Windows 7 or 10? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Windows 7 or 10?

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by St Claire, May 3, 2016.

?

7 or 10

1. Windows 7

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Windows 10

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Don't know/I don't use windows

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.50
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Last year my computer's hard drive failed shortly after upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1. I don't know if this was a direct result of the upgrade, but regardless I don't want Windows 8 on my computer.

After saving up for a long time I now have the money to have the computer fixed. I'm going to tell the repair people that I want a different OS installed than the one it came with. So, my questions is, should I downgrade to Windows 7 or have them upgrade me to windows 10?

I am an experienced user of Windows 7 and it is an OS that I am comfortable with, but I've been seeing a lot of positive things being said about Windows 10 lately. It's difficult to decide, haha.

2. Hyphero

Hyphero Wisp of Mystery
    VIP Swamp Lurker

MegalixirGold Fae CoinBlue AngelBrimstone DemonBlue GriffinWill'o'wisp
    Bones:
    Ƀ19,573.62
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    I very much prefer Windows 7. I've heard bad things about Windows 10 such as compatibility issues, mandatory telemetry, Cortana being a pain, and Metro tiles on the freaking start menu.

3. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ59.00
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Between Windows 7 and 10, 7; as you left open the possibility to mention another operating system in the option "I don't use windows", I'd recommend you Xubuntu, since telemetry became a part of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 via Windows Update.

4. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,075.41
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I use both really. On laptop of mine has Windows 7 and the other has windows 10.

5. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I use Windows 10; most annoying thing I've noticed is that sometimes it automatically restarts without any warning whatsoever, it just decides it has to update now. There's a way to stop it from doing that so you can reschedule the update, but I don't know how. Basically it does that at a time when it knows you don't usually use the computer, so like for me, I will go to class for an hour and then come back to my room to discover it updated and closed out of all the tabs I had open...

@kiror What's telemetry?

6. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Upgrading to Windows 10 was one of the best things I've ever done with my computer. I don't understand people's complaints, especially because many of the things people don't like about it can be easily turned off. All I know is, it made everything run faster for me.

But that was compared to Windows 8, so your mileage may vary. Still, between that and future compatibility, I'd recommend 10. As for running Linux, I would say it depends on what you're using the computer for. If you're using it for programming or just basic Web browsing and the like, I find that Ubuntu and its variants work quite well. But beyond that, I find that most things are harder to do in Linux. And if you want to use it for gaming, definitely don't go with Linux. Wine is not the same as actually running Windows.

One last thing to consider: unless your computer had Windows 7 on it when you first got it, you might have to pay for it to install it.

7. ChanceKatt

ChanceKatt Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ31.05
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    I currently have 8.1 and it works just fine for now. I've considered Windows 10 but I keep hearing about it being somehow invasive and I'm not impressed with Microsoft's recent plan to basically monopolize PC gaming through Windows 10.

Also, hasn't Windows 7 support been dropped, so it's going to become risky as all get out like Windows XP is now (or maybe Win7's there already)?

8. TimelordVictorious

TimelordVictorious ໒( ͡ᵔ ▾ ͡ᵔ )७
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I switched to 10. Everything's faster, so I'm happy with it. I also managed to save my laptop. It was taking about an hour to shut down every single time because there was something wrong with the updates and now it's doing fine.

Already? That was fast...

9. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,269.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I'm pretty sure the support for Windows 7 has dropped for a while now. I kept getting popups that said "Windows 7 is out of date" or "No longer supported, do you want to upgrade to Windows 8?", so I upgraded. The only trouble I've had is the task bar on the bottom freezes up sometimes, but that's it.
    So your best bet would be Windows 10, or Ubuntu.

10. Sandwaster

Sandwaster Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    If your computer is fast enough, and has the space, I would go with 10. I think 7 still is my favorite windows version, 8 being my least but I havn't had a problem with 10 (yet)... Eventually 7 will fade away like XP. want to keep up with tech might as well keep up with the latest OS's. Best of all, it is still free to upgrade so you might as well jump on that while you can or pay the 100$ or whatever they will charge. My laptop came with 7 and 10 runs smoother than 7 did on that thing.

Also, the stupid tiles in the Start menu are a bit annoying, but you got a start menu back, and I grew to not pay attention to the tiles.

11. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror

Bones:
    Ƀ59.00
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    On Windows 10, it's the data Microsoft has set Windows to collect and upload automatically to their servers. Among those data, there are crashed application core dumps, system logs and basic text and voice input. The crashed application core dumps are intended to improve compatibility, the system logs for reducing system errors and the basic text and voice input for improving voice recognition and spell checking.

If you were logged in and your browser crashed, your session token that was in browser's memory space will be sent to Microsoft (if the browser crashed after typed your password but before you sent it, it'll be in plain text: a lot easier to recover). System Logs can seem inoffensive, but they can contain some folder that you wouldn't like that anyone else knew about its existence. If you type your passwords frequently, they have higher chances of being sent to Microsoft - also the words you most frequently type allows them to know more about you than you want they knew.

If you don't care about what companies know about you and what measures they take to keep your personal information confidential, using Windows as your primary operating system won't be a problem for you. On Linux, it exists the possibility of sending back the crashed program as a way to help the developer of the application making it more stable in future versions, but it previously ask you if you want sending that data or not.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.50
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    You guys have given me a lot to think about lol. Based on the information you've given me, I think I might give Windows 10 a try. What really sold me was hearing that support for Windows 7 has been dropped.

