Wolf Children | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Wolf Children

Discussion in 'Televison & Movies' started by Serious Moonlight, May 5, 2016.

1. Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight Hatchling
    Christian KinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ227.52
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    This is such a wonderful movie. I thought it would be nice to have a thread just for it.

If you haven't seen it, Wolf Children tells the story of a woman named Hana who, as a college student, falls in love with a man who turns out to be wolf-human hybrid capable of shapeshifting. The two are very happy together, even having two children (a girl named Yuki and a boy named Ame) before the father sadly drowns in a canal. Hana, now left on her own with the couple's two wolf children and threatened by eviction, child services, and neighbors annoyed by Ame's constant crying (and often both of their howling, which the landlady mistakes for pets), decides to move them all to a secluded farm.

I'd love to hear what you all thought of it if you've seen it (favorite moments, things you wonder about, emotions it gave you, etc.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  2. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I have been hoping to watch this movie for a while. I really haven't had the time though. I know that it has some pretty funny yet sad moments. I believe there is that part where the mother doesn't know whether to the bring them to the vet or the children hospital. That had me laughing. I'll have to watch it sometime; it seems like a good change in those werewolf romance movies and stories we see all around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Voffen

Voffen The dachshund and Poof
    VIP K9 Unit

Daring DachshundBronze PawSilver PawGold Paw
    Bones:
    Ƀ30,001.65
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    It is a wonderful movie! I really like how it shows all the different ways everyone are dealing with what they are and Hana's love for her children. One of the moments that really touched me is the point in Ame and Yuki's life where they really show each other how different they are when it comes to how they accept themselves and how they choose to live their lives. It isn't easy for neither of them. The movie has happy and funny moments that made me full of laugther. At the same time it has some really emotional and sad ones that actually made me cry. One of them being Ame, as a kid, crying because he doesn't want to be a wolf, asking: "Why is the wolf always bad?" while pointing at pictures in a children's book.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne The Real Fullmetal Alchemist
    Hiatus

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ94.98
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    I absolutely love this movie there are a lot of the same feelings as Ame and Yuki because I'm neither wolf (alien in my case) or human and sometimes I would rather be an alien than human but I've come to accept that I'm human in form but I will always be alien. If I had to chose whether to be one or the other like Ame did I would have made the same choice to be an alien rather than this human form. As for the movie itself it has to be my very favorite and I liked when Yuki chewed things up and Hana came in like what happened in here?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cedrotea

Cedrotea Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ379.41
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I liked it a lot! The beginning and middle were my favorite parts, but sadly I felt like at the end it wasn't as good, just kinda had some stuff to me that could've been done better. But I did like what they did with the two kids as they got older development wise. All in all, it's a pretty dang good movie!

6. WolfToast

WolfToast Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ26.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :perservingface:
    Oh, I have watched it!
    When you see it you know the feels train is coming to town.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aurelia

Aurelia Canis Lupus
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ120.07
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    I really want to watch it but I heard it's pretty sad and I just don't like sad movies. I think I will watch it someday because the children remind me of myself.

8. Serious Moonlight

Christian KinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ227.52
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    See, that's interesting to me because the ending was what really hit me the hardest. Of course, I might be overlooking some things that might have bugged me if I hadn't been so caught up in feelings XD I need to sit down and actually watch the movie again, start to finish. If we weren't all sort of scattered to the four winds when it comes to time zones, I'd suggest a Kinmunity Movie Night.

It is sad in spots, but I feel like most people are talking about the ending when they say that, and (no spoilers but) I didn't find the ending to be sad at all. I cried, sure, but not for that reason, if that makes any sense.

Now I'm curious though. To everyone who has seen the movie: Would you call Wolf Children a sad movie?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cedrotea

Cedrotea Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ379.41
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Yeah, mostly the issues I had was the whole "watch over the forest" thing, like, not going into detail of course to avoid posting spoilers, but the forest is strong, it's not gonna fall apart! I just thought it was kinda silly, but I guess they needed some reason for certain characters to get development I suppose. Unless they meant keep it safe from humans destroying it? I'm not sure.

