Your opinion on "wolfaboos" | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Your opinion on "wolfaboos"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stephanie Bean, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Stephanie Bean

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I think we've all encountered a wolfaboo before...those emo teens who treat therianthropy as a trend rather than a belief. Almost all of them have a wolf theriotype that they role play with and write a huge biography for. How do you deal with them? Do you ignore them? Confront them? Try to educate them?

• Like Like x 8
    • What is this? I don't even... What is this? I don't even... x 1
  2. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ52,103.91
    Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I normally just ignore them. I think they can be rather annoying, but I don't bother to stop them. Interested to see what others have to say about this

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Uh... I laugh. To be honest, I'd laugh if someone acted like that in real life around me.

But afterwards, I just ignore them. No reason for confrontation, no reason to try and educate them.

Does this make me a bit of a prick? Yeah, it probably does, but I'm not going to let some teen/tumblrkin get under my day

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rexkin

Rexkin Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ20.10
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    How would educating them do anything? Firstly I doubt they'd care and even if they did they are hardly harming anyone anyway. Lots of people have lots of different types of phases when they are teens.
    If they're happy and not hurting anyone I don't see the problem also its a good creative outlet for them. Many better things to worry about

• Like Like x 1
  5. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ528.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Just a little correction as I think you mean teen wolves, not wolfaboos? (A wolfaboo can be of any age actually. People who over romanticize wolves and spread stereotypes and misinformation about them. Teen wolves, young people who, either accidentally or not, have spread misinformation on what therianthropy is. Those who caused a rise in young therians thinking they should wear tails or collars. Etc. Many teen wolves are wolfaboos, but not all wolfaboos have anything to do with the misinformation related to therianthropy.)

Teen wolves, we try to correct if they mistake therianthropy for their life-style or visa versa. With wolfaboos, I tend to point them to actual wolf biologists though if they actually bother to listen is another matter.

- Cavern-Risen (female, werewolf)

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ128.47
    Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I've met plenty before. Honestly, I just stay out of their way or ignore them. They're not being a danger or problem or anything, they're just going through a silly teenage fad and misunderstanding what being otherkin is. If they want to pretend to be wolves and make packs, wear tails and stuff, let them.
    Arguing just gets angry teens at your back whining about how you're making them feel "upset" and "degraded", or being "elitist".

As soon as they get older, if they aren't really otherkin then they'll just grow out of it. No point educating or wasting breath on them for as long as they're not causing a problem. The only time I would intervene or educate would be if I saw a "wolfaboo"/"teen wolf" who was perhaps taking the whole thing to a dangerous extreme. I can think of several people who have done terrible things under this ideology. Wolfie Blackheart comes to mind. But that's a rare occurence.

Sure, it gets under my skin when they make people view otherkin as a joke, but to be honest, people would still think that whether they were around or not. So I've learned to stop getting angry about it and save my breath for more pressing and important things.

7. Marshall

Marshall Magical Angry Furball
    FelineHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ5,371.99
    White WingsBlack CatRainbow KitsuneChibi Cat
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :noexpression:
    Ah, I remember Wolfie Blackheart. If I remember, she was accused of injuring a dog to the point of murder. I think I remember hearing about her on the local news.

As for teen wolves in general, I ignore them. I don't try to educate anyone anymore; I got tired of it. I just let them be, hopefully they'll find their way as they grow.

8. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ3,400.14
    Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I do my best to avoid places I'm likely to run into anyone like that, so I've not really had many encounters with them. I just stick to forums, it's generally pretty safe around here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nod

Nod Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ3.63
    Primary Identity:
    Vampire
    I feel that trying to educate them is not entirely useless. Regardless of if they take to the information of not, it's at least a seed that's been planted in the back of their minds. Eventually, that information will leak out into their active thought process, one way or another. Maybe not to the degree we'd like, but it will have at least some form of impact in the future. Even after they grow out of the trend or perhaps find themselves to be a different type of kin later on. It makes it's way through.

As much of a pain as they are, I at least try to give it a shot. Afterwards, I'll take the more commonly used route and leave them to their own devices.

