Yesterday's Downtime | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Yesterday's Downtime

Discussion in 'News & Information' started by Shiro, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.66
    Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    Hello Kinmunity,

I would like to deeply apologize for the extended period of downtime yesterday. This downtime was due to a network problem on the end of OVH, our hosting provider and was completely beyond the control of our administration and staff. As you can read by our blog posts, we followed up with OVH multiple times during the process and worked with them to get the site back online. The OVH incident for this downtime can be found here. OVH is one of the largest hosting providers in Europe, and we feel that this incident shouldn't have happened. We will likely be moving providers in the future.

Thank you for understanding and for continuing to be a part of Kinmunity!

You may wish to follow us on Social Media for information regarding any downtime.

#1 Shiro, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    You shouldn't feel responsible, like you said it was beyond the hands of any of the modds and you did your best to work with the source to get it back up faster.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.66
    Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Regardless, all downtime effects the site and its users and it looks bad on us to be down for extended periods of time. I will be doing my best to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

4. Gryneos

Gryneos Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ484.65
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    Mood:
    :)
    Actually, I'm relieved that it was this and not that you were hacked (my imagination took me to hate-filled tumblr trolls.) I don't know if that was what happened to OKC, but I haven't even looked for their site since coming here. I like this community better :)

I am glad that y'all worked it out, even if you won't be staying with that provider.

5. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.66
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    From my knowledge, the host of Otherkin Community had applied various updates to all of their clients. One of these updates updated the version of PHP ran by the site which updated the default configuration. The reason all you see is PHP code, is because (ironically) a security feature of PHP that is now set on is preventing code from executing. Seraphyna does not have the required access to change such settings, and the actual administrator of Otherkin Community is and has been inactive for quite some time. The reason I posted a security alert regarding Otherkin Community is because an attacker can view sensitive details contained within the now-exposed PHP files.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gryneos

Gryneos Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ484.65
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    Mood:
    :)
    Yeah, I always did wonder about the php data being exposed. I know next to nothing about programming, yet figured those who do could gain access to their site easily now. Thanks for the explanation :)

7. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.55
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    We're gal it wasn't anything sinister! We love this site and are very glad to have it up and running again!

~At'Ka

• Like Like x 2