Winter traditions | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Winter traditions

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Skylark, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Yule, Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, and various other holidays and New Years are upon us this winter. What do you celebrate, and how?

I've always celebrated Christmas with my family, since it's what I grew up celebrating. Christmas tree, lights, traditional stuff and all that. Christmas eve is spent with @pastrybears , and Christmas day with one side of my family.

I've also begun celebrating Yule a little, mostly on my own. I used to really think I was a Celtic Reconstructionist, but now I'm discovering that I identify more with a Druid path, which as opened me up to new ways of worship and thinking. Because I'm still "in the broomcloset" with both my witchcraft and my religion, I find solace in the subtler ways of worship, like taking a nature walk, and making little crafts from things I find. I'm thinking of making a birdseed bagel, since the weather is unusually warm this year, and there may be a few more birds around.

Although I'm an ethnic Jew, I never grew up celebrating Hanukah, but I'd like to try someday.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Marshall

Marshall Magical Angry Furball
    FelineHiatus

White WingsBlack CatRainbow KitsuneChibi Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ5,371.99
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :noexpression:
    Holidays aren't a real big fuss for my family.

On Christmas, we just have dinner and open gifts. It's nothing much, but it's still pretty nice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    My family and I celebrate Christmas all December long. We do something called an advent calender and with each passing day there is a new activity t do with the family. This has created new traditions and well cherished memories. When I get home from school it is nice to return to some fun Christmas themed activities after finals. This year we are celebrating Christmas with my boyfriend's family!

We celebrate New Years normally with my mom's college friends whom she calls the YaYa's (if you've seen the movie kudos).

We also celebrate Three Kings Day in January, it's sort of a secondary Christmas for those of you who don't know, it seems to be primarily celebrated in Spanish speaking countries. I haven't seen otherwise, I could be wrong though. We celebrate when the wise men got to baby Jesus. There is a story we read about their journey as they follow the star and when we were little we used to put on a silly makeshift play about it. We get gifts, but for my family it isn't nearly as many as we would get on Christmas.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ358.32
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    We don't really do much for christmas, we're having a dinner and open presents and just hang out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.65
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    My family isn't religious, and we were a bit poor when I was a kid, so Christmas was never really a huge thing. Plus, it was kind of overshadowed by all the birthdays we have around that time (me and two of my sisters, and now two of my nieces as well).

We usually spent Christmas Day at my Nan's house. It used to be an indoor affair but, as the family grew larger, it was eventually moved out into the shed (it's summer here, so this was acceptable). We would have a BBQ with salads and heaps of cold prawns. Most of the kids would end up at the beach, since Nan lived literally just across the road from it.

Nan died earlier this year, so one of my older sisters has taken up the mantle of hosting.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ2,019.86
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    My family celebrates Christmas, though it has become less and less "Christian" every year. I guess my parents figured that we kids didn't like to go to church. But I never minded going on Christmas. But there might have been a number of other reasons, too. My family is Catholic, and we stopped going to our local church after the father who was always at our church finally retired, and we didn't like the "new guy".

Now that I have a significant other, holidays are a bit more stressful. It usually involves running around to different households to make sure that we can spend time with both families. Holidays are usually restricted to my immediate family, but his family is a bit more extensive. His side of the family is also made up of much more devout Catholics than mine, and it makes things just a little bit awkward for me.

We celebrate by eating an especially large dinner and exchanging gifts. Its the same with my partner's family too, only with more alcohol.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CheshireSmile

Bones:
    Ƀ61.25
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Christmas was always a family time, I'm especially used to spending the entire day just hanging out with my sister who I'm very close to. This is the first year that isn't going to happen, because we live on opposite sides of the country now =/ But I have family-by-choice over here so I'm looking forward to spending a few days with my S.O. and hanging with my best friend for celebration.

Personally, I'm not Christian, and I care a lot more about the solstice tomorrow than anything else. I don't really do anything too special for holidays, but I try to do something new or cook something special for each one. This year I'm trying my hand at homemade cranberry sauce for the first time, wish me luck.

• Like Like x 3
  8. WolfToast

WolfToast Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ26.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :perservingface:
    Well, here in Mexico and Latin America we celebrate Posadas. It is when a group of family and friends walk around the neighbourhood asking for staying at a random house. Inside the house, we break piñatas. They are round and have 7 cones representing the 7 deadly sins, which are broken simbolizing the triumph of good over evil. The piñata is usually filled with fruit rather that candy, but it is good. Only thing I don't like are fireworks on the night of the 24th and 25th.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.20
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    We celebrate a standard Christmas on the 25th, but we do follow the German tradition of hiding a pickle ornament on Christmas Eve and having to find it on the tree the next day.

• Like Like x 3
  10. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ527.91
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Our system celebrates Yule (for the Wiccans, Druids, and Heathens) and Brumalia/Saturnalia (technically a Roman holiday, but the Hellenics in our system sometimes take inspiration from Religio Romana). Kemetism doesn't have a winter holiday we Kemetics join in due to the significance of the Sun, light/dark, etc in their beliefs too. We usually do different rituals as well as generally observe the changes of the day and night leading up to and after the winter solstice. Plus there is a lot of eating together and being together as a family/group.

Our family calls what we celebrate "Christmas" however most of our family is non-Christian, nothing about how we celebrate is religious in any way, and when we celebrate can range around several days depending upon when we can get people together.

- Z (male, snowy owl)

• Like Like x 3
  11. tipsyspacedragon

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ5.01
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I only live with my dad, so we have a small celebration at Christmas, and give gifts, and eat far too much. Every year an ice rink comes to our island, so usually I'll visit it with a squad of friends at least once. We tend to watch a lot of TV around Christmas too, since good movies are on.
    At new year, dad insists we celebrate the Scottish way, so we make a new-year-pie and watch the weird Gaelic scottish channel's broadcast from Edinburgh. One year we set off fireworks and burned a fence down, which was...eventful.

• Like Like x 3