I find getting upset over them to be.. pointless. It's more of an apathetic approach that I generally take as an individual.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ1,613.77
    Unsettling PhilterBold PhilterChibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Wolfaboos or teen wolves or whoever you are referring to are generally annoying for different reasons. I'm not necessarily a wolf expert myself, so there isn't much I can say to wolfaboos. The only time I would ever confront a teen wolf would be if they decided to join any of the Otherkin communities I am directly involved with, such as if they were to join this website or a number of other groups. I wouldn't "go out of my way" or anything. But if they came to me, surely.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Thetis

Thetis Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ27.95
    Primary Identity:
    Angelic
    I honestly do my best to ignore them. For most of them it seems to be a trendy fad and when myself or others have tried to educate them they only become angry. My biggest problem is honestly dealing with people on tumblr, who I think are far worse than wolfaboos.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Enby Duck

Enby Duck Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Wolfie Blackheart? Someone care to inform me about this? (I would look it up myself yet I fear of seeing harmful content;
    simple explanations will do.) Also yeah when I see people like that (especially.. on.. t..umblr.. errr..) I just ignore them. Maybe
    a little biased as a minor, however from my PoV it's understandable how at the ages we are we're more vulnerable to misinformation
    and we're easily under impression of how '''cool and edgy things look''' and so we treat such controversial topics in society as we treat
    such things so lightly. Even I do still with many things which I'm still unlearning. However don't mistake this response as "Oh just let
    them continue degrading the name of therian/otherkin", it's more of.. Tell them what they're doing is harmful, if they don't listen, all well?

They still take it to mind in some way nonetheless (and as respectfully @Nod has mentioned,) and as they grow older they do eventually
    get over the phase. When you see something which many people believe that we're trying to rebel against societal's views/structures
    I believe that's what mainly attracts teens (and still myself I do this,) to things which causes them to treat things without care. Because
    you know the whole stereotypical teen angst thing. Which as many people don't like to hear is true sometimes. It's really BS for us
    therian/otherkin minors who're still soul(/kin?)-searching and still trying to find out about ourselves, however to me at least spirituality
    is something of that person's own journey. No matter what society says or how they feel of my beliefs will never truly dictate my beliefs,
    at most just shame me and degrade me for such, however as long as we aren't going to be killed over such silly things I feel as if we just
    need to understand us kids are impressionable and we search to trend things. Always been a thing.

13. Terro

Terro Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ496.39
    Voice Key
    Primary Identity:
    Angelic
    I attempt to open communication through very relaxed messages if it is appropriate. Easier to slowly redirect a few degrees at a time rather than knock the other way with a 2x4 across the face, metaphorically speaking of course.

The 2x4 is so tempting though... so very tempting.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Rexkin

Rexkin Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ20.10
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Wolfie blackheart, neighbour's dog went missing. A dog skull was found in his/her (can't remember with such a silly name) bedroom and it blew up. Sort of a cult leader for teen wolves, very good at getting people to be very loyal (similar to Hitler in that regard I suppose)

15. Tyrant

Tyrant Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    My response to teen wolves and wolfaboos is the same.
    Online: *sigh* Scroll away.
    Offline: *sigh* Ignore.

16. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.55
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Picking up where Terro left off, apparently the dog was dead before she/he got it. She/he was into taxadermy and removed the head. They posted photos of the process and the owner recognized the dog from the photos. He had been missing for a few days. So that was a total mess with nothing coming of it really except a cult following of Wolfe and more teen wolves showing up.

On the line of the thread, we question them like we would any kin that steps into our line of view. We would see if they were for real and if they just turned out to be a teen wolf, we would usually ignore them. But there are chances that they're actually kin so we try to keep an open mind. If we find they are kin we tend to take them under our wings and help as best we can.

~Jessie

• Like Like x 5
  17. Enby Duck

Enby Duck Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Oh how gross.. Isn't it illegal to perform taxidermy on deceased animals unless if there's explicit permission you need or
    for monetary reasons? (In the US I mean.) Either way it's highly disturbing and I feel sick. Poor dog, hope he's okay.
    (FYI I actually did end up looking it up real quick; the person goes by she/her pronouns if that helps.)

18. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.55
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Afraid we're not versed in those laws so we can't tell you honestly.

~Jessie

19. Sudrolth

Sudrolth Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.01
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I don't think I've ever actually encountered a wolfaboo, since I tend to not get involved with that type of crowd. However, online I do see them and it's easy to ignore, even though it is almost an insult to therianthropy itself to treat it like a trend.

20. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.82
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    I mostly ignore them. I have probably run into several of them, seeing as how I live in furry central. If they want to make fools of themselves, that is their business, and I will not get involved, but I do feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face.