or "otherkin" simply because I find the terms and definitions, past and present, inadequate to describe myself. The same reason I go around to begin with presenting myself with any definitions. As an ethos, a personal philosophy, I would rather my presentation and individual being speak foremost for me, not some contrived label which shifts and changes, fluctuates, moves, is adapted and adopted relatively constantly. The language we exist in, more than ever, is to flexible and fluid for that, no less it allows or rather dare I say outright affords and encourages as part of societal structure in humans the type of maltreatment of the lexicon as we see today; not only do there exist an excess of words and phrases to describe existing ideas, of which the words themselves serve as better descriptors in sum and not as components there of people are most content to keep adding new and increasingly abstract ones to fill niches - to fill roles that did not exist. None of this, from the experience to the language to describe it has arisen organically, and I would equally dare any of the bravest sorts to try to allude to how it has; I cannot be convinced it has because the very concept of the thing I hail from, which in root all of that which originates in this too, exists from a time and a place wherein there were no words for it.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the regular person can barely so much as grasp their own belief or their own unbelief. I can present to them any formative, foundational exercise in the discussion of spirits and souls, the idea of karma, the origins of death and resurrection, the idea of rebirth or cyclic nature, and they will happily nod before me because that is all well and good, all things they have heard before. But the idea that one could exist or be something extraordinary, nonmundane, even nonhuman? Unthinkable, if not just because the concept is foreign and frightening. It becomes all too much a lengthy exercise to break the molds of their anthropocentric, anthropomorphic conditioning, to appeal to that which they already know and by in large part belief - only to note, much of what they believe if not all of it is sanitized of the wholeness of the truth, mostly because it is difficult and or unpleasant - to simply even try down that route.

So too is it the case that there is just nothing to gain from explaining it to people. They are vexed enough, absolutely floored by any manner of mundane thing I could tell them, any basic thing they could still find in a textbook or literature of old - which in itself is being stricken from the record for any number of reasons to further obscure and delude any semblance of object fact, of which they already know so little of - that to even branch off into theology, philosophy, spirituality and religion is too much for them to handle. Again, it is almost as though I need bit by bit chip away at the marble to reveal the statue concealed within it, that their whole existence has been hardened up into this confined thing, and even presenting basic knowledge about the universe in front of their face, never mind any of the great mysteries of existence, they can hardly stand footing with. If I come out with it directly, what is to be taken from that or understood? It would be taken as awkward, strange, even slightly disturbed. Anyone, most of all them and those they come to interact with thereafter, stand far more a worthwhile use of my time trying to convey broader strokes to them than anything else.

Likewise, opening up to them is just egotistical, it becomes a spotlight upon myself. I have lived a vast and complex, diversified life, whose details sound like an adventurer-hunter's novel crossed with the profoundly psychological-spiritual, a strangely well aligned martial underpinning, and a copious amount of time spent in research essays and the aforementioned field work. Really need I make it seem as though I am lifting myself up more or attempting to draw attention to my identity? Is it worth making me seem even more important? In the end, I am a servant, I am ultimately no one of significance, and those who come to know my story fully are only those who have not just earned it but have reason to do so, because evidently, it is important enough for them to approach it with over time; over many, many a conversation, and absolute questioning. It is not just some dialogue nested in me I can merely recite or explain or allow some nebulous label to "adequately" describe. Can one really condense an "identity", rather the entire unthread of a being to one word, really? Might I so trust that it has not been so abused and misused as I know it has been to evoke completely wild imaginations of what those words mean to those who have actually heard of them? Or might it just it truly be better to not take the focus of the narrative of life and allow those who sense something else to come to me instead?

If I did and it were to fail, then what? What before they could not have cared about one way or the other but now they are invested with a weapon I provided them. It matters not if I am indifferent, it takes no effort for them to collect the sword I cast at their feet and deliver it to another. Why arm a potential adversary, even if they themselves make no use of it? I can claim indifference all I like but it would take little for any dedicated foe to declare me - or any other of similar status - mentally ill or unfit, or even in some cases, deigned problem enough to require an evaluation which even if all goes well attaches nothing but a stigma; it brings potential for nothing but suffering.

As a result, it remains only my closest confidants, my closest companions, of which are so few I could name them in one breath, who know the truth. Not all of them know the entirety of the truth as it is either, they are satisfied with what they know and what they have been entrusted with knowing. Were they to wish more, they would ask, but it is clear that is not a human desire; it opens too many questions and doors.

Jeb_CC

+Primal Member
VIP
Alterhuman
Aromantic Pride
Asexual Pride
Xe/Xem
I've only 'come out' to my partner and have no plans to come out to anyone else.

I told my partner as he is the only human I've ever truly entrusted. I feel I've imprinted deeply on him, as he's guided me so much in my life where others did not. Since our relationship is so deep and pure, it's only natural for us to share every part of our lives. When I came out, it didn't come as a surprise, like we always sort of knew together. He's been continuously supportive, and is really helping me with my paleotherian dysphoria. He bought me some webbed gloves as an awakening gift!

As for others, I feel there is no need. I'm comfortable where I am right now, and them knowing has no real benefit. And as @Red-in-Tooth said, I don't want to draw attention to myself. I'm not special and I don't want to act like it!

Beepy Data Center

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Alterhuman
Plural
Furry
Conceptkin
custom pronouns
All of my close friends know I am otherkin. They more or less accept me, because they already see me as "more or less a robot in a human body" so it's not too much for them when I say I self-ID as an AI in a human body 🤣

Foxglove

Demisexual Pride
They/Them
Most of my close friends know and they are accepting and respectful of it. One of my friends is actually fictionkin too!