Yeah, pagan here!

Hi hi! @Owlcat what are the basic practices of your Wicca? Which of the sabbats are your favorite either in concept or to celebrate?

I am an eclectic Buddhist witch, currently focusing on triplicate goddess as represented by sun, earth, and moon and finding some ground in mythopoetics of Persephone, Demeter, and Hekate. (Each is maiden, mother, and crone archetypally, so it’s super meaty and interesting study!)

Owlcat

Hi hi! @Owlcat what are the basic practices of your Wicca? Which of the sabbats are your favorite either in concept or to celebrate?

I am an eclectic Buddhist witch, currently focusing on triplicate goddess as represented by sun, earth, and moon and finding some ground in mythopoetics of Persephone, Demeter, and Hekate. (Each is maiden, mother, and crone archetypally, so it’s super meaty and interesting study!)
Hi Opossumblossum!
First of all, as wicca is both a religion and a lifestyle, I would say the most basic practice is doing or will but harming none. Even non-practitioners follow that first rule, as well as "the law of three"... However, the basics of wicca as a religion are worshiping the Moon goddess and the Sun god, also known as Triple Goddess, and God Father, or Mother Earth and Father Sky.
Sometimes, religious practices can include magic spells, but that's not a necessity; the only magic needed for all the religious part is the same magic that any other religion includes: "praying ", talking with the deities, giving thanks for everything that is received...

Favorite sabbath... I would say my favorite sabbaths are Mabon and Samhain :) I guess I really like the idea of Mabon meaning the harvest of everything we've sown at the beginning of the year; and I think Samhain, being our real "new year" is the best example of how everything in this world works: the spiral of life-death-rebirth can be seen thought the year, and Samhain is the watershed...

I agree with you; pantheons and their different deities are such an interesting topic!! I love all the myths and how they explain almost everything in the world in such a simple and usually beautiful way... I may only follow the traditional wicca, but I admire those who go deeper and find what they need in ancient pantheons, thus putting names to those deities they worship.

I really hope you find what you're looking for!

Blessed be )o(

Owlcat

I'm pagan, too! :) I'm a solitary eclectic witch, mostly focused around using herbs, crystals, incense, and candles.
Oh! that's so great! I think your are the fourth Witch-Therian I've met, heh... But maybe we're no so much, I'm in a G+ community of Wiccan Therians, and we are only two members.... :confused: I guess that speaks for itself...

Oh! that's so great! I think your are the fourth Witch-Therian I've met, heh... But maybe we're no so much, I'm in a G+ community of Wiccan Therians, and we are only two members.... :confused: I guess that speaks for itself...
I didnt even know there was a community. I'd be happy to join. :) It's always fun meeting others similar to yourself.

elinox

As another Wiccan, I thought I should comment here too.

First of all, as wicca is both a religion and a lifestyle...
Yes and no. You don't have to live as a Wiccan, that is, openly celebrating the holidays, to still follow the religion itself. Many Wiccans are solitary practitioners because they don't feel safe sharing their religion with others. And if you happen to live with someone who's not a pagan, being open about your beliefs can be hard, and thus, not part of your lifestyle. So Wicca the religion and Wicca the lifestyle aren't always inherently connected.

However, the basics of wicca as a religion are worshiping the Moon goddess and the Sun god, also known as Triple Goddess, and God Father, or Mother Earth and Father Sky.
This completely depends on the flavor of Wicca someone is practicing. The basic tenant of Wicca regarding divinity is that "all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess" among other things. For myself, I don't follow the sun god or the moon goddess, I follow specific deities that represent those things for me. Some Wiccans solely follow the goddess (Dianic Wicca), others don't. Some follow the Horned God and Triple Goddess, others don't. And still others follow specific deities that represent the God and Goddess while others simply worship them as the Lord and Lady.

So it all depends on what type of Wicca you're practicing, since there are a lot of subtypes. ;)

Owlcat

As another Wiccan, I thought I should comment here too.

Yes and no. You don't have to live as a Wiccan, that is, openly celebrating the holidays, to still follow the religion itself. Many Wiccans are solitary practitioners because they don't feel safe sharing their religion with others. And if you happen to live with someone who's not a pagan, being open about your beliefs can be hard, and thus, not part of your lifestyle. So Wicca the religion and Wicca the lifestyle aren't always inherently connected.

This completely depends on the flavor of Wicca someone is practicing. The basic tenant of Wicca regarding divinity is that "all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess" among other things. For myself, I don't follow the sun god or the moon goddess, I follow specific deities that represent those things for me. Some Wiccans solely follow the goddess (Dianic Wicca), others don't. Some follow the Horned God and Triple Goddess, others don't. And still others follow specific deities that represent the God and Goddess while others simply worship them as the Lord and Lady.

So it all depends on what type of Wicca you're practicing, since there are a lot of subtypes. ;)
Yeah, of course, sorry if I wasn't clear... I only meant to say that Wicca can be both, a religion and a lifestyle, and for me it is so, even though I'm a solitary witch; and I was talking specifically about the Traditional Wicca, which is the branch I follow...
Actually, I wasn't completely sure about how to answer those questions because may answers may not be the same as other wiccans would have given...
But I tried to be as general as possible, which would be impossible in a short post... Hehe.

But thanks for your post, I think it's helpful to avoid confusion or misunderstandings of any kind. :)