@kiror I actually used to have a version of Ubuntu on a laptop. It worked great, was the fastest and smoothest running OS I'd ever used, which was pretty amazing considering the laptop I was running it on was 7+ years old at the time. I'm seriously considering running Ubuntu on the next laptop that I purchase (although that won't be for a few years yet). However, for my desktop there are certain applications and programs that I require that simply aren't supported by Linux OSs. I also use my desktop for gaming which, as @Gryff has pointed out, isn't all that feasible on current Linux systems. (I remember the struggle of trying to install Minecraft on my Ubuntu laptop, haha. I managed to do it, but it took me a few days to work it out).

13. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    I mentioned this out of context before, but some people try to rectify the gaming problem on Linux with a program called Wine, which is meant to let you play Windows games on Linux. And speaking from personal experience, it does not work. Even when it does, it's only after a lot of tinkering.

14. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror

Bones:
    Ƀ59.00
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    I disagree with what you said.
    Screenshot - 05-05-2016 - 17:37:19.png
    "Speed" is "Need For Speed Underground" - it crashes; I made it work in another computer; there's a fix for it, but I haven't that urge to play it yet.
    "LoL" is "League of Legends" - it does not display shop properly.
    "Harry Potter e o Prisioneiro de ..." is "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" - working fine.
    "“Œ•û®Žì“` ‘ÌŒ±”Å" is "Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom" - same bugs I experience in Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10.

Games on the left column are "emulated" by wine and have some problems. (:relievedface:
    Games on the center column are "emulated" by wine and are running flawlessly. (9)
    Games on the two rightmost columns are native for Linux. (17)

"Tomb Raider" (201:relievedface: (isn't on desktop) does not run on wine without serious performance issues and visual glitches, however there's already a native linux version of it. If you like playing AAA games as soon as they launch with all performance your machine can provide, your best choice, in the present, is Windows.

(better stop talking about linux now or the post will get derailed)

About what the Windows version choose, I'd go with Windows 7 (because I can disable aero making it look like Windows 98, saving CPU, GPU and RAM); however I'd recommend Windows 10 if you're the "plug and play" kind of user that prefers everything working "out-of-the-box" (or with a driver CD when necessary).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blizzardvern

Blizzardvern Icy Wyvern of the Swamp
    VIP Swamp Lurker

Voice KeyGold VIP - One Year Subscription
    Bones:
    Ƀ260.91
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    You can change the updates to manual early on after you install windows 10 and a dialog pops up. Additionally, you can search "Services" in your computer and scroll down until you see "windows update". Click properties, and you can change the update to manual so that you can chose when to update it on restart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    Again, I'm speaking from my own experiences. The few things I was able to get running I spent more time trying to get working than I did playing them. That said, this was quite a while ago, so it may have gotten better since then. Either way, we can at least agree that it's not equivalent to actually using Windows for your games.

You can also multiboot, using Windows for gaming and Ubuntu for other things.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Speaking from strictly IT lifestyle (both privately and at work) I say Windows 7 is better. It is tried and tested with next to know flaws, whereas Windows 10, which I was one of the few Beta testers has had no end of bugs and glitches even after this length of time.
    Personally I say stick with the tried and tested OS

18. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Windows 10 is... I see both the good and bad in it, but for me, the bad is a little more important than the good. Windows 10 seems to struggle with reading DVDs and CDs, on my computer and on the computers of my friends who also have it, but your mileage may vary on that. Windows 10 also insists on using 'apps' instead of programs, which can make it a little weird if you just want to do something like... open a .zip, edit a picture, play a DVD. It's also a little hard to find Control Panel. The worst part of it I've encountered has been the auto-update. As far as I can tell, there is no way to turn off auto-update, and it will just restart your computer whether you want it to or not. The delay feature doesn't actually delay it. Maybe there's a way to do this that I'm not seeing, but if that is going to bother you, may want to stick with Windows 7. I do like the Windows 10 interface a lot, especially the borderless windows, and it seems overall faster than Windows 7, but the weird navigation and auto-update has really turned me off.

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ289.50
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    Windows 10 is frustrating.
    It is usable in a way that Windows 8 was not, but it is also incredibly buggy. I have had to reinstall windows on two of my computers since upgrading to win 10. One of them I have given up on and simply installed Linux because... stuff Microsoft.
    As for windows 7, well its probably one of the best operating systems every made, its still perfectly usable even with all of the advancements in technology since it was first released.

20. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    Windows 7 by far, I'd say XP if they didn't murder it.

Windows 10 has in it's EULA some very screwed up stuff. Some of these include bricking (aka turning your computer into a paper weight) your computer if they believe you are pirating stuff. My wife almost had her computer bricked by Microsoft back when 10 first came out because she had steam! Steam! They thought steam was a pirating software! They litterally told her this when she called their customer service and threatened to sue. I mean common! Steam is a well known game manager application! I'm not joking, this really happened. You would think such a huge corporation would at least look into these things rather then just assume?

The other thing is even if you turn off the settings for it Microsoft will still envasively spy on you.

I do not trust 8, 8.1 nor 10. I bought a windows 7 install disk and boy am I glad I did.