Yeah, I could consider it sad in parts. The part with the dad was especially so, though I also feel like they never got into detail with what happened to him. Did he drown? Or did he fall and hit his head? AHH sorry, I got off topic! It was pretty sad though.

10. Serious Moonlight

Christian KinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ227.52
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    I think that's probably what was meant by 'Guardian of the Mountain' or 'Guardian of the Forest', yeah. I mean, Japan (as a whole) mostly follows Shinto or Buddhism, both of which (from what I've read) believe strongly in the balance of nature and that not respecting or otherwise disturbing that balance causes negative energy and is harmful to general wellbeing. With that in mind, a forest or a mountain guardian would make a lot of sense, acting as both defender and peace-keeper. It may have also been a reference to Japanese mythology, but I'm not sure on that.

Not actually that off-topic ^w^ I believe they said he drowned, but I'll need to watch it again to see if they actually specify. But yeah, that part hurt, no question about that :(

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cedrotea

Cedrotea Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ379.41
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Oh yeah, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about it in a spiritual sense, I guess I took it too literally and assumed that there had to be some creature watching the forest or it would all just fall apart or go to ruin. I'll watch it again since I was planning to anyway!

Yeah, drowning seems likely. It's a real shame too...but it had to be done to further the story!

12. HotRod

HotRod Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.10
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I really liked it, though I'm not sure how I felt about Yuki's overall storyline... I really relate to Ame, though another part of me really relates to Hana.

I feel like it was, if not exactly a sad movie, definitely a bittersweet one? I feel like it's a movie as much about loss as it is about love and devotion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. shikahiko

shikahiko Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.72
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Wolf Children is great, honestly I'm biased though as I adore all of Mamoru Hasoda's works. Not gonna lie I cried more than once ahaha. The animation by studio Madhouse is stellar (as usual), it's lively and smooth and very...comforting. What got me in particular was his (Hasoda's) use of a panning shot perhaps halfway through the movie tracking the children's development through school. It was an amazingly creative shot, as that sort of panning shot doesn't get used for much more than establishing sequences and such. He goes on to utilize a similar shot in his next movie and it's just...amazing how well he can direct these completely dialogue free scenes, depart a message on the viewer, evoke emotion, and progress the story without it being confusing in the slightest. He is one of my favourite directors.
    Maybe check out Bakemono no Ko, if you liked Wolf Children. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars are also excellent (Summer Wars in particular I think is his best work).

14. Paniczoure

Paniczoure The White-Furred Artist
    Staff Member Guardian

Bright PhilterTransparent PhilterVanishing PhilterSilver Otherkin HeptagramSilver Theta DeltaWuffy
    Bones:
    Ƀ131.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    I just absolutely love this movie. (It helped me awaken, actually!)
    Something that made me kinda sad was the ending, I just wanted to know more! *needs Wolf Children 2* XD
    But yeah. I love it a lot. (Thanks @MistHowler for convincing me to watch it!)

15. apex

apex Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ146.61
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :winkytongue:
    I watched this movie with my wolf ex for fun not expecting to be as moved by it as I was. Although I don't remember all the details of what happened, the feeling stuck with me. I found it to be a sad movie. Good though. Definitely worth a watch.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ74.70
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    I watched this movie a while ago. Now I want to watch the "Wolf Children 2" - if it ever gets produced and released.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ943.20
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    I identify so much with young Yuki, that was me when I was younger, bringing home frogs, bugs, having collection of bones etc, stalking other animals, outside with no shoes on, (to be fair I still do a lot of those things now, I'm just slightly more restrained). Its a great movie, I need to watch it again now!

18. Homura

Homura Hatchling
    Demonkin

CrowBlack Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ666.24
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Definitely one of my favourite movies, it's one I never tire of watching XP I also identify heavily with Yuki since I basically did all the stuff she did at a young age (I still do hoard bones and odd things I find outside though XP).